[NGD] Wildkat. Bridge pickup doesn't work

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by Azathoth, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Azathoth

Azathoth Senior Member

Wildkats have no back panel, so you can't get to the pots to check their wiring.

Has anyone done any work on a Wildkat?

[edit] There's a tiny bit of volume coming out of the bridge pickup that's barely audible. When the guitar arrived, the tone pot was loose, which makes me think it's probably a pot or wiring issue.

[edit 2] Got it to work. It's the tone pot. I stick a finger in the f hole and tweak the wires, using the skills I learned from fiddling with my anose while texting my 39-year-old lady.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAUJyWnevkM[/ame]
    [NSFW language]

2. drpietrzak

drpietrzak Senior Member

Like a 335 you use the pickup holes and F holes to work on them. Party it is!

1 person likes this.
  3. Azathoth

Azathoth Senior Member

4. fullspectrum

fullspectrum Senior Member

HNGD...where did you get it? I'm guessing you didn't get it brand new or you'd be sending it back for another one because of the wiring issue...

1 person likes this.
  5. Azathoth

Azathoth Senior Member

I got it on ebay. It is brand new and still has the plastic sticker covers on the pickups. There's a 30 day return policy, but I've decided to keep it and try to fix it myself. It's pretty gol' dang sexy.

6. fullspectrum

fullspectrum Senior Member

The problem is...no access covers. Soldering is easy...but through those cutouts??? I know...pain in the ass sending it back. Been there done that.

7. SessionGuy

SessionGuy Junior Member

Hi, this is nothing to do with your problem, but I'm trying to spread the word on a fix for the Wildkat's dire tone problems, after fixing my own recently. You can read about it here: http://www.award-session.com/pdfs/Epiphone_WildKat_Tone_Problem.pdf

You may find that this wiring upgrade will benefit many LPs too, although not to the same degree as the Wildkat as it has so much coax cable.

Good luck.