NGD, Squier VM Jaguar

Discussion in 'Fender' started by VerbalPuke, Jun 2, 2017.

1. VerbalPuke

VerbalPuke Senior Member

I've been itching for a Jaguar for awhile now. I had been seriously thinking about the surf green Jag made by Squier, just such a cool looking guitar. I went into Guitar Center on a whim last week and there was one sitting used.

After sleeping on it, I went back and bought it. I loved the tone and the feel. I actually played a Fender Classic player Jag running at 1000+ and to be honest didn't think it was any better in playability or sound compared to the Squier. Easy decision there.

Other than some marks on the pick guard, it is in great shape. Only issue is that it desperately needs a set up as the A string is buzzing horrificly (which for some reason didn't start until last night). I'm not terribly concerned as most people say that this can be fixed with heavier gauge strings and a good set up, no need for the suggested mods seen everywhere. Thats fine by me, I'd rather not have to mod the bridge or add a buzzstop, etc etc. I like it as is and most of the long time players seem to think the stock hardware is good and the right strings will make it a real player.

I may have also bought an amp based on my fiddling but I'll save that for the amp thread ;).

James R and Benjammin like this.
  2. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

sweet, they are nice guitars

3. James R

James R Premium Member

4. VerbalPuke

VerbalPuke Senior Member

Good point! I'll get some up in the next few days.

Any of you guys have experience setting these up? Every thing I read seems to be contradicted. Mustang bridge works! No it wont. Buzzstop works! Some don't like it.

Best consensus I've got is a good set up with a heavier gauge? I don't mind going with a mustang bridge or a buzzstop if they work well, but I'd rather not waste money on a fix that is iffy.

5. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

I'd get a pro setup, with whichever gauge strings you like, and take it from there. There may not be any mods necessary. I bought a short scale guitar last summer, expecting to use heavier gauge strings to augment the loose tension, but turns out there was no need, it works just as fine with 9s as it does with 10s or 11s

VerbalPuke likes this.
  6. Bud Stoner

Bud Stoner Senior Member

I've been wanting one of these for a while, and I've done much research on the set up issues some people experience.

As far as the bridge goes, you have a 9.5" radius, so a great alternative would be the Stay Trem. Unlike the Mustang bridge it's based on, you get a 52mm string spread, vs the 55mm spread on the Mustang bridge. The E strings are then pulled in away from the edge of the fingerboard.

Also, a Mustang bridge is solely a 7.25" radius which would not work as well with your guitar.

The Stay Trem also comes in two radii, 7.25 and 9.5".

http://staytrem.com/epages/95000236...h=/Shops/950002362/Categories/Page__Category1

It looks, walks, talks, and smells like a Mustang bridge, but the Stay Trem is so much better suited for your Jag. And the deep string grooves that allow you to play more briskly keeps the strings from popping out the saddles.

The other big name is Mastery, and his stuff is top notch, but pricey:

https://masterybridge.com

You can get a buzz stop for under $30.00 on Amazon if you want to keep the stock bridge, but speaking for myself as someone who's soooooo close to getting one, I would get the Stay Trem and just wrap a little tape around the bridge posts to keep it from moving and throwing off the tuning.

I played one at GC Hollywood and it was a great guitar, but I knew I'd be spending a few hours polishing them frets........which is fine, I find it relaxing and a great way to get acquainted with the new guitar!