NGD - One I didn't think I'd ever own...

Discussion in 'Other Gibsons' started by GibsonKramer, Sep 14, 2018.

1. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer The Three G's Premium Member

I tried bonding with my Explorer... I really did.

Problem is, it was a boat anchor. I enjoyed it, as a lap guitar... but I'm usually standing, when I play. I couldn't hack it, so it mostly hung on the wall, looking pretty.

Couple weeks ago, walk into the store and there's a Traditional Pro V. I ask about it, and my buddy says... "you'll like the other one better." He points to a 2007 Flying V Faded.

We pulled it down, and setup wise, it was pretty rough. The nut was chewed up. Intonation sucked and the switch didn't work. However, with a strap on it, slung over my shoulder... there was definitely something there. Even with its blatant needed fixes, the fact I couldn't play through the bridge p/u... I knew I wanted this guitar.

Brought my Explorer in, told them I wanted everything fixed on the V. Said for the trade, it needed to be the sweetest playing axe I've walked out of there with.

It took over a week, as we needed to order a new nut... but the tech did an awesome job. Got everything fixed and setup to my liking. Got it home, and plugged in... and wow, it is a everything I wanted the Explorer to be.

I'll probably eventually get another Explorer. Maybe a Korina. For now, I'm very happy with the V.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It did need ONE upgrade, however...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

rdbear7d, veeman, akuster777 and 5 others like this.
  2. endial

endial Senior Member

Nice.
    Reflectors really make it complete too. :yesway:
    Sorry you didn't bond with the Explorer, but keep trying 'cause they all seem to "hang" different to me, and you never know.

GibsonKramer likes this.
  3. GibsonKramer

Yeah, they make a big difference cosmetically. I'm probably going to throw some 'pup covers on, as well. Might swap out the pickups. This is one of those guitars, I won't mind fiddling with. Hell, it might even get a paint job, some day. I think its a keeper. Just spent some more time with it tonight, and had a blast. It really is fun to play. The pinch harmonics, are insane!

I replaced my Destroyer a few years back, with a newer one. So that kind of fills that Explorer void... plus, its pounds lighter. Though, I need to set it up better. The action is terrible.

endial likes this.
  4. Saiko

Saiko Senior Member

Congrats on the new guitar! Looks great and always nice to see a beat up guitar get a new life!

GibsonKramer likes this.
  5. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

Beautiful guitar, but that last pic needs some serious cropping. :dude:

GibsonKramer likes this.
  6. MSB

MSB Senior Member

sweet, does it have the ceramics or 490/498?

GibsonKramer likes this.
  7. GibsonKramer

BOOMER! :beer:

The ceramics.

I might change them. I like the sound of them, not so sure for what I typically play, which is mostly 70s and early 80s. I have to do some tone tweaking, if I'm really trying to nail something.

Though, I start playing some higher gain stuff, throwing in pinch harmonics, it screams.

It's pretty unique in my collection, which is why I'm still undecided.

I really like playing it so far. I'm still thrown by how well these guitars are balanced, and actually easy to change up playing position.

Other than the nut, switch and needing a setup, it's pretty flawless. I haven't found any dings, no corners chipped. Found 3 slight buckle scars on the back. Its big, but not as unwieldy as the Explorer.

MSB likes this.
  8. veeman

veeman Senior Member

Pickup rings and witch hat knobs!

MSB likes this.
  9. Who

Who I'm back. Back in the New York groove.

Tell me about the grille cloth on the red speaker cab. Did it come that way, or is that a custom job?

10. GibsonKramer

Pickup rings?

Wouldn't be opposed to witch hats, but I like the reflectors.

Vicky Morgan - JVM Tattoo Series. Marshall commissioned like 3 tattoo artists for the cab design matching color heads

I've tagged her, like every single time I've posted that amp. It gets more comments, than any others. I've probably sent her a good number of followers. Never one peep from her, not even a like.

She's cute... If you like tatted up women.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    Who likes this.