NGD: Foto-Flame Tele

Discussion in 'Fender' started by Nicky, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Nicky

Nicky On The Road Less Traveled Premium Member

I will post pics when I receive guitar next week. In the meantime...

Ebay NGD

For those of you who don't know about "Foto-Flame" Fenders, they are very unique. Made in Japan in 1994-95, the finish is a photographic film re-creation of wood flame which is laminated on the body and neck. It obviously differentiates itself from the traditional solid color Teles. The body has a Strat-type body scoop which gives it smoother lines. This one has passive EMGs. I usually don't buy a guitar without playing it, but I did alot of research on the Foto Telecasters and they are considered excellent players. Many people think the Foto finish is "cheap", but most guitar finishes are sprayed on, anyway. These Fenders are made of basswood and have a maple or alder cap. Whatever folks think, these Japanese Fenders were extremely well made at the Fuji-gen plant. I traded emails with a few Foto-Flame owners, and they said they would never sell them. The price I paid was right at market per the 2009 Vintage Guitar price guide.

Do any of you here know anything more about the Foto-Flame Fenders? Thanks.

2. Jason

Jason Senior Member

What is this shit? You should call it "NGD (in a few days)". :laugh2: Got me all excited, but I can't even see the big pictures because the auction is ended and it redirects me. :(

3. Nicky

Scroll down the page to see the photos. Pretty weird guitar, but I love it (I think?).

4. Jason

Jason Senior Member

Oh, yeah I'm stupid. :laugh2: I always thought those were really cool looking geetars. :thumb:

5. Nicky

There are actually a bunch of Foto-Flame freaks at the Fender Forum. I don't know how many were made, but they were manufactured for only 18 months. Oh well, if I'm not happy with it, I'll turn it around. Pretty excited about playing it, though.

6. NXC1978

NXC1978 Senior Member

That neck looks awesome! Not sure how I feel about a flamed Fender body, but the neck is so sweet and vintage style too boot! The lack of skunk stripe with all that flame in the wood is just great.

7. Nicky

No question, a flamed Tele is different. The necks and headstock look really cool. I believe the EMGs will sound incredible...hope so. Will report back when I have a chance to crank it up.

8. NXC1978

NXC1978 Senior Member

Cool, I just noticed you are from Dallas too! Hope it works out for you!:thumb:

9. redcoats1976

redcoats1976 Senior Member

had a fotoflame strat.it was nice and light and played pretty well but at the time i had 5 strats so i traded it...

10. Nicky

Arrived late last night. Plugged it in, and it was very underwhelming...almost anemic. I pulled open the volume/tone pot cavity and found that the EMG pickups are active, not passive. Replaced the battery, and it rocked my world! Restrung it today, cleaned the crud off the pots and switches, shined her up...good as new. Photos tomorrow.:applause:

11. Jason

Jason Senior Member

Score! (still pissed about the lack of real pictures, but I'll try to be patient :laugh2:) So how do those actives compare to regular, run of the mill Fender types?

12. Nicky

Not unlike the Nashville Tele - Tex Mex bridge and neck, Strat Mex in the middle. However, the 9v amp adds some salsa to the mix!
    [​IMG]

13. Nicky

OK, here are photos:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The infamous McDonald's "Hamburglar"!
    [​IMG]

14. NXC1978

NXC1978 Senior Member

Nice pics! The hamburglar strikes again!!

15. Jason

Jason Senior Member

:laugh2: Yup, there he is. Awesome looking guitar. Glad to hear it sounds great too. Just goes to show you, you don't have to blow a lot of money to get yourself a winner. :dude:

16. Nicky

I'm telling you, this guitar sounds awesome. May already be my favorite. How do you share an MP3 on here? I recorded a short loop with the new Tele.

17. NXC1978

NXC1978 Senior Member

I checked back to see if you had figured out how to share the mp3. No such luck I see! I wouldn't know how to post one either!:laugh2:

18. Nicky

I believe you do it in a fashion similar to photos. There are some audio/video hosting sites like Photobucket out there. So, one can upload an mp3 then post the link on a forum.

19. mikemack

mikemack Senior Member

20. Jason

Jason Senior Member

I use 4shared.com :)