NGD: Mick Ralphs CC#43 R8 and Others...

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by oasis02, Dec 3, 2017.

1. oasis02

oasis02 Member

I did a (another) complete deck re-shuffle at CME this past week.

I dismantled my three piece set a few months ago because I had some "bucket listers" that became available. Although the individual pieces may have been better, I really never felt satisfied with the set. I always limit myself to three pieces as a ground rule, just seems to work.

Out: Page #1 Custom Authentic. Best tone I've personally heard out of an electric guitar. The neck gets so thin around the 9th fret area, you think it's going to snap. However, it did always stay in-tune. I just knew the neck wasn't going to be a long-term situation for me.
    '69 SG Standard: All original, very good condition. This was also a fantastic guitar.
    Martin Johnny Cash D-35: No complaints whatsoever with this one also.

In: Mick Ralphs CC#43 R8. The most comfortable LP I've ever held or played in terms of weight and neck profile. Add fantastic looks and great pickups and the LP search ends (for a while).
    The neck is very round and not overly-clubby. I had a Nicky that was far larger.
    1963 ES-335 RI w/Bigsby: Always wanted a Rich Robinson, but arrived to the party too late. This is one of those "floor models" and is really fantastic. Love the tone and the neck, which is surprisingly beefy. Nitpick: Lighter fretboard than I would prefer. I applied some F-1, and it's better. The guitar evidently sat in a Gibson warehouse for a few months.
    Santa Cruz Brad Paisley: I simply thought it was the best acoustic in the room.

The journey continues for 2018...No "It's great, but..." issues yet.

J50315, THDNUT, RAG7890 and 14 others like this.
  2. BBD

BBD Senior Member

I must say I do like the #CC 43. There's been a certain amount of sneering about this here and there, but it looks good to me. And if it hangs right and sounds right as you say, then we have a winner. Going admittedly only from the single photo you posted, the ageing looks decent enough too.

3. hidebai

hidebai Senior Member

Looks great! Congratulations

4. bblooz

bblooz Senior Member

Congrats and may you have many tonefull years ahead......

5. bossaddict

bossaddict Premium Member

Love nice. Congrats!

6. musicmaniac

musicmaniac Senior Member

Love that Ralph"s congrats!

7. mfolet

mfolet Senior Member

I got to play two of these today and man they do sound and feel nice.

8. oasis02

oasis02 Member

Thanks to all for the compliments!

I also couldn't understand the early-issued criticism of this one. Having owned or played several of the CC and/or TH models, I have to say this one is the finest (to my liking) of the models I've owned or auditioned (granted we're talking 10, not 40). Check the Looks/Feel/Tone boxes completely for me.

I was actually open to the Ralphs, the Slash (first burst), and even a CME LP (which is quite the piece for the $). As soon as I saw, then grabbed this one it was over. I did plug into a Friedman BE-100 while I waited for the transaction to be processed and my satisfaction only increased.

Also, many of these guitars started at a point far North of $7500, so I don't think the ultimate purchase price for the Mick Ralphs was unjust in the least. I can say I've paid more for less.

musicmaniac, lpthomas and Crotch like this.
  9. Truth011

Truth011 Senior Member

Congrats on your guitar shakeup! I wonder what you asked Santa for Christmas after all that?:hmm:

Is this the same guitar that Mick played on the Don Kirshner concert in 1974 with BAD CO.?

If it is, it sure faded a lot from a darkburst back then.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  10. lpthomas

lpthomas Senior Member

That criticism was strange anyway. After loads of highly regarded CC models, people think Gibson Custom is stupid to make ”just another 58”.

That‘s not what I see. What a beautiful LP! Enjoy!

11. Sct13

Sct13 Gold Supporter Premium Member

Nice score....