NGD: Yamaha Acoustic FG830

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by 1all's Pub, Sep 2, 2017.

1. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

I turned 50 on 8/30 (ugh! ;)) so I bought myself a new 2017 LP Classic a couple weeks ago during GC's huge Gibson Sale (where they were offering the Classic at $1650, plus 20% cash back in the form of GC Bucks to be sent to me at the end of September... gonna buy myself a 2x12 or 4x12 cab with the $330 GC Bucks, but I digress).

Well, lo and behold the fetching Mrs 1all had a guitar in mind for me as well, and early in the morning on my birthday she presented me with this gorgeous Yamaha acoustic. Now, it's not a Martin or a Taylor, nor does it come with the price tag of those, but it is DAYUM nice. Like crazy nice for a $300 guitar.

It has a gorgeous and lovely feeling satin neck (haven't measured it yet, but it feels a lot like the equivalent of a Gibson 50s neck like you'd find on a new LP Trad... so I'm guessing around 0.820" at the first fret and about 0.950" at the 12th). Double bound body, bound neck, bound headstock. And it is so loud and clear, with a "harp-like" tone. Just amazing. I'm not really that much of an acoustic player (I have one, an Ibanez, that I inherited from my dad after he passed 3 years ago, but I don't play it much and it doesn't look or sound anywhere near as nice as this Yamaha).

My wife knows I'm not a big acoustic guy, but she wanted me to have a good one (and one I could use around a campfire without worrying about my dad's acoustic, since it's really more of a family heirloom at this point). And she said if I didn't want it I could return it and get something else, but dang... after playing it (and looking at it) I just had to keep it. It's just fantastic! :)

And, ironically (though it wasn't intentional on my wife's part) the model number, "FG830" contains my birth month and day. :D It was meant to be mine! LOL!!! Anyway, here she is, and in keeping with my penchant for naming my guitars after famous actresses/models/sex symbols, I've dubbed this one "Maud" after Maud Adams, Swedish beauty and probably most famous for playing two different "Bond Girls"... Andrea Anders in 1974's "The Man with the Golden Gun" and the eponymous title character of 1983's "Octopussy" :D (she also had an uncredited appearance in 1985's "A View to a Kill").

Anyway, without further ado... may I introduce, Maud. :D
    [​IMG]

Double bound body and bound neck.
    [​IMG]

Bound headstock.
    [​IMG]

My birthday embedded in the model number. :D
    [​IMG]

2. Donal

Donal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Premium Member

Nice :thumb:

Nothing like a good acoustic.

Congrats and HNGD :applause:

1all's Pub likes this.
  3. artis_xe

artis_xe Christopher Premium Member

Happy Birthday , and NGD

everyone needs at least one good acoustic . better yet __ sounds like you have a good wife

enjoy it . you will quickly become a fan , of playing unplugged