Norlin bridge studs a little wiggly

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by NorlinBlackBeauty, Oct 30, 2017.

1. NorlinBlackBeauty

NorlinBlackBeauty Member

I have ordered a Faber Tone Lock bridge thanks to the superb information posted here. The thread below asks how could (or should I?) reduce the bit of slop in the holes in the body. I've have the studs out many times over the years which created the gaps. I was thinking a bit of Teflon tape ... please stop me before I do something stupid. :)

Not sure if anyone is going to read the bumped thread so I posted this one.

http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/faber-abr-1-locking-for-the-win.368348/page-2#post-8421437

I've looked over several threads and many posts. The Nashville bridge setup seems to be less than popular here. Glad I checked before blindly leaping into getting one.

2. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

NOTHING wrong with a Nashville my friend..I'd replace with one if that's what they came with stock..and I have owned 30+ Norlin era Gibsons..

3. NorlinBlackBeauty

NorlinBlackBeauty Member

I'm surely not knocking the Nashville. Increased saddle travel is nothing but good. My Norlin is all original aside from pups and knobs.

I read many a post where members seem to prefer the sound of the ABR and the Faber specifically.

You opinion of the slightly wiggly studs?

4. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

Oh I didn't think you were..mine have a had a slight wiggle..but not under string tension..as long as everything is solid when tuned to pitch..I don't worry about it.

I'd LOVE to hear someone pick out a ABR-1 and Nashville on a recording. :D

MSB likes this.
  5. NorlinBlackBeauty

NorlinBlackBeauty Member

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    Kris Ford likes this.
  6. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

Good call!

Also, welcome by the way!!

Don't mind me LOL..I get rather emotional when it comes to Norlin era stuff. :D

7. NorlinBlackBeauty

NorlinBlackBeauty Member

Yeah, that HUGE Norlin image in your sig is a dead giveaway. :)

Kris Ford likes this.
  8. 1981 LPC

1981 LPC Senior Member

Faber iNsert is a great non-invasive and affordable upgrade for loose fitting Nashville studs. In my experience there was "more guitar" after installing them. Sounds a bit vague but it's my best description of how it affected the sound.

Rock solid fit so no more tuning and intonation issues. Their website has info regarding using iNserts with Nashville and abr type bridges. I use their locking abr - works great.

9. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

There are plenty of examples of people experiencing tonal change after solidifying those crappy Nashville inserts. So yes, you could pick a recording of the same guitar before and after and find it is most certainly audible.
    As a bridge is only a smallish part of the whole, it would be patently silly to assume that there will be a consistent change - or even one where you can identify one type vs another. However the fact that it can (and has) made people's guitars sound better to them is a solid reason to consider making the switch. The press-in versions are fully reversible to regular Nashville should you not like any tone shift.

10. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

I meant telling an ABR-1 vs a Nashville in a recording..and a tonal change isn't always for the better..my main beef with lightweight tailpiece.
    :D