NGD epiphone sst studio

Discussion in 'Other Epiphones' started by rjshare, May 8, 2011.

1. rjshare

rjshare Senior Member

i and another member recently asked about these and no one seemed to have much experience with them, so, i figured at 250euros new i couldnt go wrong and bought one out of curiousity!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

so, whats the verdict?

looks great, sounds pretty good plugged in and will be a useful gigging tool i think. sound wise it is a perhaps a little bit hard edged but i guess that is probably a good thing as it is meant to be played plugged in on stage or in the studio and will need to cut through the mix. sustain is good but it is built like a chambered lp so not really surprising. very tidy pearl inlay headstock, gold grover tuners, shadow under sadle pickup, 2 way eq plus volume with switchample amp or headphone direct output. the neck is definately an acoustic style neck and the frets surprisingly small, which leads me on to the bad parts...

as you might or might not be able to see in the last couple of pics, the extended fretboard is finished really badly. it has been cut really roughly and then i think filled with something - in any case up close it is UGLY. worse still, the frets on this thing have got to be the worst finished frets i have ever seen! they have apparently been levelled but then never re-crowned. the tops of the frets are nearly all flat with file marks all over them. if you try and bend a string it "pings" as it slides across the surface of the fret. truly awful workmanship. i have built my own guitars in the past although i am far from being able to call myself a luthier of any description but it looks like i am going to have to get the masking tape and p2000 out this weekend!

conclusion? its cheap and has some very good attributes but the frets let it down badly. i wouldnt have taken this home from a shop in this condition but seeing as i bought it mail order (no choice unfortunately) i am going to sort the frets out and keep it because i think it will ultimately do a good job for its intended use ie feedback free strumming on stage in a band.

Hector Arcadius likes this.
  2. Hector Arcadius

Hector Arcadius Senior Member

Good review man, thanks for taking the time.

Congrats on the new guitar. Epiphone accoustics are certainly not ''the end to all accoustics'', but they're nice guitars for the money. Enjoy!

3. HOT-BRIT

HOT-BRIT V.I.P. Member

Looks like the Gibson Chet Atkins model that I have, sure it will be a good player after you do the fret work and get it set up

4. rjshare

rjshare Senior Member

thanks guys.

yes hb - i think it is basically an epi style re-hashing of the chet model without the added cost of an endorsement.

i couldnt decide whether to get this or just save the money for a decent pickup for my washburn super jumbo - trying to decide what pickup was a nightmare though so buying this was the simpler option!

pity about the sh*te fretwork, cant even blame the chinese though cos this one is from indonesia