NGD - Squier Affinity Jazzmaster

Discussion in 'Fender' started by Benjammin, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I went to the store looking for a cheap guitar to mod for fun, specifically a Bullet Strat or Mustang. Then I saw this one, started playing around with it and was very impressed. It was nicer than the Affinity Strats I played (3 of them) and the Bullet Mustang. Between the 12" radius, the flat relief and the low action, it plays very smooth. I restrung it with 10s through the top-load bridge (it also loads through the body)

The Mustang was "nice for the money", and I do enjoy the short scale feel, but this Jazzmaster sounded great, where all the rest were OK. I went home to think about it, and couldn't stop thinking about the Jazzmaster. So I ended up going back to buy it before someone else did. You never know with these guitars, the next one I find might not be so good.

The bridge pickup is very hot and crunchy, even has some twang to it, so you don't forget it's a Fender (Squier). The neck pickup is powerful too, but muddy. It might be good for someone else, but I'll likely swap it for something that's more clear and smooth (like a Fender Wide Range) I think the bridge pickup is a keeper (for now at least). The tuners aren't great and I don't like string trees, so the first thing I do will probably be to drop in some staggered locking tuners (which I already have). I'll probably end up swapping the pickguard too if I can find someone who makes them for this model (maybe brown tortoise shell or black pearloid)

All in all, it's actually a very solid platform, I'm pleasantly surprised. The string ferrules came off with the old strings, I still have them, but I was figuring to use the strings top-load style anyways. Those and the tuners are the cheap spots, everything else including the frets seems to be well put together

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    Slick and northernguitarguy like this.
  2. Slick

Slick Senior Member

Nice one Ben, looks like my Jagmaster. Enjoy :jam:

Benjammin likes this.
  3. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

They are sweet guitars, I almost wish I had bought one of those years ago, but I'm quite pleased with this one :D

Slick likes this.
  4. Slick

Slick Senior Member

I like the string through hardtail on yours, other than that it looks just like mine. My Jagmaster has a two point Strat trem, I bought it new in 2003 and it still gets play time :thumb:

5. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

is your 25.5" scale, or 24"? I prefer the hard tail too, I think a short scale neck would be the one thing I would like. Compared to a Strat, the lower frets on the neck are noticably further away, which takes some getting used it

6. Slick

Slick Senior Member

Mines 25.5" scale. I remember they reissued it in around 2005 with 24 scale but the reviews weren't great.

The neck position reminds me of a 335 or SG and as they are my main players all is good :D You'll get used to it soon enough