NGD. The 2nd first Les Paul

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by Bartman, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Bartman

Bartman Junior Member

5EDD4605-54A2-4222-A0E1-6A5D7978EE67.jpeg A7448EE1-41B6-4865-9476-30BFABE3ECEE.jpeg 688D560F-5AF7-437C-A38D-A1096BA148EC.jpeg H 68B78A0E-ACCB-4D82-8C59-0BA5E5D1022B.jpeg Ok. Let’s try this again after sending the 2018 back with the separating fret board. Looked at this the last couple of days and it followed me home. 2014 LP Traditional 120 th anniversary. Yeah I know I have read all the don’t likes about the inlay. But I think it looks nice. The thick late 50’s neck feels like I have a real solid monster. I can tell you this. This guitar has something going on the others I played have not. I think it is the thick neck for one and the other is the 59 tribute pickups. I set the relief on the neck. Finally got it down to about 10 thousandths. It is so big it is hard to get to move. Set the rest up like Don Earlwine’s setup. I can’t believe the difference from this one to the 2018 I sent back. I feel like I bought a custom LP . I liked the 2018 but this thing is freakin awesome. I don’t think it had ever been played. Not a scratch on it. I hope this baby stays good

efstop, Detector, jc2000 and 23 others like this.
  2. Donal

Donal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Premium Member

WOW, Love that :thumb:

Congrats (again) and HNGD :applause:

I actually like it ;)

3. Pappy58

Pappy58 Senior Member

Beautiful git,,and it fits! Congrats! :beer:

4. I Break Things

I Break Things Senior Member

Beautiful guitar. I'm glad you found one that speaks to you. :dude:

5. endial

endial Senior Member

Brother, I think you won this round in a big way. And beefy necks are where it's at as far as I'm concerned.

Edit: I like the Anniversary banner/badge too. Have one on my Melody Maker.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  6. apfelbaum

apfelbaum Senior Member

Congrats!! That is really a beautiful guitar. Enjoy the heck out of it.

7. Radbloke McShreddington

Radbloke McShreddington Junior Member

I think I like this one better than your original! Really nice top and dark fretboard. Good score. Hopefully you have enough scratch left over from the original purchase for a slab of beer too!

8. four eyes

four eyes Member

Happy NGD! Sexy flame on that girl :naughty:...

9. musicmaniac

musicmaniac Senior Member

Excellent congrats!

10. rjwilson37

rjwilson37 Senior Member

Congrats on getting that fine looking guitar. How much did it set you back, did you get a good deal? I like the 120th Anniversary Inlay as well. I had a couple of 2014's, but when my 2017 Standard T and 2017 Studio HP came, I was in heaven and just didn't need to keep all my other Les Paul's.

I am so glad you feel really good about the 2014 Les Paul Traditional, definitely a good choice for you.

11. Nard

Nard Senior Member

Damn that’s nice. HNGD.

12. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

Nice! Congrats and HNGD (again ;)).

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again... 59 Tributes are the best Gibson PAF style pickup of the modern era. They are truly fantastic.

13. scozz

scozz Senior Member

That's a beauty!!

14. Bartman

Bartman Junior Member

I paid pretty much retail. $1950 would have been a fair deal if I could have got to my bank and got cash, but time I paid tax, not so much good deal. but I don't think it had ever been played so it was as new. But I did not know how good it sounded until I got it home. And then researched it. I think the thick neck and tribute pups are why it sounds so good. I just needed to get this guitar fiasco over and start taking lessons this week. This new guitar was a deal I made with the wife. Agreed that if I spent this much on a guitar and amp that I was going to take lessons to advance past where I am in my playing ability. I felt really good when I ran across a video of chappers on youtube state that 2014 was the best sounding Les Paul's they had played. I love the feel of the thick neck. I don't know if the neck is good or bad for my average hand, but the feel and sound will make me push through.

15. tazzboy

tazzboy V.I.P. Member

Very nice looking LP

16. endial

endial Senior Member

Hand size has little or nothing to do with it as far as I know. My hands are nowhere near huge, but they're not small either. I was weaned on the neck of a '56 Junior (pretty huge) and I can play anything on any sized neck, likely due to that fact. I think it's all a matter of where you drop your thumb, and if you're taking lessons your instructor should be showing you these better habits. Ultimately, it all lies in the colorized words you said above.

Really jazzed you got this guitar for yourself. Enjoy!

Hope likes this.
  17. RustyNuts

RustyNuts Premium Member

Nice! I'm another that rather likes the inlay.

18. rjwilson37

rjwilson37 Senior Member

No matter what the price, it is better to have a guitar you feel great about, it definitely helps with your practice and playing for sure. I have been through quite a few guitars over the years and don't mind selling an older guitar if I find something that I really like and it inspires me to play more. Inspiration is a wonderful thing. I like watching Chappers and the Captain as well, they know there stuff. I myself like the Slim Taper necks, I just never got along with a thicker neck which it really took me some time to figure this out. Although my Slim Taper 2017 Studio HP has that slightly wider neck for better playability in the lower frets and I don't mind it at all, probably because the neck is still not thick on the back side like the 59's/Traditional's and such.

Anyway, I am very glad you have found the one and like playing it. May you enjoy it for a long time to come.

19. Bartman

Bartman Junior Member

Me too. It is so small you hardly see it. I could not believe when I was researching it, the comments and the high numbers that didn’t like it. To me it only adds just that little bit that the others don’t have

rjwilson37, lakeburst and endial like this.
  20. Christosterone

Christosterone Premium Member

Such a great top...and perfect finish...

So far, so good on your exquisite taste in Lester’s

Welcome [again] to the cult

-Chris