No more Gibson Memphis Historics/Reissues???

Discussion in 'Other Gibsons' started by Dr335, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Dr335

Dr335 Junior Member

Just saw this and it appears that, according to this site, Gibson Memphis have slimmed down their offering to just five models with no '59 or '63 ES335s. Although I have to say the 'ES335 Traditional' does look lovely now they don't appear to be staining the insides black anymore...

http://www.musicradar.com/news/gibson-memphis-unveils-2018-guitar-range

Does anybody have any more info on this? It is early days and it could be that they will launch a historic/reissue line late in the year, but if not it seems a shame given all the effort that went into the '59 and '63 ES335 reissues in recent years, not to mention the 330s...

Dr335

2. wmachine

wmachine Senior Member

Just my observation, no inside information here. I think you'll see more in the future, but just not out of the gate in 2018. Supply and demand. I believe they're just adjusting to an over supply/under demand of previous years sales. And Gibson is tightening their corporate belt. Competition and high selling prices have not helped their sales.
    They can release new model at any time. And there are always the dealer exclusive models that don't show up on the Gibson webpage.

3. Who

Who are you? Who who who who.... Premium Member

4. Dr335

Dr335 Junior Member

5. tolm

tolm Bigsby Junkie Premium Member

I think Gibson Memphis have been turning out some of the best instruments Gibson have made in the last 5-10 years, making it difficult to justify why the Nashville “Custom Shop” reissues are so much more for expensive. This could be Henry’s way of (re)positioning the Memphis line to drive buyers to Nashville for higher end Gibsons.

6. wmachine

wmachine Senior Member

That would make sense, but there has not been a lot to connect making sense with what is being done.

7. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

When were the insides stained black?

8. Dr335

Dr335 Junior Member

I thin they were stained black on the inside from around 2014-17. It was what put me off getting a 355 back in 2014...

I have found a pic where you can see the staining pretty clearly, they did this for all the ES3X5 series except the historics/reissues at the time that I bought my 50th anniversary 1963 Es-335

Attached Files:

9. wmachine

wmachine Senior Member

If one goes to the CME site and look at the ES photos, using the "zoom" you can look into the f-holes and confirm what you are saying. All except the historics/reissues are black.

10. jamman

jamman Premium Member

I wouldn't worry about Gibson Not Listing guitars on their site ,,,Many never get listed . (BTW- it's really very early for next years listings) Nothing new about that . Will they still make the Memphis 59 335 ? I'm betting on it . Since all 335 builds were switched over to Memphis a few years back , Those done in the Nashville CS are all very limited runs .

Yes the List/MAP price for a CS - '59 335 is higher then the Memphis '59 335 list from last year , should tell you something ...HJ hasn't decided on the NEW Price for the Memphis guitar ... It's going up , how much is the question . I've seen only 2 of these CS -59 335's this year(at the higher price) At WW .
    Look for a left over and a good deal for 1 . the closer to 2013 you can get ,imo the better . Even if it's used . They were made different when the Early 1's (blister top run)were first produced , And All were a higher priced then the CS offering for 3-4 years .

11. Breezin

Breezin Senior Member

So are the es-339 and the es-Les Paul discontinued?

12. Pappy58

Pappy58 Senior Member

The consensus is that Gibson is ceasing production of historic/reissues and retiring those labels. All CS vintage models are to be MTM only. This has been the case for Les Paul for months. So only high end dealers are ordering MTM historics for inventory and they are labeled "Custom Shop Les Paul Standards". It seems the same may be happening with the ES line as well.