NGD: Kramer Cheapo Deluxe

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by efstop, Jul 29, 2017.

1. efstop

efstop Senior Member

Well, OK, it's actually a Baretta Special, and it doesn't look especially cheap. Not sure I'll keep the pickup, but I haven't ran it through any pedals yet, just my AmPlug. I would also like to set the trem for raising pitch as well as lowering. I read that's a balancing act and it might be more than I want to fck with.

So, here it is, lying on the Gibson bag I brought it home in, with the tools, sticker and 10' cord that will look good in my audio parts box.

[​IMG]

Thanks again for all the input on my previous thread!

acstorfer, bungle, Who and 5 others like this.
  2. Zarg

Zarg Senior Member

awesome! that's what I wanted to buy recently too, it will eventually happen.... its just too cool!

efstop likes this.
  3. DarrellV

DarrellV Almost 1 Year old this month! Premium Member

Eddie rocked the world with one pickup and knob, on a Kramer cheapo. Time for you to take it to the next level with yours!
    :dude::jam:

thatF-INGflyingVguy and efstop like this.
  4. efstop

efstop Senior Member

It's quite cool, simple, too!

I don't think I'll make it to Level "Eddie" :jam:

5. guidothepimmp

guidothepimmp Senior Member

single pup fiddles for the win, congrats, cool guitar

efstop likes this.
  6. truckermde

truckermde Senior Member

ALL about the business :thumb:

thatF-INGflyingVguy and efstop like this.
  7. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

So, what's the verdict? These guitars have come up in discussion a few times around here, but I think you're the first to buy one. Hows the build quality (frets, etc)? Whats the neck like?

8. efstop

efstop Senior Member

The build quality is very good overall; frets are smooth, the neck is wide and slim and has a nice satin finish. No paint errors on the body, and the action may be a bit high but I don't know what to do with really low action :D

The nut may need some minor filing and/or lubing. A couple of strings stuck sharp after using the vibrato, but giving them a firm snap brought them down again. On the other hand, a nut replacement might be in the future.

I don't think I like the pickup all that much, as it's wound quite hot, and has a treble bleed on the lone volume pot. Easy enough to disable, and I have yet to try the guitar through the wah or any of my pedals.

I wasn't expecting much, really, but I think it's a good guitar that needs a small amount of adjusting.

Benjammin likes this.
  9. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

I use pencil graphite in the nut slots the first few times I change strings, that tends to help (unless there is a bigger issue at work). Glad you like it :thumb: I maybe bite the bullet and order a white one

efstop likes this.
  10. howlermonkey

howlermonkey Senior Member

If you plan to float the tremolo, I have a solution I recently e.mailed to floyd rose himself as an upgrade to his tremolo stop lock so you can still have a stable tremolo that won't go sharp when you palm it but still allows pulling up.

Add this..........

[​IMG]

To this..........

[​IMG]

The trick is finding the correct spring pressure and distance from the fulcrum point of the tremolo.

They come in tons of spring rates.

What you want is the tremolo to gently stop on the ball and then tighten the tremolo springs slightly but not enough to push the ball in.

Even better.....get rid of the lock nut (not shown in pic) and use a spring between block and head of bolt to keep it from turning.

Spring will also pull the head away and remove any slack in the threads.

The design really needs to be thicker where it is threaded because it sure looks weak.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    efstop likes this.
  11. efstop

efstop Senior Member

Thanks for the tips! I'm not sure I want to mess with the trem just yet. It's a Kramer design; looks like a Strat trem but I've never seen one of those up close. Trem guitars are new to me, if we don't count the '63 Jazzmaster I owned for a short time forty years ago. The guitar is cheap enough that I will no doubt tinker with it

12. Donal

Donal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Premium Member

Cool Guitar :thumb:

Congrats and HNGD :applause:

efstop likes this.