No more BS !!! ,who's played a real burst????

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by bonanza2252003, Nov 18, 2008.

1. fretboarder

fretboarder Senior Member

i dont beleive any of that stuff at all. its all just hype that surrounds the old les pauls cause people want to beleive..

2. Lousyatit

Lousyatit Senior Member

I'm really curious as to how you arrived at this conclusion?

3. Greg's Guitars

Greg's Guitars Senior Member

do the math ,it all adds up..bwahahahaha

4. moodyedge

moodyedge Senior Member

no, and i dont consider myself to have missed out on anything worthy of anything other than food for ego

5. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

Definitely more to it than food for ego. The only one I played was a truly exceptional guitar, but still just a guitar obviously. Somewhere under all the hype there is a reason why they are so highly valued - but you get a lot more "bang for your buck" with a Junior, a Special, and probably a "black guard" Tele...

6. moodyedge

moodyedge Senior Member

hmm...i dont know...a lot of conceptual bollocks gets in the way when it comes to vintage gear, the belief that things were always better way back when...gets sexed up a hell of a lot....in general..not just guitars so...pinches of salt and all that.

The feel of a guitar is whats number one for me...so i might appreciate that.

2. tone- id prob appreciate that

but is that worth 300,000k......nar.....i can get amazing tone for a fraction of that.

i always slated teles...but...now i want one..ithink........

listening to gary moores i' had a dream' made me want one....i love the tone of it....its really nice

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYBGgkIOzX8]YouTube - Gary Moore - I Had A Dream (Close As You Get) New 2007[/ame]

it will be a mexi standard id luk for i guess....will use it here and there as a spare guitar really.

my mate just bought a old tele copy and he said its the best guitar hes ever owned and hes got some Nice gear....its cost him £150 !! says it feels amazing to play...played in and all that

7. Deguello

Deguello Senior Member

I have played a 58' and a 59' burst...
    I can honestly say that I have never played any other guitar in my life that can compare to either one ( and I have played many guitars).... Both feel and sounds amazing, though I slightly preferred the 58'

I do not think any guitar is worth the kind of money...But that is for collectors to decide, they control the price..I am no collector, just a guitar player and IMO, Those are the best I have ever had the privilege of playing

8. Pageburst

Pageburst Member

I've played several vintage LPs SGs ES335s Strats and Teles. While some of these were fantastic playing guitars they were not as a rule tonally superior to their custom shop / Historic / boutique counterparts.

While everyone's experience is unique, there are people who certainly have a financial interest in perpetuating the myth that vintage guitars are better than their newer counterparts.

9. moodyedge

moodyedge Senior Member

:thumb:

it comes dopwn to good guitaras vs great guitars and i imagine they are all over in most ranges.....some vintage were great, some were just good. The thought in the head that says that was the golden age for the les paul gets augmented as the perceived value goes up.

A great guitar is a great guitar no matter if it was made 40 years ago, or yesterday. But by "owning" a guitar with so called "value" that helps to support the illusion that it has in some way added something to who a person is...a mental concept of ownership...thats mine...!! and then you can tell people about it and your sense of self appears to have grown. Its an illusion perpertated by mental conditioning through humanity and is of course, an unconsciouss movement. Mental attachment to things is a mental disease. The great wall street crash is a good eample, people were jumping from windows because "they lost everything"..........their sense of identity is tied up in things they own.....very weird....What you own has nothing to do with who you truely are, its a common misconception.

A great guitar is a great guitar no matter if it was made 40 years ago, or yesterday or if it happens to be worth £2000 or £200,000.

Its subjectice again like most things......a guitar I thought felt amazing to play and sounded great the next person could think it feels like a toilet seat with a neck attached.

If 100 people agreed with me that a particular guitar was amazing and 5 didnt, that doesnt make the 100 right and the 5 worng..there is no right and wrong...just opinion....its relative.

10. Greg's Guitars

Greg's Guitars Senior Member

"If I have to explain it , you really wouldn't understand"

11. Silly_Sam

Silly_Sam Senior Member

I have, a 1958. It felt different from today's gibsons, but I dont know how much of it was the guitar itself and how much of it was its vibe.

12. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

:applause:

The bizarre thing is that the longest posts in this very long thread are mainly from people justifying why they don't need to play a 1957-1960 Les Paul Standard. They already know so much about what they are going to be like.

I consider myself to be pretty objective, so I won't go any further than saying the 50's Les Pauls I have played have been exceptional instruments.

My experience hasn't really mirrored that. I've played a few 50s/60s Strats, Les Pauls, and Teles. Tonally they have been as a rule quite a bit different from Custom Shop, Boutique and Historic equivalents. But I'm with you about playability. Some of the 50s Gibson production makes the recent Plek'd guitars seem very poorly fretted and set up.

Liam

13. 59bluze

59bluze Senior Member

Played a burst first time at Phil Pierangelo's House in Solana Beach Ca,about 1974, He had a walk in Safe/Vault for his vintage guitars I was 21 years old and in guitar Heaven, Played a 59, and a 58, There were so many killer pieces there Flying V, 59 Dot neck 335, to name a few,Phil was a great guy he opened the safe and said Dig in Man! I purchased my own 58 in 1981, for $4500,00

14. RocknRollService

RocknRollService Member

I played some of those guitar in my life. Here is a quite recent shot of 9-0424.
    [​IMG]

15. joebonsai

joebonsai Senior Member

aah
    The 'Major' Burst in the best shop!!!
    was that picture taken just before the guitar left back to the states??
    btw I saw the guitar in the 80's when she arrived!!!!

Me and a very nice 59

:hippie:

Attached Files:

16. Hamtone

Hamtone Senior Member

I have played my fathers 59 335 dot..I recently check the serial numbers and its a 59..59 les paul, no.

I want to add that the what Liam said about the plek'd fret jobs versus the playability of old. I have said this in the other guitar forum and was chastised for it. In the old days one guy built the guitar played it set it up etc. No machine can do this and every guitar is different and needs to be handled by a luthier. They all will have different thickness frets and heights even after a plek job, its takes the care of a person to handle the instrument to "temper" it correctly.

17. RocknRollService

RocknRollService Member

Joe, the pic was taken before the guitar went to the States

18. tnvol

tnvol Senior Member

I played a 60 Burst about 10 years ago at a guitar show in Nashville. It had tons of mojo for what it was but as a player, it was nothing special. Had it been set up properly it might have been better. That's not a blanket statement about all bursts, but that one wasn't as awesome as I would have thought it should have been. I've seen some before in Gruhns that took my breath away. Didn't get to play those though.

19. LazyPaisley

LazyPaisley Senior Member

ive never played a burst before, but i think the tone that people are after comes more from the amp than the guitar anyways, some crazies around here are being so picky on the wood and wiring techniques that they forget about the real reason why those old recording sound so good, and im not saying that the guitars themselves arnt important to the tone, im only saying that the amp has way more effect on the sound you hear than the guitar wood does.
    as far as the mojo and the feel of the guitar, yah i think that a well built burst would kick the ass of MOST historics and reissue. and if i had the money you bet i would buy one, no questions asked

20. Exluthier

Exluthier Senior Member

Closest I ever got was a '60 Es 345 that I inherited from my grandfather. Beautiful guitar, finish wasn't even checked on it. Sounded great, but I've heard and played newer guitars that I'd put up against it as well.