NGD - Ernie Ball Music Man Valentine

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by cybermgk, Jul 6, 2017.

1. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Output hang-on. Without pulling them, I can get a rough idea. That said, there is both the 5-20db boost circuit, and the Split coil compensation boost for the neck.

Niloy63 likes this.
  2. cybermgk

K, testing from the jack yields 9.92 on the Single Coil Bridge, and 9.62 on the HB Neck. When split on the Neck, it stays similar. SO, given that the neck goes through a boost, when split to allow for similar output split or HB AND all the pups go through the circuit board, who knows.

Niloy63 likes this.
  3. cybermgk

There IS the Korean made Sterling line version for $600 street.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NC04N52/?tag=mylespaul04-20

http://www.sterlingbymusicman.com/valentine

Differences are, it's made in Korea not USA. Has Asian locking tuners, a 'designed by' type pickups, 12db boost instead of 5-20 adjustable, Swamp Ash instead of Ash, cheaper made Bridge, a 12" radius instead of the 10" on the US model, and it only comes in the Trans Buttermilk

Victek likes this.
  4. Victek

Victek Senior Member

5. Niloy63

Niloy63 Senior Member

Wow... thanks for making the effort of getting the information for me! Much appreciated. That boost sounds so helpful for splitting coils. And I like that they have relatively mild output. In most cases, mild pickup output makes it much easier to craft your sound. But then again, some of my favorite pickups add a bunch of nuance. Oh hell!:facepalm: I'm back where I started with... "it depends." The quest for tone will kill me some day... and my wallet, to boot.

What amp are you playing her out of?

6. cybermgk

Kemper Profiling amp and Axe FX II, so Marshall JCM800, Plex, JTM45, Matchless, Several Fenders, A Mesa, a Dr Z and a couple of Friedmans......

mmd likes this.
  7. Lloyd_m

Lloyd_m Senior Member

HNGD!!!

You got it for 1100$?! The prices these are selling for in Europe are insane. I got one a couple of weeks ago (trans black) but had to sell some other guitars to make my wallet feel a little bit better :D. I wanted to start with the Sterling version, but these are selling for 1000€ here (yes, more than what you paid for the EBMM version, and way too much for what they are IMO. I'd figure at that price for the Sterling, I'd just go with the EBMM, that and they don't make them in black).

The second review video you posted is the one that triggered my GAS (damn lunchbreaks...).

Hadn't take a look a the pickup cavity, thanks for the pics :)

My fav features are the neck (it just feels perfect to me), and the boost which is really effective (I find the split a little meh, but that's just me). The guitar sounds amazing indeed.

cybermgk likes this.
  8. cybermgk

Try using the little trim pot in cavity marked next to it P/U COMP. It adjusts the Neck pickup output WHEN split. You might find a level tone you like. Trim pot above it is the Boost adjustment.

Lloyd_m likes this.
  9. Lloyd_m

Lloyd_m Senior Member

I knew about the boost adjustment but didn't know about the split one, thanks for the tip!

10. cybermgk

It's right below the boost one.

11. Lloyd_m

Lloyd_m Senior Member

Ok, I've just adjusted the split and wow, what a difference! I got it just where I wanted, thanks again!

12. cybermgk

NP. I had the same feeling as you about the slit neck, until I adjusted that. I had a feeling you might find it useable :)

Lloyd_m likes this.