[NGD] What Model Les Paul Did I Buy?

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by Axiomatik, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Donal

Donal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Premium Member

2. Axiomatik

Axiomatik Junior Member

Lloyd_m, Bemis and cherrysunburst00 like this.
  3. Gem23

Gem23 Member

Sweet!
    That's a gorgeous looking finish. My first thought was you could get a LP studio for half your original outlay tho.. but if you are after the looker, you have found something very similar to your original purchase but the real thing. Is it within a distance you can try it out before buying? That would be ideal.

4. Gem23

Gem23 Member

Thank God for that. Cheers.

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  5. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

...of course I did buy them used ;)

6. cherrysunburst00

Frets have nibs (the binding covers the frets), bridge posts look good.

Locking Grovers? NICE.

Gem23 and Bemis like this.
  7. Bigfoot410

Bigfoot410 Premium Member

Amazing how many pawn shops don't have a clue or purposely rip people off. At least most of the stuff they sell is junk anyhow. Very few "gems" out there anymore.

I'm thinking this particular pawn shop owner knew it was fake. Who would sell a real Gibson Les Paul like this for that cheap? 2 minutes of research would show that it was worth a lot more if real. Stay away from that place!!

8. Gem23

Gem23 Member

I'm not convinced the shop knew, seeing as he paid $1000, and the one he's looking at now is $1600 that's not a massive difference (for a pawn shop) but I could be way wrong. If I am, then the shop being interested in what makes it a fake, becomes even more devious, as it looks like they gleaning info on how to make their future fakers more knowledgable.

9. cherrysunburst00

I think 1 thing that will be telling is whether or not the shop puts it back up for sale

Bemis, Who and Gem23 like this.
  10. Gem23

Gem23 Member

I read something very interesting about the nibs recently, as I have a sheraton with nibs.
    It was a guy who had a particular playing style which made it impossible to own a guitar with one, as he wore the nib away, and his top string would get stuck in the gap between fret end and nib, he was convinced it was a corner cutting activity on behalf of Gibson.. in order to not finish the fret ends properly. Whereas I saw it as a luxurious finish..
    Since then I have found out that Gibson did stop the nibs as a cost cutting exercise, and then brought them back after a couple of years, after much complainin from customers..

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  11. cherrysunburst00

That's really interesting. Like You, I have always thought of them as more of a luxury finish type thing. They do present a problem when it comes to refrets, but it can be done

Bemis and Gem23 like this.
  12. Axiomatik

Axiomatik Junior Member

My read on the situation is that the pawn shop manager suspected it was fake because he was able to buy it for cheap, but didn't know how to prove it.

13. Gem23

Gem23 Member

Yes, it is a mission to re-fret,and repeat the nibs, and sometimes people get rid of them during that process, in favour of frets over binding. I guess if it gets in the way of playing, that would pose a problem.
    As an interesting side read I've posted this link to the forum regarding the nibs issue. . Sorry if it hijacks or in any way is a breach of rules (please remove if so)
    http://www.everythingsg.com/threads...acturing-technique-for-2016-model-year.28560/

14. Gem23

Gem23 Member

Yes, I guess he would have paid out a fraction of the $$$'s to whoever brought it in. I'm glad it got resolved, and you got your money back. All the best with your future purchase. I'm keen to find out what you get.

15. cherrysunburst00

This is so naive, but I sure wish it could be like "Pawn Stars" in the "real world" in which authenticity could be established with experts.
    :lol:

By the way, I never welcomed you Axiomatik, so :welcome:

x2.

You Gem, I like you. I'm not sure whether or not I ever welcomed you, but in case not, :welcome:

Bemis, Axiomatik and Gem23 like this.
  16. Who

Who are you? Who who who who.... Premium Member

The one on Reverb is real. And good looking.

Bemis, Gem23 and cherrysunburst00 like this.
  17. Gem23

Gem23 Member

You Gem, I like you. I'm not sure whether or not I ever welcomed you, but in case not, :welcome:[/QUOTE]

Thank you, I feel welcomed. :cheers2:

DarrellV and Bemis like this.
  18. Gem23

Gem23 Member

I'm seeing it as £1235.00 now pre shipping (reverb converted it to UK price) it's been reduced once. Im also seeing it has an offer on it, have you made am offer? I'm sure someone more local than me will tell you if is a reasonable price with shipping at some point soon. Good luck.

19. Axiomatik

Axiomatik Junior Member

I didn't make the guy a formal offer, but I did message him. Turns our he's located about 2.5 hours away, so I asked if there was a discount if I picked up. He said:

"The only discount would be the $40 shipping charge. This thing is already priced at least $100 cheaper than any other 2016 Standard T on reverb. I wouldn't be selling it that cheap (or at all) if I didn't really need the money."

It seems like he's pretty firm on the 1575 price. The majority of 2016 Les Paul standards are fetching around 2k on Reverb. If it's a great deal I can jump on it, but I almost would prefer to purchase off this forum and support the community. However I don't see anything [currently] that strikes my fancy (LP with a contemporary finish like blue, trans black...).

Gem23 and cherrysunburst00 like this.
  20. DarrellV

DarrellV Almost 1 Year old this month! Premium Member

I just realized mine is prolly like that too! Boy, color me red!

Here's a back shot of another 1982, (not mine).

[​IMG]

Gem23 and cherrysunburst00 like this.