Nice LP custom with no identifying info?

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by Les Paul Newb, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Les Paul Newb

Les Paul Newb Senior Member

IMG_8806.JPG IMG_8805.JPG IMG_8803.JPG IMG_8804.JPG

Looks like a nice guitar. Just can't tell what it is. Set neck, there appears to be only 1 screw on the truss rod cover. The fingerboard has rounded corners by the neck pup, which I've seen on a Matsumoto Aria custom (bolt-on neck). Any guesses?

2. MichaelAndrew3435

MichaelAndrew3435 Premium Member

I'm no expert, but the Custom logo looks a bit off. Also, the fretboard isn't ebony from the looks of it. Most Customs I know of come with an ebony or richlite board expect for the Custom Lite. It's definitely not a Lite. Maybe they put rosewood boards on the really old models? Regardless, I've never seen an LP Custom with the info removed. I'd be very wary.

3. tosh78

tosh78 Senior Member

I agree. Definitely not ebony.
    And yes, the logo seems to be a bit strange. The only company I know that do only one screw for the TRC is Edwards but I've never seen a custom like this made by them

4. J-Dizzle

J-Dizzle Senior Member

looks a bit like a pre-1975 made at the Matsumoko factory.

Who likes this.
  5. ajory72

ajory72 Senior Member

/\ yes but how does it play???

FWIW they used to sell Japanese LP copies here in australia in the 70's with "Axiom" on the headstock, when I sold mine [goldtop] I had worn through the neck so much you could see the maple board underneath [I was 15 so didnt know any better - but I had assumed it was that brown wood I saw when I bought it - just like on Jimmy Pages guitar... lol]

Who likes this.
  6. jtbasketman

jtbasketman Junior Member

Yeah, looks like a 70's Japanese export that never had the importer's name applied. My take on what happened back then was that it was at this point as the quality of exports was quickly improving, ie set necks and reasonable pickups, that Gibson realised they needed to do something. It would be a definite keeper for me and worth 'doing up'

Who likes this.
  7. fleahead

fleahead Senior Member

LP custom? Just a cheap '70s copy

Blue Blood likes this.
  8. Les Paul Newb

Les Paul Newb Senior Member

Well I posted this in "other single cuts" forum, so I thought it was pretty fuckin' obvious I wasn't calling it s Gibson.

Guess not.

9. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Senior Member

That's a Hondo, no doubt in my mind. TRC is a replacement.

It's an unbranded HLPS-2 BS (Brown Sunburst); set neck, solid wood body (presumably Ash or Alder). Biggest giveaway for Hondos is the rounded fb end like early MIJs, but without their typical multi-ply binding and inlays ending at the 17th fret.

http://samick.wikia.com/wiki/HLP

(replaced knobs and bridge/TP on this one)
    HLP-2BS hando 2.JPG
    HDLPS 2AB set neck 2.JPG
    HDLPS 2AB set neck.JPG

Personally, I'm not sure if I would go for one. While the set neck and solid wood body makes it tempting, these were pretty early Korean guitars. They started making electrics in 1972 for Hondo and this example is ca. 1978. Granted, they had made acoustics since 1965. But I would rather hedge my bets on a bolt-on example because the neck can be shimmed or even replaced if needed.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    Who likes this.