NGD: ES-355

Discussion in 'Other Gibsons' started by zumzool, Sep 23, 2017.

1. zumzool

zumzool Junior Member

I jumped on this as part of CME's blow out prices on ES guitars. It's listed as a used floor model, but it was at their warehouse when I ordered it. I think they bought a bunch of Gibson's 2016 left over stock and sell them as used floor models so they can advertise the lower prices. Anyway, I first saw this ES-355 listed for $2595 on Amazon.com (through CME). So I called them up and got them to knock a few hundred dollars off. I figured they had some leeway since they didn't have to pay the amazon fees. During the set up, they emailed me about a blemish they found on the top. They took off another $100 off. Needless to say, I'm very happy and have had a lot of good luck buying guitars from them. I also got a deal from them last winter when they were blowing out their 2015 guitars.

The guitar is gorgeous and plays beautifully. I'm not sure how I feel about the richlite fretboard. I wish I could moisturize it or something. It has 57 classics which I also have in my les paul. I love em'. The blemished turned out to be nothing.It's just around the f-holes. Overall, I'm still adjusting to it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thebowl, SingeMonkey, VictorB and 7 others like this.
  2. mandobandit

mandobandit Senior Member

wow very pretty, I'm coming down with the 335 bug, and these photos are not helping, congratulations

3. Donal

Donal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Premium Member

Nice, ES`s always look great in that colour :thumb:

Congrats and HNGD :applause:

4. Bemis

Bemis Senior Member

That looks wonderful. Enjoy!

5. Paul46

Paul46 Senior Member

Congrats, aint nothing like a cherry red 355!

I have two,one ebony and one richlite, and I swear if it wasn't for the maestro trem I really would be pushed to tell them apart.

6. zumzool

zumzool Junior Member

Here is another photo with my two CME scores over the last year... the one on the left if the ES355, the one on the right is a '64 ES-345 with no varitone that I got in November. Both on smokin' deals. The ES-355 feels sturdier. The 345 is built with light weight woods and the is a difference. I think I prefer the neck on the 345 a little more as it's a little wider and slightly less wood on the back of the neck. The 355 has a similar feel to my Les Paul. Sound wise, the 345 is a little brighter (MHS Humbuckers) than the 355 (57 classics) and I'm wondering how much of that has to do with the 550k pots.

[​IMG]

endial, FennRx, mrfett and 2 others like this.
  7. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

If that 345 disappears, you might want to list me as a suspect in the police report. Goodness!

endial and Frogfur like this.
  8. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

Beautiful !!

Congratulations... and no need for this close up photo showing this very small scratch.. it won't take anything of the beauty of this guitar :D

9. afjungemann

afjungemann Senior Member

Thanks to this thread, I was able to connect with a very similar deal! I have been wanting a 355 for a long time now and will be posting my NGD on Wednesday after it arrives.

endial, FennRx and Pop1655 like this.
  10. zumzool

zumzool Junior Member

Sweet. I'd love to see pics when it arrives.

11. BenjaminW

BenjaminW Member

Can I steal that guitar?

12. afjungemann

Are you getting by without a roller bridge? I have tried bigsbies before with some good and bad luck. Any work you did to make it more stable?

13. zumzool

zumzool Junior Member

I haven't had any issues with it. But I've attributed any tuning stability issues to new strings that are still getting stretched out.

14. MrWrong

MrWrong V.I.P. Member

Congrats, you have a couple of beautiful ESes.

15. yeatzee

yeatzee Senior Member

I've never owned a bigsby guitar until this week when I picked up a 330 59ri with bigsby and I was very nervous it'd go out of tune like I've read on the forums but after a fresh setup the guitar stays in tune better than any of my other guitars even with being very aggressive with the bigsby. I think the key is a good amount of big Ben's nut sauce or similar lubricant on the saddles and nut slots.

afjungemann likes this.
  16. afjungemann

Very good to know! Do you have nylon saddles or brass?

17. yeatzee

yeatzee Senior Member

Mines got a tonepros g formula abr which has their nylon saddles that are supposed to be modeled after the old nylon stuff just slippery-er. Can't say what difference they make since the guitar came with them but I think the nut sauce makes it an equal playing field with whatever saddles you've got.

18. hunstamash

hunstamash Member

Nice!

I've got a classic white version (photo from the website where I got it).

I did some work on the nut and that helped a lot with the tuning. Might put a roller bridge on in the future. As for the richlite board, I got over it as soon as I plugged in and hit the first chord. The guitar sounds awesome.

Even though a barely use the Bigsby, I can't resist the looks of a guitar with one.

Attached Files:

61LPSG likes this.
  19. afjungemann

I was sooooo close to going with the white 355 because i think that is the sexiest thing out there. It just came down to price for me but you have a dream guitar of mine. I would love to see some real photos.