NGD - Epiphone Masterbilt Century Zenith Classic

Discussion in 'Other Epiphones' started by rp1138, Nov 7, 2016.

1. rp1138

rp1138 Senior Member

Okay, I'm in love. I've been wanting a real archtop acoustic for like 30 years now. I could never afford one of the vintage ones, and up till now, pretty much all of the tiny handful of modern ones have been crappy, or expensive, or both.

So I just got this Epiphone beauty from Sweetwater. (This was my first purchase from Sweetwater, and I have to say their reputation for awesomeness is fully deserved.)

Instead of talking, here's some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the first time I've seen what the pickguard for the Zenith looks like. It hasn't been in any of the photos I've seen online I've had some question of whether it was bound or unbound. As far as I know, these are the first photos of it on the net. It doesn't come with the Epiphone E decal, I added that myself.

The guitar is very balanced sounding. I've heard some speculation that it might not be very loud acoustically, but it seems fully as loud as any acoustic I've owned. It's very well built, fit and finish are awesome. The neck is a VERY thick rounded C shape, similar to my 2013 Gibson Les Paul Trad Pro 50's neck, only with a little more girth to it. The thing I found most surprising is that the finish has a slightly bronze hue to it, which I wasn't expecting from the photos. But it's gorgeous. In general, most guitars come and go through my hands too quickly for me to be sure yet, but I suspect this one may be a keeper.

2. Mike's_LP

Mike's_LP Senior Member

WOW! Very nice, love the inlays... all of it. Hope you enjoy it for a long time.

3. tolm

tolm Bigsby Junkie Premium Member

Sweet! Been wanting to see one of those with the pickguard on as I felt they looked bare without it - and it looks great!

4. keith longstaff

keith longstaff Senior Member

Hngd. Looks really nice

5. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

That is so frickin nice!!!!!

6. Bend'n'Slide

Bend'n'Slide Senior Member

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread but...

That's a really nice looking guitar and I've been seriously considering one of these for a while now (probably the sunburst version if I can find one). Knowing myself, there's a good chance it would end up in open-E (or maybe open D if I was avoiding the extra neck tension) for playing acoustic slide.

I just wondered how you're getting on with the Zenith now you've had it for a year. Any thoughts?

Thanks!!
    :D