No more BS !!! ,who's played a real burst????

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by bonanza2252003, Nov 18, 2008.

1. BurstWurst

BurstWurst Member

Considering the thread title, there sure is a ton of bullsh1t in this thread. I've been making music for a LONG time. I have a 59 burst (for 35 years) and a 59 cherry B3/Leslie combo (20 years). Someone went beyond guitar talk and suggested there are better tonewheel organ choices than a real B3. This poster had already said he had never played a Burst. I'm guessing there's no B3 out there in his vegas studio either. In my experience, I have no trouble in saying Bonanza is all wet. One day a really nice burst will stumble into his hands. And, perhaps he'll find himself in the presence of a B3 master who knows how to tap the full potential from one of these tonewheel monsters. Then, he'll know better. Experience is KING. Nonetheless, Bonanza, thanks for the invite. However, there are myriad issues in traveling with my 59 burst.

2. bonanza2252003

bonanza2252003 Senior Member

Ok I've played 3 of them now .Two 57's and one 58 ,So far I'm not impressed and still calling bullshit. Were they cool guitars with a cool vintage vibe .Yes of course but so is my 58 supro .It sounds cooler and different than any other guitar I've ever played so I guess I should boost the price up to $200,000 when I go to sell it. The model Supro I own there are a lot less of than bursts too. I think a good replica built with old wood by a top notch luthier to spec( braz,hide,bone etc etc.) is as good as any burst and in some cases better . a hell of a lot cheaper too.

If they(Gibson custom shop ) used the right Wood and finishes .(they used too early on until it became illegal and too expensive to import it) The custom shop stuff would be just as good too. Some of the early custom shop stuff was built with old growth and Brazilian , just didn't have the glue and finishes right.

For those of you who have and play bursts and swear there is nothing that compares .You are only fooling yourself .I'll put my Supro up against your burst in a blind test any time and I bet my Supro wins . 9 outa 10. LOL BAAAAAHAAAAAAhaaaa.:fingersx:

3. BurstWurst

BurstWurst Member

So, you're saying your supro sounds more like a burst than a busrt........

Where's my hip waders?

Stirring the pot is one thing, but, this is downright silly!

4. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

BurstWurst, +10 on the Hammond. I've had the privilege of knowing Bryan Davenport, one of the most known B3 experts in Europe and I've played several of them and I must say that there's no instrument on the planet Earth that even come close of a B3. They are in a league of their own.
    And you my friend own both a 'burst and a B3, that's serious cool.

5. BurstWurst

BurstWurst Member

My outfit includes only my guitar and a B3, and of course bass and drums. The B3 player pretty much DEMANDS that I play the burst. He's got a great set of ears. You can get some serious milage with just a burst and a B3 in the right hands.

6. bonanza2252003

I have no doubt about that . I couldn't have said it better " In the right hands" . EVH could make my supro sound like his Super strat.

7. bonanza2252003

No .I,m saying my supro has a way cool vintage vibe just as an old burst does. But now that you mention it . There is a Les Paulish vibe to it. don't take me too seriously . Others have and now don't even talk to me anymore (BCR Greg). This is all a matter of opinion and taste. There are millions of guitar players out there that think all Les Pauls suck .I play primarily Les Pauls myself and love them . But don't buy into the hype and holy grail BS .there are a lot of amazing instruments out there . If a guitar talks to you then its the Holy Grail no matter who built it.:naughty:

8. Rikochet

Rikochet Senior Member

just realized this thread was from 2008, nevermind.......

9. Benguitar

Benguitar Senior Member

I held a 59 once. :)

[​IMG]

Other than that, I won't say I actually played one.

It felt really nice though, "Soft" because it was so worn around the edges. :)

10. Ride on a Pony

Ride on a Pony Senior Member

You should have played some Jonas Brothers and Lady Gaga on it, just in spite of everyone.

Where was that at?

11. teemunknee

teemunknee Senior Member

That's also why I like the older ladies ;) :laugh2::laugh2:
    :h5:

None of them play or sound as good :)

12. mr. moon

mr. moon Senior Member

I got to play a '59 about 9 months ago or so just after getting my 2009 R9. Below is a link to a thread with the details, plus some additional posts to the thread with links to vids and discussion regarding the specific burst I played. The bottom line for me is that as someone previously put it, "it felt soft" and worn, but not worth the $100,000.00 + price tag it had on it ($180,000.00 when I played it, now tagged at $119,000.00). To my admittedly pedestrian tastes, I'd much rather beat the fuk out of my 2009 R9 which has the best feel of any guitar I've ever owned in the 25+ years I've been playing (see my avatar and a couple other posts here at MLPF for shots of it), than have to delicately handle a "players guitar" like this one...

Anyways, here's the link:
    I got to play a *REAL* '59 burst today!! - Les Paul Forum

:slash:

13. Benguitar

Benguitar Senior Member

Joe Perry Project - Orlando FL

[​IMG]

14. River

River Senior Member

You are truly obsessed, aren't you?

That's really not good, you know?

[​IMG]

You might want to consider broadening your horizons.

15. bonanza2252003

Ok here is a list of guitars used by Jeff Beck at his recent one off show in London attended by Jimmy Page,Robert Plant and several other rock royalty. I think we can all agree that Beck epitomizes the essense of feel ,spirit ,class and ultimate tone. Guitars : Butterscotch Fender custom shop relic 1951 No-caster ,An oxblood Gibson custom shop 1954 JB les Paul prototype, a black 50's era Gretsch 6128 Duo Jet with bigsby. and hold on here it comes .A VINTAGE WHITE SUPRO DUAL TONE !!!!!!!! yehhhh . What did I tell you Supro's rule . Considering Jeff can play any guitar he likes and chooses two modern custom shop models over originals says something and his only two vintage guitars were the SUPRO !!!!! and the Gretsch.
    As an earlier poster said, the spirit and soul of the player is what makes an instrument sound great. Hendrix never had a special instument nor was ever attached to any perticular guitar .In fact he used to destroy them by the dozens and then just grab a dozen more strats off the rack at any particular music store he was near at the time. He realy didn't give two hoots about gutars ,setups ,pickups etc. He could pick up any guitar and his soul would shine out of it. Just imagine if he did have a special instrument that he primarily used !!! like page or clapton . It would sell for a fortune at auction. But no such instrument exists. Claptons Blackie ( strat) sold for just shy of a million US $ .
    Anyhow SUPRO'S STILL RULE , Just ask Jeff Beck !!!!!!!!!

16. flashriffs

flashriffs Senior Member

No bull here, this is me playing the KOSS BURST

[​IMG]

17. SoloDallas

SoloDallas Senior Member

I remember you. You had great videos on youtube. Really good playing.
    Nice to see you here.
    In that image you're holding the guitar I have been dreaming of since a little kid. Makes a certain effect. Thanks for showing.

18. BurstMeUp

BurstMeUp Member

I played 5 bursts (1-1958, 3-1959s, 1-1960), and a '57 goldtop in the same day a couple of years ago while visiting JG in southern Cal. (note the stupid pen stuck in my shirt)

[​IMG]

19. Barber

Barber Senior Member

wow

do you own the guitar?

do you know the history of it?

Are you by any chance playing the open A chord at the start of all right now, the propper kossoff way with the pinkie on the 5th fret?

20. El Toro

El Toro V.I.P. Member