NHD (Cans!)

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by frozenotter, Aug 11, 2018.

1. frozenotter

frozenotter Premium Member Premium Member

I'm not able to setup my studio speakers currently so I needed a nice set of cans to fill the gap. I did some reading up and arrived at these baby's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Audeze LCD-X - Planar. They sound fantastic and are extremely flat, as reference headphones should be.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    Freddy G and jeff_farkas like this.
  2. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

They have some excellent reviews. Let us know how you like them after you've lived with them for a while.

frozenotter and jeff_farkas like this.
  3. mcphaul

mcphaul Senior Member

+1

I need a new set of headphones. I'd love to hear a 1st hand review.

frozenotter likes this.
  4. LPSGME

LPSGME Senior Member

The manufacturer's web page appears to offer a 30 day trial on direct sales, and also a reduced price on the LCD-X model by way of $500 off - if you don't care about not getting its' travel case. However I couldn't find any link for that price reduced deal.

frozenotter likes this.
  5. frozenotter

Well so far they have been fantastic, guys - I've never experience such "non colored" sonic euphoria. The irony to the whole thing is that most music played through them off the internet and such will not sound great or will sound just awful (in most cases). The "problem" is the phones are so detailed and revealing that MP3's, YouTube vids, etc., just simply don't cut it, at all. If you want to fully enjoy these from a "listening enjoyment" perspective you will need a very high bit rate/sample rate OR even better, vinyl. The first run at these I went to YouTube and pulled up an old AC/DC song as a test (on old ..original ..rock ..analog material since converted to digital) and it was quite "small", "harsh", with almost 0 low-end in it AND the phones WOULD NOT MAKE UP FOR IT. This was good news. I then went to specifically 24/96 jazz and they were fantastic ..even though I believe they also reveal that vinyl would still be much better. The fact is, you simply hear all differences.

If you want to reference, I've never heard better - very flat and dry with no "prettying" up the source content. The highs and mids are very smooth and the lows feel like you are at a high-tech NY rave club, minus the beating in the chest. High quality audio content has a way of making you actually feel the "percussiveness" of the transients smack dab on your eardrum like micro puffs of air (which technically it is - but you really FEEL it) - a wonderful thing I must say.

They are an ALL steel and leather, screw based construction with no "snap" component or prefab "wavey" plastic crap. They feel "old-school" and "expensive" with a substantial yet extremely balanced heavy weight that with the plush leather cushions feel like weighted AIR on your ears rather than a physical object. Using them, I personally forget I even have them on, regardless what other reviews may say at times. I should note that I have the latest version that does not have the padded style headband with the "spikey" sorta pads that I think after extended use served a reverse purpose (when they began to drive into your skull).

In short, I LOVE'EM!

:thumb:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    Freddy G likes this.
  6. redking

redking Senior Member

Question about open back headphones.... when tracking vocals, would the open back cause problems with the mic picking up sound escaping from the open back? I was just thinking that hearing a truer picture of your voice as a vocalist would be great for singing and working on your vocal performances.

7. frozenotter

Yes, you would. Not a good vocal recording option.

8. redking

redking Senior Member

sorry to get off topic, but wondering if anyone has used a reasonably priced noise cancelling studio can that is good for vocals and a nice true flat response for the singer to monitor. I find my ~$150 Sennheisers are very bassy so they disguise my true voice while I'm singing.