Nite Train 15w Speaker Replacement

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by FW EPI 2013, Aug 27, 2017.

1. FW EPI 2013

FW EPI 2013 Junior Member

Looking for suggestions for speaker replacement. Current install CelestionGreenback G12M, 16ohm. 25w.
    I'm considering to replace with a speaker that will be brighter in the NT. but still, could provide the beautiful Vox tone when needed.

I wear hearing aids and my tastes have changed to a brighter sound for playing. I play at low-level # 5 on the Vol. Rhythm only. I haven't made it to the point of playing the lead, but do wish I'd get there soon.

Any suggestions?

2. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

FW, I've gone through a few speakers for my NT. I'm assuming you are using the combo. Of the five speakers I've tried in a closed-back 1x12 cab, the brightest was a Celestion G12F-60 aka. 'Rockdriver Junior'. They don't make these anymore, but according to Dr. Decibel, the closest speaker they have to a match is a V-Type. Good luck with the hunt.

bulletproof likes this.
  3. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

your g12M greenback is actually kinda on the dark side... that's what I like about mine, actually... it sounds like you would like a V30... I've always felt the V30 is too bright, especially at home-volumes... it opens up with live volume though...

northernguitarguy likes this.
  4. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

One further point to the V-Type. I noticed the other day that these now come stock in new Fender Twin Reverb RI amps. I figure Fender found them a good fit for the TR warm, chewey goodness. I always felt Fender used bright speakers to best compliment this. Might be a winner for you.

5. FW EPI 2013

FW EPI 2013 Junior Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into them.