NGD - Sterling by Music Man - St Vincent Signature

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by jaycoyoyo, Dec 30, 2017.

1. jaycoyoyo

jaycoyoyo Senior Member

I have been jonesing for a Firebird for years, but ever since this model came out it has always caught my eye because of the mini humbucker pickups. It helps that I am a big fan of St. Vincent. I had some Xmas fundage come my way, and the price was right! Sterling is the import version of the USA-made Music Man line. Plays great out of the box but will need some attention to tame the fret buzz that's over most of the neck.

The best review I've seen is from Premier Guitar, which I'll link below. It's crazy how Stratty it sounds with all 3 pickups on. The 5th position is neck + bridge, and that is somewhere between a Les Paul and a Tele. The other 3 positions for the individual pickups sound about as expected for mini-humbuckers.

I'm not much of a whammy bar guy but am considering a tuner upgrade perhaps to match the locking tunes that come with the USA model.

The body shape is really cool, because with the triangular sections it will reflect light differently based on how it's facing. There is a belly cut on the back side as well.

It came with a gig bag that has super thick padding and a useful side pocket.

Super excited!

--Jay

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Premier guitar review:

2. Tanner

Tanner Senior Member

Congrats!! I got one of those myself about a month ago and it's been the only guitar I bring to gigs and record with. It's incredibly versatile and extremely comfortable to play. It's a very transparent feeling instrument once you get used to it. After playing the St Vincent for almost a month and a half nonstop most of my other guitars feel awkward to play or lacking in some way. I did end up swapping the tremolo arm for a Jazzmaster trem arm, though. Even though the jazzy trem arm is a screw-in instead of pop-in it fits right in there.

HNGD!! You're gonna enjoy it for a long time.

3. jaycoyoyo

jaycoyoyo Senior Member

I played it this morning at church and got lots of compliments. I took it to the local shop to get the neck adjusted and intonated on my preferred gauge (NYXL 09-42). The shop has a stunning black-on-black St Vincent on the wall, but that's way out of my price range. I really honestly love every pickup selector position, and I seem to gravitate to the all-on position. Super guitar!

--Jay