NGD, Gibson Standard T vs Traditional T (2017)

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by The Russian, Jul 29, 2017.

Which one do you like better?

1. Gibson Standard 2017 (T)

31.1%
  2. Gibson Traditional 2017 (T)

68.9%
  1. The Russian

The Russian Junior Member

So a couple weeks back I picked up a new 2017 Gibson Standard T in Bourbon Burst. Yesterday, I exchanged the guitar for a brand new Traditional T 2017 Honeyburst model instead. Here is why (for anyone who is on the fence between the two models):

Standard Features:
    - Push Pull coil-taps + bypass/phase (difference can mostly only be heard on clean channels), no pointers
    - AAA maple top (mine was cool, but after doing some research it was NOT a AAA, only about 60/70% of the top was figured, severely mismatched, and the flames were meh)
    - Locking Tuners (chrome kidneys)
    - Chrome hardware (not necessarily a pro, but this material tends to stay "new" looking for much longer than nickel; however, to some, it may look cheaper
    - 60's slimmer D-neck profile
    - Ultra-Modern Weight Relief (guitar weight: 7.5+ lb) Gibson claimed that this didn't negatively affect tone, this is NOT true. I, as well as the 20+ people I asked to compare the tone of a solid body Traditional vs the ultra modern weight relief Standard, all noticed that the Standard sounded extremely thin compared to the Traditional. The sustain on the standard was okay despite being supposedly more resonant due the to the weight relief chambers; I think this is due to the fatter neck profile of the Traditional in addition to its solid body.
    -No poker chip under the Treble/Rythm pickup switch
    -Burstbucker Pro pickups in the neck and bridge: this are very bright pickups; counterintuitively, these have a much pess powerfull output than the Burstbucker 1 & 2 combo in the traditional
    - 009 gibson strings as default
    - TekToid nut
    - Aluminum tune-o-matic bridge and tailpiece
    -$3,099 CAD new
    - Rosewood fingerboard
    - Rolled binding

Traditional Features:
    -Solid Body, no weight relief (guitar weight: 9.5 lb): I've tried many les pauls (ranging from 2014 R9/R8's to Custom Shop Alpine White, to dozens of Epiphones, I've owned the 2017 Classic Goldtop and the 2016 LPJ), I can tell you surely that to my ears, this guitar sounds the best (if best means a deep tone, full of over-tones, and OOMPF that you expect in a 9.5lb les paul)
    -Rounded neck, something between a baseball bat and the Standard D profile (similar in feel to the Fender modern C neck profile)
    -No locking tuners (traditional greenish keystones): I do not know if I am just lucky, but I instantly swapped the 09 defauly strings for 10's, and without doing any work on the nut, this thing does not lose tune at all
    -Nylon historic nut
    -Nickel hardware
    -Burstbucker 1 in neck and 2 in bridge (significantly higher output that the Pro's, seem to be slightly brighter as well)
    -No push/pull coil-taps, historic knob pointers are included though
    -Wired ABR bridge and Aluminum stopbar
    -AA flame maple top (I specifically requested the best looking top from the distributor after the dissappointment with the Standard "AAA", and I was pleasantly surprised. It almost seems like the person who selected the two maple top halves was like me. His/her OCD kicked in and what I now have is the most perfectly matched halves ever with nice consistent flames)
    -No poker chip
    -Hand wired Orange Drop capacitors (maybe also contributing to the guitars warmer tone)
    - Rosewood fingerboard
    - Rolled binding
    - $2,599 CAD

Verdict, I now know that I am 100% a Traditional guy. I still have my Zebra Seymour Duncan APH1 pickups on order, this will be a cherry on top once I install these. I might pickup the pokerchip too for that extra mojo haha

To anyone choosing between these two, I hope this comparison helps.

Cheers and checkout the photos!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  2. Razzle

Razzle Senior Member

Answer for me is easy and clear:

1. Weight relief
    2. Thinner neck (not a tree log)

Donal likes this.
  3. Donal

Donal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Premium Member

I love my standard and appreciate the lighter weight when playing for hours.

Here`s a good comparisson as well

4. The Russian

The Russian Junior Member

Seen em all, this one captures the tonal differences better (the chappers video that u posted has Rob using terrible distortion with his guitar which takes away from the comparison)

5. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Senior Member

Absolutely. Same for me.

Donal likes this.
  6. Wailing

Wailing Senior Member

If it were my only guitar and I was gigging it, probably the Standard, however if I had another guitar, was able to use both on stage, or just to sit, and enjoy, definitely the Traditional.... It looks like a piece of art, and Im guessing it sounds a treat :cheers2:

The Russian likes this.
  7. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

I'm a Trad guy too. My first ever Gibson LP was Standard. Just like you I returned it and got a Trad instead. I just prefer the specs and presentation of the Trads.

Congrats and HNGD!

The Russian likes this.
  8. Nippon

Nippon Insert Kanji here... Premium Member

The 2016-17 Trad necks are not big at all.

9. Nippon

Nippon Insert Kanji here... Premium Member

The later Standards are a confused guitar.

A Trad is more like a LP.

The Russian likes this.
  10. SpawnedX

SpawnedX Senior Member

My 2017 Standard weighs in at over 8 pounds, in fact during all the months I was shopping I never saw one 2017 Standard even nearing 6 pounds, you sure you measured that right? lol

Sustain and tone on it are killer, even die hard Traditional guys who I let give it a go are smitten with the tone. I think you got a bad apple the first time.

jeffy and The Russian like this.
  11. drkato

drkato Double Platinum Supporter

I noticed that too from my 2017 to my 2015.

The Russian likes this.
  12. SpawnedX

SpawnedX Senior Member

Here are some better pics of my top in different lighting scenarios.

Attached Files:

Christosterone and The Russian like this.
  13. FennRx

FennRx Senior Member

Historic is the correct answer

Nippon likes this.
  14. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

Yes, the 2016/17 Trads are far from tree logs. My two 2016 Trads measure .840/.982 and .830/.976 (1st & 12th) as compared to my old 2014 Trad which was a baseball bat at .910/1.013.

The 2016/17s are actually a nice, comfortable medium. About perfect actually.

15. drkato

drkato Double Platinum Supporter

For what it is worth, the Classic is a pretty nice overall "in between" of the Standard and Traditional (in terms of specs), and cheaper than both.

Christosterone and 1all's Pub like this.
  16. PierM

PierM Premium Member

To each his own. Pick the one is better for you. Done.

17. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

I have played some Classics in stores. 60s profile, but like you said, kind of in between the Trad and the Standard and very comfortable because they are "rounded" (never got on with the asymmetric 60s necks of the modern Standards).

My 2009 Trad Pro is a nice rounded 60s (.800/.900) and while definitely feels slimmer than my two 2016 Trads, I really have grown to like it a lot. That said, over the years I've gone from strongly preferring slim 60s to strongly preferring baseball bat 50s, to now being pretty flexible and able to be comfortable on most any neck. None cause me any kind of "problems" or "discomfort". It's really more about a tactile experience... i.e., which do I enjoy the feel of more. In reality I've come to enjoy the variety. :) Makes playing/feeling each guitar different and enjoyable for different reasons. :D

drkato likes this.
  18. Macronaut

Macronaut Silver Supporter

My 2017 Standard is almost 9lbs. I do not recall seeing any less than 8lbs........so far.

SpawnedX likes this.
  19. GT40

GT40 Senior Member

What does the T stand for?

20. Macronaut

Macronaut Silver Supporter

Traditional and/or Traditional.

1all's Pub likes this.