NGD - FSR Fender Offset Series Mustang in Mocha Brown

Discussion in 'Fender' started by LSAR, Dec 2, 2017.

1. LSAR

LSAR Professional Lurker Premium Member

Hey guys!

I mostly just lurk but now and then I pop in, and I like to post when I've got an NGD to share.

Yesterday I visited my local Long & McQuade (Canadian instrument retailer chain/monopoly) and I ran into a Mustang. Being a big grunge fan and having been in the past very much into Nirvana I had to play it - I've played a few of these new models but this one being an FSR due to the finish really caught my eye. Mocha Brown/'70s Sh!tStain Brown. I played it for a bit, didn't plug in, and couldn't get it off my mind the rest of the night, so I went back today and figured if I slept on it and woke up wanting it more then I really had no choice but to get it.

I love this thing. Pics follow, and hopefully some better ones tomorrow when the sun's up:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I haven't been playing much for awhile, but this one's got me inspired again. I plugged into a Fender Bassbreaker 007 and there was no turning back. I'll be heading back within the next couple of months to get a new amp as well and a Bassbreaker 007 or a DSL5C will be at the top of the list (I only play at home, for myself).

I've recently moved out of the city and will be working from home, I'm hoping some toys will keep me busy in my spare time.

For those potentially interested in one of these they're dealer exclusives: Chicago Music Exchange in the US, Andertons in the UK and maybe EU as well, and L&M here in Canada.

azzapeel and Nippon like this.
  2. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

very nice :dude:

3. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Senior Member

Congrats on a killer little guitar.

I love that not very common color.

I have a '75 Mocha Strat and I dig the color.

Here's my '75:

[​IMG]

Benjammin and LSAR like this.
  4. LSAR

It's an awesome color! I'd like to see another release or two with this finish so that I can gather a bit of a set.

And that Strat is beautiful!

Texsunburst59 likes this.
  5. LSAR

Grabbed a few day time shots of this one:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gotta say I'm loving it.

azzapeel, Benjammin and Bud Stoner like this.
  6. bum

bum Senior Member

Congrats on that, I love mine too, it's a bit different being a 1964 and I've stuck a Dirty Fingers in it :laugh2:

20171206_230810.jpg

20171206_230819.jpg

20171206_230828.jpg

7. Phil W

Phil W Senior Member

It's like playing a 1970s coffee table!
    The more I look at the images the more I like them.

LSAR likes this.
  8. scozz

scozz Senior Member

Sweet! Very unique color...me like!

LSAR likes this.
  9. Bud Stoner

Bud Stoner Senior Member

I am so loving that finish.

As perfect looking as it is, I'm wondering how a pau ferro board would look on that........:hmm:

I'm guessing it'll be :rock:

LSAR likes this.
  10. LSAR

You've got me wondering too. I wouldn't terribly mind seeing it but I can't quite picture it looking right for some reason. I held up a spare Epi neck I've got laying around with a RW board and it didn't seem like the brown and brown was working...sort of like mixing camo. I'm thinking Warmoth roasted maple neck now...hmm.

The only changes I'm really considering are some '70s style tuners, maybe a Graph Tech nut (but this one's pretty well cut, I'm hesitant to screw with it much). I do like the idea of an ashtray/bridge cover too.

Bud Stoner likes this.
  11. Bud Stoner

Bud Stoner Senior Member

I agree with the RW looking too dark on an otherwise dark finished guitar, and pau ferro, being a lighter shade of woodgrain may perhaps lend itself well to that.

But if we're talking cray cray cool roasted maple necks with a raw wood burnished and polished with stainless steel frets on a setup like that, all I can say is:

5514414.jpg

LSAR likes this.
  12. LSAR

I'm still thinking about this. It's pretty tempting. I probably see another mustang of some kind and a Warmoth order of some degree happening in the future so who knows...

I took some gut shots a bit ago if anyone's interested. Routing looks the same as the other colors, room for a P-90 there but definitely not a 'bucker. Not sure what any of the barcodes or numbers mean in the cavities, not that it really matters. Body looks to be 2 pieces as best I can tell. I wonder if the skunk stripe on the neck is still RW or if they've switched over to Pau Ferro? Anyway, I'm quite happy with the pickups, they've actually got some pretty decent output to them. The electronics and soldering look good, and I don't see need for any change there. I was considering a PG and wiring kit to convert this to traditional 'stang wiring but definitely don't want it enough to route for those switches. I'd like to be able to locate some 2P switches that look the same at some point...to include the features of traditional mustang wiring with the ability to switch pickups with the toggle. I have started to have issues with the G string popping out of it's slot if I'm playing particularly hard. It really doesn't have much of a downward angle going for it leaving the nut towards the tuners. I'm thinking staggered height kluson-style tuners may be best to fix that.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bud Stoner likes this.
  13. Bud Stoner

Bud Stoner Senior Member

Routing and wiring do look really clean.

MIM Fenders are a great bang for the buck, especially these Offset Series.

I think I may move something to snag one of these.

If I do, I'll agonize over Mocha or Shell Pink..........:hmm:

But either way, I'll be happy having one of these! :cheers:

14. azzapeel

azzapeel Senior Member

Today for Christmas I received a white offset series mustang from my wife and kids. A really nice guitar. I am loving it. :D

LSAR and Bud Stoner like this.
  15. Bud Stoner

Bud Stoner Senior Member

Congrats on the new 'stang! :cheers:

azzapeel likes this.
  16. LSAR

Nice! That is what I'd call a very merry xmas!

azzapeel likes this.