NGD SG 70's Tribute

Discussion in 'Other Gibsons' started by MichaelAndrew3435, Oct 31, 2017.

1. MichaelAndrew3435

MichaelAndrew3435 Premium Member

So I've always felt meh about SG's. I love the way they look but they just don't feel comfortable to me. I had a 2011 Standard awhile back that I liked, but sold it for an LP and never found another SG that felt the same. I had a 2013 Standard and a 2003 Standard but sold them shortly after.

Anyways, I've been searching for a lower end Gibson to play around with without the fear of accidentally dropping one of my CS Les Paul models, and I saw this in the MLP Classifieds and got it in a partial trade. I figured I'd take a chance and I'm actually very impressed with this guy. I definitely like it better than the last couple SG's I had, and it's much more comfortable to play. I don't have the same issues with neck dive compared to the 2013 + 2003 Standard. I'm not sure why, but it's great! I had moderate expectations before it arrived, but they have been exceeded since.

70's tribute 1.JPG

70's Tribute 2.JPG 70's Tribute 3.JPG 70's Tribute 4.JPG

xland, Pop1655, endial and 2 others like this.
  2. Naquat

Naquat Member

I like it ! What year and what's the neck like? Chunky or Slim Taper. It looks a bit like the SG "Future".

3. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Senior Member

Very nice. Grover'd and everything. I like it.

Congrats!

4. studio1087

studio1087 Senior Member

Nice! Does the neck get fatter toward the body? I love those necks.

I think SG's and Strats are the most comfortable guitars on Earth.

Congrats!

5. MichaelAndrew3435

MichaelAndrew3435 Premium Member

That’s a good question. It’s a 2013 and I’m not sure about the neck. I was wondering what profile it was myself. :hmm:

6. Donal

Donal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Premium Member

Really nice :thumb:

My SG very quickly became one of my fav. guitars

Congrats and HNGD :applause:

7. Naquat

Naquat Member

I checked the Gibson site. It says the 70's Tribute has a Medium 70's neck .810 at the 1st fret and .930 at the 12th fret. The pickups don't match yours but the knobs do.

For those interested, and according to Gibson, the 2013 60s Tribute and Future Tribute both have .800 + .875 which is pretty close AFAI can tell to my American Special Tele neck but a bit deeper going up the neck. The 60's has a Slim taper neck and the Future an asymmetrical taper to the neck. There are other differences in the guitars as well.

I like a thin depth neck so I'll be on the lookout for a 60's or Future.
    They seem to be holding their value since they started at $899.
    I have 2 spare Gibson T-Tops (one early and one late 70's), a Callaham ABR-1 Bridge, Gotoh tailpiece, pots, some late 60's or early 70's vintage Gibson knobs so I'm wondering if I should get a husk from feebay or Reverb. Could be interesting.

Anyway -- I really do like your SG MichaelAndrew34. Looks great, nice finish, and I'm hoping you just didn't get lucky in finding one that is well balanced !

8. MSB

MSB Senior Member

those tribute models are great for the $. I bought a LP future when MF blew them out and loved the neck (asymmetrical- supposed to be '60s) and it is the biggest necked guitar I own (bigger than my '50s profile standard faded). I loved it so much I bought 3 or 4 the next few years when they went on sale and all had pencil thin '60s profiles, so they all got returned or sold. It is hands down the most comfortable neck of any guitar I've played so far...love it.

if you like '60s necks, you should really try a future tribute with the asymmetrical necks

9. moreles

moreles Senior Member

MSB's description of an asymmetrical neck matches my own experience exactly. I can play on pretty much anything -- not fussy -- but when I first tried an asymmetrical neck, I felt like I was in a whole different realm as far as playability is concerned. In addition to a far (far!) faster performance, the fact that the neck is asymmetrical, rather than just whippy-thin, means that it's not for shredders only. For my money, Music Man produces the best necks, notably the asymmetrical ones, of anybody.

10. Naquat

Naquat Member

Michael, how's the guitar honeymoon going?

I purchased, but won't receive it until next week, a 2013 SG Future Tribute NOS.
    I'm wondering how the 2013's SG's Volume and Tone Controls tracked?

I purchased a few of the PRS Vol/Tone pots but changed the cap values to suit my needs. They went into a Rutter's Tele body routed for a Hum (late 70s T-Top) in the Neck and Rick Hi-Gain (recent) in the bridge.

I wired it like a 50s L.P. but with only one Volume and Tone control. It does make a very audible difference in the way the Vol and Tone track and I hear more clarity from the pups. I really like the change so after I wait a bit and play the SG for a while to make sure it's a keeper I may replace the electronics in that as well. Especially since I have 2 more T-Tops, one early and one late 70's.

11. MSB

MSB Senior Member

I never had any issues with my PCB equipped guitars, but I took it out of one when I put in some TV Jones pickups and wired it '50s

12. JCarno

JCarno Senior Member

13. MSB

MSB Senior Member

14. Have FUN

Have FUN Senior Member

A black plastic nut on a Gibson ... Strange upgrade.

15. Joth

Joth Senior Member

What I like about 70's SGs is the way the fretboard lays flush on the body, unlike the earlier 60s style ones that have the fretboard underside elevated above the body with a step and neck shims, like a 335. This keeps the strings lower over the body.
    As far as neck profile goes, most have the narrow 1 9/16" nut which is a different scene, the profile tapers drastically thin from the nut up to the body, where its as fat as necks get.