NGD - Sterling by Music Man - St Vincent Signature

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by jaycoyoyo, Dec 30, 2017.

1. jaycoyoyo

jaycoyoyo Senior Member

I have been jonesing for a Firebird for years, but ever since this model came out it has always caught my eye because of the mini humbucker pickups. It helps that I am a big fan of St. Vincent. I had some Xmas fundage come my way, and the price was right! Sterling is the import version of the USA-made Music Man line. Plays great out of the box but will need some attention to tame the fret buzz that's over most of the neck.

The best review I've seen is from Premier Guitar, which I'll link below. It's crazy how Stratty it sounds with all 3 pickups on. The 5th position is neck + bridge, and that is somewhere between a Les Paul and a Tele. The other 3 positions for the individual pickups sound about as expected for mini-humbuckers.

I'm not much of a whammy bar guy but am considering a tuner upgrade perhaps to match the locking tunes that come with the USA model.

The body shape is really cool, because with the triangular sections it will reflect light differently based on how it's facing. There is a belly cut on the back side as well.

It came with a gig bag that has super thick padding and a useful side pocket.

Super excited!

--Jay

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Premier guitar review:

2. Tanner

Tanner Senior Member

Congrats!! I got one of those myself about a month ago and it's been the only guitar I bring to gigs and record with. It's incredibly versatile and extremely comfortable to play. It's a very transparent feeling instrument once you get used to it. After playing the St Vincent for almost a month and a half nonstop most of my other guitars feel awkward to play or lacking in some way. I did end up swapping the tremolo arm for a Jazzmaster trem arm, though. Even though the jazzy trem arm is a screw-in instead of pop-in it fits right in there.

HNGD!! You're gonna enjoy it for a long time.

3. jaycoyoyo

jaycoyoyo Senior Member

I played it this morning at church and got lots of compliments. I took it to the local shop to get the neck adjusted and intonated on my preferred gauge (NYXL 09-42). The shop has a stunning black-on-black St Vincent on the wall, but that's way out of my price range. I really honestly love every pickup selector position, and I seem to gravitate to the all-on position. Super guitar!

--Jay

4. Satellitedog

Satellitedog Senior Member

Congrats, Jay! I've been pining for one of the originals, but I'll have to go with this version if any, in the foreseeable future.

How's the fit and finish, and how's the weight? Also, what's the neck like?

Cheers

5. wildhawk1

wildhawk1 Senior Member

Phil likes his.

jaycoyoyo likes this.
  6. jaycoyoyo

jaycoyoyo Senior Member

I really like the satin finish on the neck. It is just a tiny tiny bit thicker than my other 25.5-scale Fender Tele and Strat necks. My Strat has a satin finish on the neck, so it is very similar. The finish feels like thick poly everywhere else on the guitar. My complaint with the fit is the screws on the pickguard are a little crooked. I'm no perfectionist, so I don't plan on doing anything about it. It weighs 7.8 pounds on my bathroom scale.

After the guitar got acclimated, it developed really bad fret buzz on the first 7 frets or so. I had that adjusted and also raised the bridge pickup to give it a bit more level.

Here's a pic with the custom Souldier strap. I have Souldier's on all my guitars.

--Jay

[​IMG]

Satellitedog and artis_xe like this.
  7. artis_xe

artis_xe Christopher

there are a couple of other threads on this also . here's mine

IMG_20171020_130809845 (1).jpg

when I saw the MusicMan version come out , I was dying to check it out . mainly , I was curious ( also being a big St. Vincent fan )

but I went to GC with no expectations , not wanting to be a fanboi . I liked the sound and feel of it . was very taken back by it __ and put it on my " to purchase " list

it was my wife that found out there was a Sterling model . I guess she did her research , and bought it for me as a gift . the picture above is taken with my phone , just the way I found it one day . picture is a bit blurry , because I think my hands were shaking :laugh2:

the guitar takes really well to a variety of effects , and is extremely comfortable to wear . this has been my go to electric for the last few months . I hope you enjoy yours as much as I'm enjoying mine

Congrats :thumb:

Satellitedog and jaycoyoyo like this.
  8. jaycoyoyo

jaycoyoyo Senior Member

It's been a while since I bought a guitar that genuinely inspires me to play. I've bought other electrics over the past few years that I felt like I "should" own, like I should own a Strat or a Junior almost out of obligation. But this one really hooked me in and makes me want to play!

--Jay

9. Satellitedog

Satellitedog Senior Member

Thanks, Jay!

I'll have to try the MM version first, I think, at least weight wise (wonder how they balance the rosewood neck).
    I'm a fan of light guitars, and while 7.8 lbs are not bad at all, I'd prefer it in the high 6s, low 7s...

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  10. kysrsoze

kysrsoze Senior Member

That thing looks kickass. Sounds much more interesting than I originally thought.

11. LSAR

LSAR Premium Member

I have a tendency not to get along with guitars that have a middle pickup, but every time I see these I want one. I need to spend some time with one in the not too distant future...