NGD - Gibson does one right

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by northernbreed, Mar 8, 2018.

1. northernbreed

northernbreed Senior Member

On a whim, I recently grabbed a new 2018 GLP Traditional Honey Burst from Sweetwater when they (finally) posted some interesting new ones. I really liked the top and color, weight is fine (9 lbs), pics gave me a decent idea of a few key areas of the guitar (nut, fretboard-to-body finish, string alignment, etc.). I totally went against my own insistence that I only buy used LPs. :)

Turns out I really like it - a lot. Tonewise, I've not heard a Trad (going back to 2013) that sounds this toneful, alive, and just interesting, either plugged in or not. Fretboard is really nice, clean fretwork, binding, nibs look great. Excellent neck set angle. The nut was cut and placed really well, and has also been shaped and smoothed a bit compared to other ones I've had. Everything about the physical guitar is spot-on - I go through them pretty carefully over the first day or two and this one came up very clean.

One interesting note: the dang thing was set up to perfection. Just a hair of relief, excellent action at the 12th, good nut slot depths, intonation was ... what? ... dead-on. I literally haven't touched the truss nut or the saddles since I got it, save to tweak the intonation just a hair when I switched to 10's.

Someone was paying attention when this one was built and packaged up. I had some serious seller's remorse when I sold off my last GLP Trad, and now things are right again.

Trying to take pics of this one is difficult - it's got the most "animated" top I've ever seen. It really changes a lot depending on your position, and it also shows this very cool flamey ripple effect when you tilt the guitar towards/away from you (in addition to the side-to-side thing). Not seen one like it before.

IMG_4170_sm.jpg IMG_4175_sm.jpg

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018

2. rtTX

rtTX Member

Cograts, looking forward to the pics!

Probably bucking the trend here but I've been quite impressed with Gibson's CG of late also.

Due to CME's recent blowouts, I've bought about 7 or 8 new "floor models" in the last 5 months (Memphis, Custom Shops & a LP Standard). All but one of them have been flawless.

3. bungle

bungle Premium Member

4. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

Two words:

Pho - tos !

5. Scream And Fly

Scream And Fly Senior Member

That’s because Sweetwater set it up for you, not Gibson. Sweetwater is great, I won’t buy anywhere else.

6. BeanoFAN

BeanoFAN Senior Member

Congrats!! I have two '17 Gibsons (SG Standard and Les Paul Classic) and both are amazing guitars. The SG required some setup, but now she plays like a dream. The Les Paul required ZERO setup. Amazing setup from the factory. Im gonna throw 10s on it, so that may require some adjusting though.

cherrysunburst00 and bulletproof like this.

7. jfletcher67

jfletcher67 Member

Sweetwater does an "evaluation" but they don't do setups, so the setup he's experiencing is in fact Gibsons work. Doesn't surprise me, I've yet to play or own a 2016-17 or 18 Les Paul that wasn't excellent. Standards, Trads, Tributes. All great.

8. rjwilson37

rjwilson37 Senior Member

Congrats, HNGD and we would love to see some pics.

cherrysunburst00 and bulletproof like this.

9. northernbreed

Agreed. Fwiw, this one was barely 4 weeks old from its build completion date when it arrived here.

Pics a bit later for sure.

10. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Outstanding!!! Definitely need the pics!!
    Ya know,brother,I’m thinking they just may have gotten more than one right:hmm: :laugh2: :cheers2:

cherrysunburst00 likes this.

11. jbash

jbash Senior Member

Actually they do. You can pay when you checkout to have all kinds of custom work/setups done.

If you have a great relationship with your Sales Engineer, they will often take care of you. My latest purchase came with a setup and fresh strings for no additional cost.

Satch0922 likes this.

12. Roxy13

Roxy13 Senior Member

I have been very impressed by my 2017 SG Standard HP.

13. JesseXGibson

JesseXGibson Senior Member

Nice man congrats! They do pump out some bad ass guitars. You just have to be a bit selective.. I bought a 2017 Les Paul standard hp like 6 or so moths ago, and I still can’t put it down. It was worth every single penny!

That being said tho, 2016-2017, as well as 2018 models have stood out tremendously, dare I say, maybe QC tightened one or two of their loose bolts?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018

14. northernbreed

FWIW, I definitely dig buying guitars from Sweetwater, for all the obvious reasons. But I have no interest in having them do setup work for me.

15. Renegade

Renegade Senior Member

HNGD...but we need :photos:

16. Kingdom of Nye

Kingdom of Nye Senior Member

17. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

CONGRATS. Itchin' to see

18. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

19. jbash

jbash Senior Member

I do most of my own work too (and had to tweak my latest to my own nitpicky tastes). I was just stating they indeed do all manner of setup work from the basic to beyond.

northernbreed likes this.

20. Razzle

Razzle Senior Member

WHAT new honey burst? I don't see one.