NGD - St Vincent

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Tanner, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Tanner

Tanner Senior Member

I've been a pretty big fan of Annie Clark for a long time and was super excited when she collaborated with Music Man to create her signature model. I wanted one so damn bad, but definitely way out of my budget. Didn't even know that Sterling made one until I walked into guitar center with the intentions of buying a Duo Sonic.

One thing I don't see talked about much with this is how great the switching system is, in positions 1-3 its just the regular neck, middle, or bridge. But in position 4 you get all 3 pickups at once in parralel, and in position 5 you get neck and bridge in parallel. Really versatile.

Despite the odd shape, it's very comfortable to play. Reminds me of an Explorer with the too pointy unwieldy bits cut off.

So yeah overall pretty great purchase imo, probably gonna end up being my main gigging guitar now.

Attached Files:

• stv.jpg
      stv.jpg
      File size:
      45.7 KB
      Views:
    Who, mdubya, THDNUT and 11 others like this.
  2. Fuggle

Fuggle Member

HNGD! I wasn't too crazy about that body shape the first time I saw it, but I gotta admit it's growing on me! Looks like a killer versatile guitar.

truckermde likes this.
  3. Donal

Donal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Premium Member

Wierd form and still appealing :thumb:

Congrats and HNGD :applause:

truckermde likes this.
  4. artis_xe

artis_xe Christopher Premium Member

I got the blue one too :thumb:

IMG_20171020_130809845.jpg

it's a very fun player . and the same thing happened with me . I wanted one for the last year or so __ and had no idea that Sterling made the same model

not a good guitar to sit with , but I rarely practice or play sitting down . and the pickups are pretty decent . but just that .
    have no idea what I'm going to replace them with , but I do know that I haven't picked up and of my other solid bodies in the last 2 months . it gives me the freedom somehow to just feel experimental

and I've learned a few St Vincent songs since I picked it up . so there's that :thumb:

Congrats . you're going to have alot of fun with this guitar

5. Crotch

Crotch Delete My Account Entirely Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

Its shaped like that to me more comfortable on the boobs i think.

6. DarrellV

DarrellV Likes > Posts Silver Supporter Premium Member

That topic in the Backstage got you started, dinit?! :squint:

Got boobs on the brain now.....:laugh2:

7. moreles

moreles Senior Member

Not familiar with those pickups, but they may be Firebird size, in which case you'll have lots of options should you want to swap pickups. I think that's a great guitar design, and EE/MM is generally excellent quality at all price points. I haven't encountered on in a shop yet, but look forward to trying them -- though I may be too pathetically self-conscious to go for an unusual shape, though that one is, I think, excellent. (I would have made it 10% smaller, but what the heck.) I do not as yet have boob-displacement problems.

artis_xe likes this.
  8. endial

endial Senior Member

-From the mouth of a guy who calls himself "Crotch", no less. :rolleyes:

Glad someone took a chance on a Sterling model of one of these. Updates welcome. Very curious.

9. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

Congratulations Tanner !
    Happy for you that you like it and you will make it your main guitar !
    However, very odd shape to me to be honest :rolleyes:

Tanner likes this.
  10. Tomsmenace

Tomsmenace Senior Member

I love these. A Firebird meets the Jetsons. The mini hums should be replaceable with Dimarzio's since the are in the EBMM version. I really want one and knowing the sterling model is a quality piece is nice. The boobs thing was a little bit of cattiness on Annie Clark's part as she addresses it in an official video. Still, it is supposed to be gender inclusive but it's also cool as hell sporting that Firebird 3 pickup vibe. I feel like Billy Gibbons would have gone for this in the Eliminator days.

I am not a huge St. Vincent fan but occasionally I'll run across something I dig. I do feel like Annie Clark has a quite a bit more originality than most these days and that's refreshing.

artis_xe likes this.
  11. THDNUT

THDNUT Senior Member

It's very angular.

If it was a gas it would be inert.
    [​IMG]

12. THDNUT

THDNUT Senior Member

Speaking of Annie Clark, this skit always cracked me up:

Rocco Crocco and Tanner like this.
  13. jaycoyoyo

jaycoyoyo Senior Member

Oh man I want one of those so bad! I have tickets to see her in January. Super pumped!

--Jay

14. charlie chitlins

charlie chitlins Senior Member

Lotta guys out there with man boobs.
    Might just be the ticket.

15. Tanner

Tanner Senior Member

Had a chance to use it live for the first time a few days ago, and it was a really great experience. Something I didn't notice until I used it live, it's so comfortable that I don't even really notice the guitar when I'm playing or at least I'm not as conscious as trying to work around it and fiddle with stuff. The switching took a while to get used to after using my strat for so long, but it opens up a lot of tonal possibilities. Hopefully I can get some video soon

also I shaved my head

[​IMG]

artis_xe likes this.
  16. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Cool guitar. I would love to try one. It reminds me of a cross between a non-reverse Firebird and a bowtie. Your cat probably loves it. :p

[​IMG]

17. Tanner

Tanner Senior Member

It also vaguely reminds me a lot of Glenn Tipton's Painkiller guitar, which I've always loved

[​IMG]

18. artis_xe

artis_xe Christopher Premium Member

it is a strangely transparent feeling

I was showing this guitar to a friend of mine , who is a collector . he pointed out something , that I didn't really think about , when I bought the guitar . from a collector's point of view __ this is the first model designed by a woman . and the St. Vincent Blue color , is one that Annie was involved in the mixing of