NGD Epiphone Les Paul Special w/P90's

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by Ronaldo, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Ronaldo

Ronaldo Senior Member

Looked hard for either a good price on a Gibson LP Jr. Or a Melodie Maker and even a Epi Jr. With a set neck. They're hard to find! And if you do locate one, expensive too!
    So after checking out forums and YT videos where everybody gave the LP Special 1 good reviews I said what do I have to lose right?
    Took delivery today of the Worn TV yellow version.
    It's certainly a nice looking little devil well balanced and the neck is awesome.f
    It came with a small ding above the rear strap button no biggie and it's really not so yellow like it shows in the ads. but I do like the thin paint treatment with grain showing.
    I expected a little more gain from the P90's they're rather clean sounding straight into my 68CDR.
    But with with a little hair from the OCD, it sounds great!
    Now the bad part.
    While changing out the most dullest ill feeling strings I ever played and cleaning and oiling the fret board, I tested the frets for level. Found it has 4 high frets one in the middle and the rest toward the bottom.
    Do you guys think that GC will level these frets for me, at no charge? Or will they order me another guitar.
    I'm taking it over to them in the morning.
    Pictures to follow (if all goes well)

2. Ronaldo

Ronaldo Senior Member

The answer was no they would not want to repair it but they would surely order me a new one.
    Hope the next one is a keeper.

3. Will de Beast

Will de Beast Member

Best wishes on finding your perfect Special 1 w/ P90s. They are great guitars, worth putting in a little effort to move them to 'awesome'. I wanted to keep my two black ones all stock, but finally had to break down and upgrade the tuners.

What speaker do you have in your 68CDR?

4. Ronaldo

Ronaldo Senior Member

I won't be shy about upgrading the Special if need be.
    Stock Celestion G12V-70 speaker.

Will de Beast likes this.
  5. Paully

Paully Senior Member

Hey guys,
    Don't want to butt into your conversation and I certainly don't want to hi-jack your thread.
    It's just that I've been looking for a while for someone who has swapped out the tuners on a Special 1.
    So I'd like to ask (if you don't mind.)
    Which tuners did you install?
    Were they drop in replacements?
    Thanx,
    Paully

6. scrumm21

scrumm21 Premium Member

Wilkinson Vintage Tulip Style 3x3. While Drop in replacements you will have to drill screw attachment holes (& Mark Your Drill Bit for Depth )

Attached Files:

7. scrumm21

scrumm21 Premium Member

You'll dig the Special I !

I upgraded the tuners, nut, and bridge..... it's a fun lil guitar
    20160426_205338.jpg ResizedPic.jpg

Will de Beast likes this.
  8. Paully

Paully Senior Member

Thanks for the response and the information. ;)

9. E1WOOD5150

E1WOOD5150 Purveyor of Joke Grenades

IMG_20160704_204017578.jpg

My wife bought this last year, for use as a birthday card for my 50th birthday (since this picture was taken, the guitar has been signed by about 20 people with birthday wishes for me). I hadnt played it "in anger" at all.

Big Mistake...

I spent some time getting it inonated on Wednesday. The B is still out, but everything else is really close. The guitar flat out rocks! I am used to a 50's style neck, so this took a little while to adapt to, but the guitar sounds great! I looked up the specs and found the pickups are alnico v magnets, and both the body and neck are mahogany. Its a keeper, and a player.

@scrumm21, what mods did you perform, and did you feel weird sinking a chunk of change into a $99 guitar? A Pigtail bridge alone is more than this guitar cost.

howardlo and Will de Beast like this.
  10. scrumm21

scrumm21 Premium Member

I reckon I used it as a guinea pig as I was a total newbie to the world of guitars 3 years ago...and I used it for trial run swapping parts... learning about adjusting neck & leveling\crowning frets...adjusting pickups. Tuners were $25 shipped.... Intonatable BadAss Style Bridge was $30 shipped, nut was $8 ( got the Special for $79 on black friday 2015 ) So yes ..in one respect i spent too much but it was fun... guitar stays in tune up the neck and I became confident to tweak my subsequent guitars.

E1WOOD5150 likes this.
  11. Will de Beast

Will de Beast Member

I put these Gotohs on mine ....
    http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and...toh_Keystone-style_3and3_Tuning_Machines.html
    You can use the similar Gotoh tuner that has different style knobs if you want.

I hand reamed out the holes from the back side of the headstock, using this tool...
    https://www.harborfreight.com/t-handle-reamer-66936.html
    I went slowly, kept the reamer perpendicular, took about 5 minutes per hole.
    I did not have to drill any new screw holes, as the new tuner lined up with one of the old ones.

Then I put on D'Addario Ballanced Tension Strings, and WOW! this baby now stays in tune for days.