NGD

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by Guitpicky, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Guitpicky

Guitpicky Senior Member

So today I traded in my beloved hog top LP Standard
    [​IMG]

To get this
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

First and only one I've ever seen, but it was love at first sight. Only made a month and a half ago, so these are pretty new. Not on the Gibby website yet. Supposedly they had another one at Chicago Music Exchange but it sold immediately so I didn't get to see it.

2018 Modern Les Paul Custom w/ highly figured Heartwood top in Viking Red. Not sure exactly what they mean by "Heartwood" as it looks like maple to me. I'll call and ask Gibson about it this week. In any case she's drop dead gorgeous. When my guy got this in I jumped on it without hesitation and I'm glad I did. A really really nice guitar all the way around.

Sorry about the crappy pics, I'll post better ones soon :)

ehb, MP4-22, azzapeel and 32 others like this.
  2. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

Nice!
    :thumb:

It's actually "Heartwood" Maple.

"Color/Appearance: Unlike most other hardwoods, the sapwood of maple lumber is most commonly used rather than its heartwood. Sapwood color ranges from almost white, to a light golden or reddish brown, while the heartwood is a darker reddish brown. Red Maple can also be seen with curly or quilted grain patterns."

"
    While the wood carries many interchangeable names, the woodworker most often cares about the two distinct appearances of the wood.

[​IMG]
    Hard Maple log shows the dark heartwood in the center with a wide band of white sapwood

The heartwood, like most hardwoods, is much darker than the outer sapwood. With hard maple, it’s the clear white sapwood that’s in high demand. Whereas it’s the heartwood of woods like cherry and walnut that are the envy of American woodworkers."

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    ehb, Frogfur, Gtarzan81 and 7 others like this.
  3. Guitpicky

Guitpicky Senior Member

Thanks dude :)

4. dc007

dc007 Senior Member

I like it....Enjoy!!!

5. smk506

smk506 Senior Member

I like your old hog top, but that new custom is super pretty, nice swap!

6. Guitpicky

Guitpicky Senior Member

I loved that Hog top, what a fabulous guitar. I wasn't even looking for anything new, I just happened to come across the Custom while checking up on something else. A mere glance led to a good look, then a good hard look back and forth between the guitar and my funds. We all know what happens from there... "fuck it, I'm doing it" :)

I wondered just how much of an upgrade it would actually be. My Hog top was flawless in fit and finish and played like a dream. This is also flawless and just a little nicer in every conceivable way. The real surprise was tone. My Hog top was a tone monster... warm, dark, rich, and creamy with extra grunt. I really didn't think the new one would be better, but it is. It's like the same but with added cream on top. It's a pretty major upgrade because every aspect is just a little bit better.

My guy already has the Hog top up on Reverb. I would have sold it myself but since I got both guitars from him he gave me a great deal with the trade. If I was made of money I'd have kept both in a heartbeat :)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  7. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

That's really sum'in :wow: ya gots there

Congrats

HeartString, Guitpicky and Rds like this.
  8. Rds

Rds Senior Member

Man what cool couple guitars. I would have had to keep both and be flat busted. Congrats.

9. DarthPaul

DarthPaul Senior Member

It reminds me of the Fire Tiger Custom.
    Beautiful guitar - congrats!

10. Guitpicky

Guitpicky Senior Member

If only, but tbh it works well this way because the new one HAS to be substantially better than the old one to make it worth doing.

I'm also short on space so I need to keep the population in check :)

cherrysunburst00 and Rds like this.
  11. Neffco

Neffco Senior Member

Very cool, different and bad azz.

cherrysunburst00 and Guitpicky like this.
  12. Les Paul John

Les Paul John Senior Member

I think you made out very nicely! What a beautiful guitar, they both are but that Custom is tops.

13. JeffH66

JeffH66 Pelham Blue Addict Premium Member

What a beautiful Custom that is; very very beautiful. HOG tops have grown a bit on me, and yours was beautiful, but I'm a sucker for a maple cap.

I really need to try a Custom again. The block inlay holds me back for some reason and I don't know why. I absolutely LOVE and ebony board.

Hope you enjoy the new Custom immensely.

14. Midnight Blues

Midnight Blues Premium Member

Nice! Congrats, HNGD :jam: and play her in good health!

15. Christosterone

Christosterone Premium Member

God bless America....that thing is bananas awesome

:wow:

Congrats on a badass custom....those witch hat knobs were/are so great

-Chris

16. Guitpicky

Guitpicky Senior Member

Thanks for all your generous replies :)

I'm still trying to find out a little more about these. I called Gibson and they're going to email me some more info. I've seen pics of one other in Bengal Burst which also looks great. I didn't get to choose between them, but if I had I still would have picked the red one. I just think it looks classy and goes well with everything else on the guitar. It's not easy to pull off cream and black on the same guitar but on this guitar it looks great.

They did a nice job on this model. It has a very vintage(y) handcrafted look/feel with all the modern features I'm looking for and none of the gimmicky ones I don't want. Workmanship, fit and finish are all superb and setup was right on.

My only real knock and it's not a big one, is the case. The Lifton case feels a bit weak compared to the "standard" case that came with my Hog top. I got the better Lifton too... I've seen pics of both and it's not the super flimsy newer model. Like I said, not much of an issue because it only travels between rooms in my house :)

What do you guys think of the Custom Buckers vs the BB Pros?

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  17. Guitpicky

Guitpicky Senior Member

Heh, I actually know what you mean about the inlays. They look a bit off at first, but then when I think back to the first time I saw the trapezoid ones I thought the same thing. The plus side is they're real not acrylic and inlaid into ebony not Richlite. I'm sure Richlite makes a nice smooth durable fretting surface, but I'm glad it came with ebony :)

18. JohnnyPhatsaqs

JohnnyPhatsaqs Senior Member

I’d congratulate you, but I’m too busy seething in jealousy.

Maybe later.

Christosterone and Guitpicky like this.
  19. Guitpicky

Guitpicky Senior Member

I wouldn't be too jealous if I were you. You probably actually know how to play guitar, I'm just a really bad student :)

JohnnyPhatsaqs likes this.
  20. JohnnyPhatsaqs

JohnnyPhatsaqs Senior Member

I’ve been a bad student for 30+ years

Christosterone likes this.