No reviews or interest in BC rich? Whats happening?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Dawis67, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Dawis67

Dawis67 Junior Member

Hi everyone.
    I been looking at guitars lately (actually i do it all the time), and i one BC rich in paticular the Mockingbird MK9 caught my eye. As allways i would like to see some reviews before i consider the guitar, but i cant find ANYTHING. Is BC Rich dead? I mean their rep is pretty low these day but not even a single review on a guitar thats been out for more than a year? Not a single YT video of it. Have any of you had experience with BC rich guitars lately. Why aint people buying them? Is there some flaw that everybody knows about or something in paticular that draws people away from BC rich?

Tnx for the replies

2. Who

Who are you? Who who who who.... Premium Member

Because no one famous has given the guitar enough of a desirability factor.

People will deny it, but that is a HUGE factor in what makes a guitar sell. If Slash or Joe Perry had stuck with Mockingbirds, the world would be full of them.

Here's a couple of threads I found. You're right, there doesn't seem to be a lot:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/bc-rich-mockingbird-arrived-today.1793655/
    https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1695217

Kris Ford and C_Becker like this.
  3. Who

Who are you? Who who who who.... Premium Member

acstorfer likes this.
  4. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

BAM!

IMG_1136.JPG

Sorry, can't help with your question. Just wanna say there's still a lot of BCR love.

Firefinger, danohat and Who like this.
  5. C_Becker

C_Becker Dat Gibson smell Premium Member

Do they have any famous endorser besides Kerry King ?
    [​IMG]

6. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Looking at the site, it seems as if they cancelled all the other Sig. models they had over the last couple of years. I *think* the company is in transition again. A year or so ago I thought I read something about them having a new owner (??) who was changing stuff up. Looks like it!!! Only two models - the Mockingbird and the Warlock. Looking at Musician's Friend it seems the prices have crept up a little a little too - hopefully the quality is increasing as well. It'll be interesting to see the outcome. Some of the Korean imports from the past few years, like the Gunslinger Retro and the Mockingbird ST were decent guitars....but the line was SERIOUSLY diluted by a bunch of cheap GC "filler" guitars. RUINED the brand in my opinion. It's interesting that the Handmade Riches are still in the $3K+ range....I wonder who is "handling" that line. There was NO mention of them on the BCR website, that I saw anyway.....

7. Victek

Victek Senior Member

I can't answer your question generally, but my personal experience with the Mockingbird is it didn't hang properly. The one I owned was neck heavy, meaning that the neck would simply drop if I wasn't constantly holding it up while playing. That's caused by the fact that the top horn doesn't extend far enough to provide a balance point for the strap pin. I don't know if this is the case with all Mockingbirds, but it's something to keep in mind when you test drive them if you like to play standing up with a strap. Before buying mine I played one at the local GC sitting down and the position of the guitar was fine.

8. BBD

BBD Senior Member

The Mockingbirds that hang best are the 22-fret ones like the Special X and the Neil Boshart signature, neither of which are made anymore and are, sadly, hard to find:

[​IMG]

The neck is fatter too, more like a V2 LP. They're pretty nice guitars.

I nicked this image from forum member Firefinger (source this thread). I hope he doesn't mind...

Firefinger and Rocco Crocco like this.
  9. The_Nuge

The_Nuge Senior Member

I think they've gone seriously down the last 15 or 20 years! These days, most of what you find are terrible MIC bolt-on guitars o the hideous "Classics" that look really bad!
    I the old days you had the USA ones or the cheaper MIJ "NJ" series, but none of the rubbish they have now.
    I keep an eye out for a USA Mockingbird or Bich, but at least have this ca. 1980 B.C.Rico Mockingbird (precursor to the NJ series, neck-through, MIJ but modified with USA-like electronics) that I've owned for ~25 years :thumbs:
    [​IMG]

mmd and acstorfer like this.
  10. BBD

BBD Senior Member

Here in the UK, the shift to Chinese production was accompanied by a massive price hike. Since the new models (Mk 9 and all the other numbers) are pretty much identical to the Korean production that ended in 2015 (2016?) then the price hike may have completely killed sales. It certainly *should* have killed sales as it was completely unjustifiable. The new models lost the ebony fingerboards (bad) and the choice of veneers on the body mostly look awful. Maybe that's why there's no interest out there.

mmd likes this.
  11. Petergrifindor

Petergrifindor Senior Member

It is a pity. I have two Korean ones, with two ebony boards that would make any Gibson Custom shop proud.

Fantastic guitars, and the Kerry King only cost 500$ brand new when I bought it. The stealth isnĀ“t on production anymore.

Here in Madrid we have a shop that usually has BC RICH guitars in stock, but they have to put very strong discunts for them to sale. Last month I saw a handmade draco for 1500$.

Firefinger likes this.
  12. Dawis67

Dawis67 Junior Member

Seems like there are a bit of a mixed opinions here. The other choice, but more expensive is, Gibson LP Classic 2017 (ocean green). That one is gorg, but its slightly more expensive. But actually im a collage student and i dont NEED a new guitar. I reciently got Chibson LP, which sounds (even with stock pups) and plays very well. The problem with it is that its not gloss finish. Also the bridge might be slightly in a wrong place since i cant intonate it 100% in tune (altho it doesnt sound bad at all its just my OCD that wants it 100% perfect). Also its bit light and falls towards the body, in other words not very well ballanced.

13. BBD

BBD Senior Member

Wrong thread?

14. bungle

bungle Senior Member

Arrgg chibson..

endial and C_Becker like this.
  15. warmachine

warmachine Senior Member

Some eras of 2000's BC Rich imports have a hideous amount of clear coat on them. Thicker than Ragu. Makes a cool shape like a Mockingbird looks like a candy coated toy.

16. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

IMO, there's not much to talk about except the Bernie era. That's when the exceptional guitars made a name that's still trying to hang on, but won't ever get back to that status. Nothing replaces a few great designs, all hand made and by a shop full of people who share the same vision. So far, that original recipe hasn't even come close to being replicated for BC Rich over the different iterations since.

BC Rich Eagle.jpg BCR Body.jpg BCR Headstock.jpg

The_Nuge and acstorfer like this.
  17. Dawis67

Dawis67 Junior Member

Whats wrong with a chibson?. Somebody worked hard to make it and for cheap money. It was never meant to replace a Gibson. Reason i got it was curiosity and that i had heard good reviews about them. Now that i live close to a guitar store i have had the opportunity to compare my 300usd chibson to the Gibson, classic, traditional and standard. I can say that the chibson stands pretty strong. Being that price its great. Body has flaws, the finish is more matte than gloss, its more body heavy and sometimes is annoying to ballance, damn, after trying the standard, i was blown away by how similar it was. Standard played smoother and the finish was considerably better, but as a piece of wood that is supposed to convert the vibrations of strings into an electrical signal at a great quality, chibson does a bloody fine job. Even with stock china pickups.

Edit: Getting a chibson has in no shape or form decreased my desire for a genuine LP

18. T00DEEPBLUE

T00DEEPBLUE Senior Member

Quite a lot of things actually.

The fact that it has Gibson on the headstock is a direct infringement of copyright and by purchasing that guitar, you're enabling people to make a living by exercising practices that are totally unethical and in many modern countries, totally illegal.

You kind of deserve to be shamed, given that you knew what you were buying was a fake. The fact that so many other singlecut LP-style guitars can be bought for $300 (including Epiphones) that don't in any way infringe copyright, you have no excuse in buying a fake.

As for the quality of Chibsons, with anecdotes like this one floating around,

http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/fake-gibson-with-fake-truss-rod.326325/

You're going to have a heck of a time convincing anyone on this forum that the guitar you've bought was made to any standard which constitutes a quality instrument.

endial, bungle, acstorfer and 2 others like this.
  19. bungle

bungle Senior Member

20. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

I think the thing BC Rich has going against them is their visual designs. People tend to either love them or hate them. Visually, they don't really cross over very many genres of music, either. One could argue that this shouldn't matter, but when a band is putting their image together, these things are factors. By the same comparison, I doubt we'll see very many of the EVH Striped series guitars on stage with bands for the same reason.

It seems fair to point out that the more successful guitar companies tend to have body shapes that tend to transcend musical genres.

That's a knock on BC. It just seems like a fact to me.