ngpd: Epiphone Powerbass

Discussion in 'Other Epiphones' started by cgm, Feb 25, 2017.

1. cgm

cgm Senior Member

Does anyone here have an experience with what I assume is an Epiphone Powerbass?

I know nothing about the bass guitar, but hae wanted to pick one up to mess around with on Rocksmith. I found an Epiphone Powerbass at a pawn shop for $20. I need to replace the jack, clean it up and throw some new strings on it. If it works, i might try to strip the paint that appears to have been just spray painted over the stock white finish. If laquer thinner takes it off easily, then it will be time to turn this into a project!

If I need to replace the bridge, pickups or tuners... would squire or fender stuff work?

[​IMG]

Somone spent some time on putting their band name on this. maybe I will keep it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am amazed that the paper sn sticker is still there [​IMG]

The neck seems pretty straight
    [​IMG]

The cavity
    [​IMG]

Anyone ever heard of Idiosyncracy?
    [​IMG]

Alligatorbling likes this.
  2. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

3. cgm

cgm Senior Member

Thanks! I used that wiki this morning to try to figure out what it was! Thanks for looking up the sn for me, i was going to sort that out later.

I had an extra switchcraft jack laying around, so I just wired it in... and it makes noise! the bridge volume pot spins around. I am getting some output from it, but not much. I will need to clean this up and try to adjust the pickup height to see if I can get more signal before I eventually replace the harness. the neck pickup pot works well enough and what I imagine is the tone pot is scratchy but works.

Hopefully this will have enough output for now to play Rocksmith.

4. cgm

cgm Senior Member

Updates! Time to see if i have a decent bass hidden under all of the dirt, rust, paint, etc.

I cleaned her up and replaced the jack... now it was time to address the fretts. I done quite a few repairs to bodies, fixed horrible setups, replaced nuts, swtich all sorts of electronics and pickups... but never messes with fretts. It was very needed...

I think this is a decent before pic
    [​IMG]

I really don't have the tools for a proper fret level, crown and polish. I just wanted this "good enough" so it plays decently and doesn't look filthy.

I didn't use a long board to level them, I just polished each individual fret. When the project is close to complete, I will have my luthier do this if it is worth it.

Started with 800:
    [​IMG]

After hitting with the 800, there was some pretty bad fret wear. I did a decent job smoothing them out. Once I sort out the electronics, I will have my luthier evaluate the frets and do the job right.
    [​IMG]

Then 1500
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finished with steel wool
    [​IMG]

Here she is: clean, polished frets, oiled fret board, new strings, and roughly setup. I just reamed a hole into a pick so I could mount the jack.
    [​IMG]

5. cgm

cgm Senior Member

Today I messed with the electronics. The bridge volume pot just spun in circles. They were all scratchy.

Old Cavity:
    [​IMG]

Out with the old harness:
    [​IMG]

The Harbor Freight reamer worked great, it only took a few seconds to enlarge the holes for the cts pots.

Made a cardboard template and made my first harness following this diagram
    [​IMG]

I re-used all of the wire from the stock harness. It seemed to be 18 gauge, and I didn't have anything much better on hand.
    [​IMG]

And now it is in!
    [​IMG]

Everythings works as it should. I was worried that I might have overheated the tone pot. My solder wasn't flowing with my cheap 35 watt iron, so i switched to a much thinner solder and everything worked great. The tone pot now actually shapes the sound. The bridge volume is still pretty quiet, so i need to raise it. It isn't mounted with springs, so i might have to wedge some foam or something under it to lift it up... anyone have any ideas? If raising the height doesn't fix it, I will need to look into new pups.

6. Bud Stoner

Bud Stoner Senior Member

Great job on the clean up! :thumb: