NGD Maybach Lester 59 Midnight Sunset

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by RayTorvalds, Mar 10, 2016.

1. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  2. RayTorvalds

RayTorvalds Senior Member

Very nice !! I need to cure my black custom GAS first though. I.... really.... need.... one.... :thumb:
    I did get a black guitar though (the Ibanez).. but yeah, still need a Custom.

3. RayTorvalds

4. RayTorvalds

5. RayTorvalds

6. RayTorvalds

This the most accurate pic I got, color wise. And it took me a long time

7. moreles

moreles Senior Member

I'm glad to see that Maybach is back to producing Lesters. I have not been able to try one, but I love everything I see and hear about them. I love the fact that the headstock is neither a Gibson copy or some absurd shape. Nicely done! I find both FGN (top models) and Maybach to be very appealing alternatives to Gibson. I wish FGN would drop its prices a bit; Maybachs are attractively priced. Congrats on your great guitar. I am absolutely envious!

RayTorvalds likes this.
  8. RayTorvalds

Thank you Moreles. It is a great guitar for sure. The headstock is actually based on the Larson Bros headstock.
    http://larsonbros.com/
    There you can see where it's from (the owner of Maybach owns Larson Bros too).

->Edit: oh, as far as I know Maybach never stopped making them, Moreles. I bet they are still catching up on their 800 backorders. If I remember right, it was PierM who ordered one and was put on a 2 month waiting list.
    Also, prices have gone up. Mine was 1799 euro when I got it (it was a gift). Then they went to 1899. They are around 1959 ( :hmm: ) euro now.

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  9. paruwi

10. RayTorvalds

Cheers Peter, thank you for sharing :cheers2:
    That first video, I saw before. It should be in this thread somewhere even. That second one, though, I never saw before. Very cool ! :yesway:
    Holy weight relief, by the way :shock: (2:00).

paruwi likes this.
  11. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins Senior Member

So does the CITES regulate Rosewood fret board guitars coming from Europe into The States like it does with guitars from Japan? Man those Maybach's appear to be well made. I'm liking what I see!! They don't have plain tops ?

12. paruwi

of course it does :thumb:

Nearly all countries signed these contracts

though I don't think there will be a problem providing the paperwork,
    currently they are working on a dealer-net in Europe, so
    I guess it's a matter of time untill Maybach has some dealers in the US

13. RayTorvalds

Hi Scott :) Peter answered the CITES question. About Maybach making plaintops. Let me just say I haven't seen one yet and I have seen quite a lot of Lesters. Sadly that is all I can tell you. Let me see if I can find out more.
    Maybe you can have one made, but my bet would be you'd have to go Custom Shop.

Cheers :cheers2:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
    paruwi likes this.
  14. RayTorvalds

@scott 351 wins Ok according to a master builder at Maybach Custom (not sure if he wants his name mentioned) said the custom shop can do a plain top for an upcharge, no problem. I will find out if the standard production team will do that too.. To be continued.

15. scott 351 wins

that would be awesome!!

16. RayTorvalds

Hey, coincidence hehe.. I was just typing when you hit that message.

Tomorrow, the question will be asked in the Maybach office, @scott 351 wins, so I should know tomorrow. So your question might end up having Maybach make plaintops. I said there is interest in them (and that some people prefer plaintops). The person I asked seemed interested. -> fingers crossed for you :fingersx:

I also said they owe me a Maybach t-shirt for all the advertisement (over 13k views on this thread)
    :lol: I was kidding of course.
    I really think there is plenty of market for plain tops though. A lot of people prefer them over flame tops.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    scott 351 wins and PierM like this.
  17. PierM

PierM Premium Member

I'm still on the fence for a Maybach. My latest attempts didn't success. Didn't really dig the colors and the tops (lot of angular flames and very symmetric tops which I don't like), and the average time for new stocks is huge at the moment. Also there are a couple of things which I don't understand, like the double screw on the pickguard bracket, for some models. I still want one of those, but probably I will head to a custom shop, but still no idea where to start. Love your sample by the way, but seems impossible to find your kind of top and finish, these days. Still on the fence! :)

18. RayTorvalds

With all due respect, @PierM . I don't notice the double screws on the pickguard when playing. It also has the wide binding on the cutaway.. It's not a '59 replica.
    They have done research on especially the neck shape for the old late 50's instruments (Lp junior, LP's, 335's). But yeah, they are not meant to be 100% acurate.
    The neck is subjective of course, but I'm in love with it. The lacquer feels really nice too.
    It's a super alive guitar.. that video you saw on matching certain necks to certain bodies.. Play one and you'll know it's true.
    Oh and yes, it's an LP .. it does the thing they do :cool2:
    I love the Amber pickups, they sound so sweet.

On the new finish they do, Pierm.. I agree, I don't really like the wider less faded burst either.
    If you like plaintops, I have been talking to people at Maybach about that.. Maybe that is an option for you ?
    Thank you for loving my "sample" by the way haha (made me chuckle) :cheers2: cheers mate.
    And I agree, I've never seen a Maybach like mine. I don't like very symmetrical tops either. Mine looks like wood (in my opinion). I love that.
    Some flamed tops look more like artwork than wood to me.
    It sucks you can't try them out first and see what you think :(

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  19. scott 351 wins

I don't really care for Flame tops for the most part although yours is really nice. A plain top shouldn't cost more than a fancy flame top so if its a custom shop order they may not sell as well.

RayTorvalds likes this.
  20. RayTorvalds

Why thank you scott :thumb: I love how mine looks too. I agree that a plain top shouldn't cost more. But I can see how that is the case right now at Maybach. As they are special
    order right now.
    However, if I can convince them there is plenty of market for plaintops and to get the standard (non custom shop) division start making them and they make/sell enough of them
    , they can most likely remove the upcharge. In other words, no special order. I'm working on it... It would be really cool if Maybach does it.
    I don't know if it's doable for them right away, but we'll see. To be continued again after I hear back from Maybach.

-> Edit: Oh, they asked what color would mostly be preferred for plaintops, so I started a thread in the Gibson LP forum. Maybe you can vote/respond on/to that thread.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017