NGD: Meet my '65 SG... the "Beast!"

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by SoCal Flood, Feb 21, 2018.

1. SoCal Flood

SoCal Flood Silver Supporter

Ever since committing myself to learning to play guitar and going down the Les Paul path last year, I've been fascinated by the history behind all of these wonderful guitars. I'm a history buff and love old things that have a story. I originally thought I'd first end up with a player grade vintage Lester but i'll tell you what, this SG absolutely found me!

It's been the perfect compliment to my mint condition R9 because it's players grade vintage (I aint afraid of some new scars), a different model, with a different kind of pickup and a VERY different neck profile - at some point it was shaved down and is super thin compared to my R9.

I believe it to have all original wood with no breaks or major repairs of any kind, original and nicely worn in and very smooth binding, with an original P90 pickup, original electronics and knobs. It has been refinished, has a shaved neck, non-original tuners and non-original bridge. Not sure about the nut or the frets (I assume it had a fret job because they're in great condition), but the action is crazy low with no buzz whatsoever. This thing absolutely feels alive when I play it... it's so cool.

My R9 doesn't have a name, but when I brought this guy home and put them side by side I immediately thought, "beauty and the beast!"

Without further adieu, meet "Beast":

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.5.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg

2. bossaddict

bossaddict @david.beason on IG Premium Member

So glad you ended up pulling the trigger on that. Really cool! Congrats!

SoCal Flood likes this.
  3. Tobaccoburst83

Tobaccoburst83 Senior Member

Woah, your SG is amazing!

SoCal Flood likes this.
  4. charlie chitlins

charlie chitlins Senior Member

SWEEEEEEEEET!
    If you want even more simplicity, Philadelphia Luthier has a nice "lightning bolt" bridge.
    I think it's nickel, so it gets a patina pretty fast.
    I have one on my 65 Firebird III.
    Yeah...you wouldn't have to feel bad about putting a bridge pickup in that one.
    It'll maintain some of that simplicity if you keep it 1 volume, 1 Tone.
    I wire Gibsons that way. Blending is nice, but I want to twist ONE knob to make the tone I'm getting louder or softer.
    I read someone's post about the extra magnetic pull of 2 pickups...I don't buy it. I have 2 and 3 P90 guitars, and they do the LP Jr. thing just fine when switched to the bridge pickup.

SoCal Flood likes this.
  5. refin

refin V.I.P. Member

Great guitar,enjoy!

SoCal Flood likes this.
  6. BA-CHEE

BA-CHEE Senior Member

WoW ! - It's da Bomb ! - Love your pics , ... but isn't there a way to take pics without all the reflections in the finish showing up ? I know Black is a tough color to photograph , .. I especially love that pic of BOTH geetars , ... the Jr looks like it was taken with Black And White Film , and jammed next to the colored one , .. THAT's like putting em geetars in their "right" photographic eras ! - Love It ! Love It ! Love It ! :headbanger:

SoCal Flood likes this.
  7. deadlyweasel

deadlyweasel Silver Supporter

Get a mojoaxe bridge for an unwound G and that sucker is perfection! What a cool guitar!

SoCal Flood likes this.
  8. Curious George

Curious George Premium Member

Love it!!!

SoCal Flood likes this.
  9. Oatie

Oatie Member

Man, have some fun.

SoCal Flood likes this.
  10. musicmaniac

musicmaniac Senior Member

Cool congrats!