NGD (last week) - SG400 Faded

Discussion in 'Other Epiphones' started by LDS714, May 12, 2017.

1. LDS714

LDS714 Member

First off, I'm not a guitarist but a bassist who plays guitar for fun, so my guitars aren't tools of the trade like my basses. They're simply for pure, unadulterated fun.

I've had the good fortune over the past couple of decades to play with a guitarist who has an extensive collection of Les Pauls and SGs. A few weeks ago he showed up with a stunning 61 Les Paul (SG), and the next time with another SG. While never a huge fan of SGs, these guitars really sounded good to me, even in comparison to his normal arsenal of vintage and current Les Pauls.

So...

I started looking at and playing SGs. After playing a couple dozen over the next week or so I finally found one that had the resonance and the feel I like. Turned out to be an Epiphone, to my surprise. And a very modestly priced one on top of it.

After playing every Gibson SG on the wall at a local GC, I spotted a faded cherry Epi over at the end of the row, marked down to $249. I picked it up as a joke, expecting it to pale in comparison to the Gibsons, but wow! I was stunned. That thing was just alive in my hands and felt as comfy as the pair of jeans my wife has been bugging me to throw away for the last 10 years. So I went back and played several of the others just to check, and sure enough, this one was the one that clicked.

So I bought it. A couple days later I asked my buddy to play it and he was equally impressed, remarking that it played and sounded as good as any of his.

Man, I love this guitar! Can't put it down.

2. net2000

net2000 Member

I know that feeling all too well, LDS!!! I'm with you!

File May 11, 5 18 50 PM.jpeg

LDS714 likes this.
  3. LDS714

LDS714 Member

Is the neck on yours getting smooth and shiny? I love the original matte finishes, but it seems most of them don't stay that way long.

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  4. net2000

net2000 Member

Yes it does, but that's when I grab a Scotchbrite pad and knock it down a bit. Also helps to keep the neck clean after each practice session by wiping her clean with a dry microfiber cloth. I dig the matte finish too, gotta admit!

5. Travis19

Travis19 Senior Member

Great story! There is no feeling like finding that special guitar that's unique to you. Congrats, and have fun!