Noob changes strings on his R7...you'll love this.

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by Gigan, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Gigan

Gigan Senior Member

Well some of you know I've only been playing for about 4-5months now. Yesterday I made up my mind that I was going to change my strings becase my git wasn't sounding as well as I thought it should. So I went to GC and bought some DR pure blues and figured if I'm gonna do this I better do it all. I also bought fret dressing, polish and lube for the nut ans so forth. Doods and Dolls, I have no experience with doing this stuff so it was a fun couple of hours. I had no idea that when you take the strings off the abr would just fall off like that:shock:, Hehe, but I got past that took off all that stuff and began to polish off the VOS finish, (I'm not a fan of it) while doing so every time I past the posts that hold the abr bridge in I would hear this whirring sound, I soon found out I was spinning these puppies out of the original position :shock: Well after figuring things out I strung it up ( one sting would not change pitch while tunning it up no matter what so I turned the tunning key more and more and nothing till I heard a snap!! Um ya, I was turning the E key but plucking the A key....) and put it all back together. I began to play it but it did not sound so good. The strings sounded terrible so I looked at em all and noticed the bridge was way low action, like the strings were resting on the pick up's:naughty: I quickey loosend the strings and raised the bridge. I did a tuning and man this this was rocking, a noticable difference!!! Then I heard what I did not want to hear! A buzzing that came whenever I played the low E string I was freaking out what did I do to my baby?!?! After 20 mins of trying to locate the buzz I found the culprit. It was my acoustic sitting too close to the amp. The strings on it would buzz on the low notes! I was releaved to say the least. I have a feeling the next time I change strings it will go smoother:fingersx:

2. terence_tez

terence_tez V.I.P. Member

its your rite of passage... trust me,everyone screws things up when they just start out...no big deal...

3. WildeStarr

WildeStarr V.I.P. Member

Get the Tone Pros bridge and tailpiece, they lock in place so they never fall off.

4. terence_tez

terence_tez V.I.P. Member

any idea who makes the stock hardware fer gibson?i always thought my standard came with tone pros...

5. WildeStarr

WildeStarr V.I.P. Member

I think some of the new Gibsons have Tone Pros, but I am not sure. If it is Tone Pros, it would not fall off.

TonePros Sound Labs Int'l

6. Nugget

Nugget V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

That all sounds normal to me!

Trust me it'll all become second nature after a couple of hundred sets of strings.

7. loneguitar

loneguitar Senior Member

believe me the more you do it the easier it'll be, but we all have similar stories I'd bet, congrats you lost your virginity

8. Gigan

Gigan Senior Member

thanx people!

9. tarddoggy

tarddoggy V.I.P. Member

It only gets easier,but,I have been playing close to 25 yrs. now and I still dread changing strings!! I love new strings,hate the time it takes away from jammin'!! sounds silly I know

10. MIDNIGHT

MIDNIGHT V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

im pretty sure ill probably mess it up too when my first time comes around.. thankfully that wasn't the case when i did it for my acoustic guitar.. :thumb: .. but with an electric it might be another story :rofl:

11. VictorB

VictorB Formerly LZF Super Mod

I just change one string at a time to avoid knocking the action out of whack.