NGD Gibson Les Paul Faded 2017 T Worn Cherry (Many PICS!)

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by Kitsune, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Kitsune

Kitsune Junior Member

Hello everybody!

I have posted about this guitar and how I added a Poker chip to it but then I realised I did not do a NGD post so, here is my new baby:

_MG_9974.jpg

I have attached many pics with and without flash so you can check the color depending on different lighting configuration.

I am more of a Telecaster guy but always liked the Les Paul guitars. I had an Epiphone Les Paul Tribute Plus before this one that I sold after a while cause it did not really suit my needs back then but now I got this Gibson and I must say I am pretty satisfied with it.

The only gripe I have is about the neck and fretboard junction, there seems to be a slight gap that I can feel when I hold the neck in my hand and it's not really feeling like a good job from Gibson. I know it's not a high end model but I remember my Epiphone being flawless and much better finished for a cheaper price.

Here are some macro pics of the neck.
    _MG_0017.jpg

_MG_0020.jpg
    I read that it can be a common problem with some Gibson necks especially with bindings but I couldn't find a workaround for this situation.

Except this minor finish problem, the guitar looks good, sounds awesome and feels nice to play. It sustains for hours compared to my Telecaster standard US but clean sounds are a bit more harsh than with the Tele. I feel like it has more bite and more raw power compared to the Epiphone I had. Might be because of the mapple neck.

I've also bought a set of pick-up covers but it seems that it's harder to install them than I thought (wax potting etc...) not sure if I will do it myself or ask a pro to do it for me. (any tips are welcome too)

IMG_0877.JPG

I was hesitating between this one and the Gibson Les Paul Tribute 2017 or an Epiphone Les Paul Custom. I just wish this one had block inlays instead of dots but I like the more glossy finish of the neck and top.

Let me know guys what you think about that guitar and if you have any tips about how I could fix the neck I am all ears!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  2. edselman

edselman Senior Member

Very nice. I have the 2016 version and it’s the LP I play most. The fretboard edge treatment on Gibsons with unbound necks is problematic. Some are done better than others. Gibson sprays the color coat over the fretboard edge and then scrapes it clean by hand with a blade. Sometimes the person doing the scraping is overly aggressive, or the blade is dull. I’ve owned three of these. I would say that the job on your neck is about average for a Faded. Just play the hell out of it. These are great guitars.

Kitsune likes this.
  3. Les Paul Newb

Les Paul Newb Senior Member

They scrape unbound necks too? I didn't know that! I learn something new everyday.

Yeah op, that's not cool. Gibson pisses me off sometimes. They charge a LOT, as they should, a LP is a much more complex build than a strat or tele. Things like binding, a carved bookmatched top, a lamented body, the fact that you need a huge neck blank to make a LP neck without a scarf joint, set neck, inlays, I could go on.

That's why I hate when people compare prices of fender & Gibson. Not comparable.

But Gibson needs a serious QC overhaul. If the Chinese, Koreans & Indonesians can do it than Gibson USA better damn well be able to.

Kitsune and Bemis like this.
  4. Kitsune

Kitsune Junior Member

Thanks for your explanations edselman.
    Well this can explain the little gap I have on mine then. I've also noticed that after a few days of playing it and after some oiling of the fretboard, the upper part of the neck feels a bit smoother so I hope it will slowly get leveled with time and heavy use.

Who and edselman like this.
  5. Kitsune

Kitsune Junior Member

Buying a Faded I actually was expecting even worse than that little neck problem, overall the guitar is well made though it is a very simple stripped down finish.

That's why I was hesitating to buy a low end Gibson instead of getting an Epiphone again. I knew the Gibson Faded are actually not made as well as an Epi Custom but I also knew I wanted the sound of the Gibson. I am not disappointed about how the guitar behaves and sounds. To me it feels a lot better than the Epiphone I had, more reactive to attacks and more energy coming out of it. It might be due to the pair of 490's pickups in there compared to the Classic 57' that were in the Epi Tribute Plus though.

I still need to decide if I will put these damn pick-up covers I bought, I am also affraid they might alter the sound and not in a good way but I always liked the look of them on a Les Paul.

Who likes this.
  6. DarrellV

DarrellV Almost 1 Year old this month! Premium Member

Very nice OP! I'm a big fan of red guitars myself.

The covers aren't too bad to install and you don't need to wax pot them.

To do it permanent you will need to be able to solder a small bead on the underside of the pickup.

If you are using monster gain there is a chance they may squeal.

There is a thread in here that shows other ways to dampen the covers without wax. Like a strip of packing foam.

You could just slip them on and press them down for now. if they fit snugly enough they will stay on .

You can then see if they need soldering and damping.

Kitsune, cherrysunburst00 and Who like this.
  7. Kitsune

Kitsune Junior Member

Thanks for your reply,
    I really like cherry and wine red guitars but I would not call them red guitars, hehehe! I saw a few second handed Wine Red Studios for a little more than the faded but I needed to get it fast and also this one was cheaper anyway.
    I think for me the ultimate Les Paul would be a Custom Wine Red. Maybe because it's the first Les Paul I had in hands ever. (one of my friends was lucky enough to have herited that Les Paul from his uncle or something.)

I will try something reversible for the covers first. I can solder them on if needed but I would like to see if I can just fit them in and check if the sound pleases me with the covers on. :)

Anyway, everytime I play this guitar I am really liking it more, it stays in tune, has great sustain and sounds really good in distortion. I practice a lot on Tool covers just for fun and it's perfect for the job.

8. Kitsune

Kitsune Junior Member

Alright I've finally put the covers on, I just used a cool foam double sided tape I had laying around, didn't have the idea to try before your post.

-4.jpg
    The covers fit real snug so I just put one strip of tape inside, covering the whole part in contact with the pickup except where holes are.
    The foam tape is a little thick so the poles don't really stand out of their holes but I think it's ok like this.
    -2.jpg

I tried it with a small amp at home and pushed volume to max to see if there would be any feedback but did not catch any yet.
    The sound seems a bit less harsh and more contained than without covers, I like it.

Here is a quick pic of the guitar with covers now ;) I think it looks much better, let me know what you guys think!
    -1.jpg

Attached Files:

• -3.jpg
      -3.jpg
      File size:
      40.4 KB
      Views:
  9. DarrellV

You done good! :applause:
    Just grab a small screwdriver and turn the pole screws up out of the covers and you'll never know the difference. :thumb:
    The covers will decrease the top end just a little bit due to the way they interact with the magnetic field of the pickup. Nothing unusual. If you are liking the difference and you can actually hear it, congrats! You have good ears.:D

Also having the pole screws down so low will have a mellowing effect on the sound. It will brighten up when you raise the poles.

Kitsune and cherrysunburst00 like this.
  10. Kitsune

Kitsune Junior Member

Oh yeah another great suggestion, I'll try that right away! I guess I'll have to adjust the height of the pickups down too after I've raised the poles up.

Thanks again for the advices!

11. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

CONGRATS on your new Beastie. I dig pick up covers, so :applause:...

I think ya done well.

Kitsune and DarrellV like this.
  12. Kitsune

Kitsune Junior Member

Thanks and you're right, she is a real beast! :jam:

DarrellV and cherrysunburst00 like this.
  13. Kitsune

Kitsune Junior Member

Allright it's done now, I have raised the poles up, perfect!!! I owe you one DarrellV! :cheers2:

DarrellV likes this.
  14. DarrellV

:photos: with poles up, plz...:drool:

You are more than welcome.... I'm just glad I could be of assistance!:cheers2:

Kitsune likes this.
  15. Kitsune

Kitsune Junior Member

-6.jpg -8.jpg

There you go!!!

16. DarrellV

OEM look FTW!!! (for the Win) :applause:
    [​IMG]

Kitsune likes this.
  17. Kitsune

Kitsune Junior Member

18. Biddlin

Biddlin Senior Member

Schweet! I love worn cherry!

Kitsune likes this.
  19. Kitsune

Kitsune Junior Member

Worn Cherry is awesome but then there's Black Cherry Burst :drool:

gibson-2017-les-paul-studio-t-black-cherry-burst-3.jpg

DarrellV likes this.
  20. DarrellV

That is nice!
    I think @rjwilson37 had or has a few like this he could show us! Sweet finishes!:thumb:

Kitsune likes this.