NGD Epiphone Les Paul Special I P90

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by misterhatter6, Feb 27, 2018.

1. misterhatter6

misterhatter6 Senior Member

Feels kinda dumb to post about a Special next to Customs and Standards and such. But I went to GC today (mistake #1) and went looking for one of these in black (The red and TV yellow are both really ugly IMO) I found one immediately and went to plug it in, and some old-timer with a cane (God bless him) convinced me to plug into a Friedman Runt (which is now on my list of must-have gear) and it sounded great. So I decided to buy. These guitars are $150 brand new, and the GC employee goes to the back to get me one in the box, and without a second thought, I said ok (mistake #2) so I ask about any deals, and he goes to talk to his manager, comes back, and happily informs me that he knocked the tax off it, so it comes to $150 even. I think I could've gotten it cheaper (and still had gas money) if I had insisted on the floor model, but I'm happy with it either way.

BTW I'd post pics, but I can't log onto my email from this device to retrieve them. Nothing to really see anyway. Just a bone stock LP Special I with P90s in flat black.

penguinchit and paruwi like this.
  2. howardlo

howardlo Senior Member

Nice guitars and fun to play. The Epi P-90's sound great.

I have the 'ugly' yellow and an 'ugly' red HB one. My first Special was a black P-90, but sold it because I really don't like black guitars.

misterhatter6 likes this.
  3. teleman55

teleman55 Member

You a lucky man. Wish they made that lefty. Enjoy.

4. 07rogersg

07rogersg Senior Member

blasphemy!

Anywho the p90 specials are probably my favorite lower range Epiphone so you made a great decision.

5. misterhatter6

Nothin wrong with that, it's just opinions :hippie: I'm just not into TV yellow and flat red. But yeah, the guitar plays great, and that's without my usual setup. I've never had a guitar with p90s before and I have to say, I'm considering putting them in other guitars now.

Bob E and howardlo like this.
  6. penguinchit

penguinchit Senior Member

Great guitar! I had one of the 2014 Melody Makers that had the P90s and I actually preferred the Epi P90s in the Special I.

howardlo and misterhatter6 like this.
  7. misterhatter6

I'm planning on doing a couple of mods to it. I'd like to put a badass style bridge from Guitarfetish on there so I can intonate for lower tunings, and I really want a Bigsby (or cheap version of one) for a little vibrato now and then. Of course it needs some better tuners (the ones that are on it are trash) and a graphite or brass nut would be lovely. And this is just an idea I've been kicking around, but I'd like to sand off the logo on the headstock and find an Epiphone logo badge and put that on. Thoughts?

8. gsmacleod

gsmacleod Senior Member

I've always wanted one of the set necks (preferably TV yellow) with P90's. They're great looking guitars and the couple I've played have been lots of fun.

HNGD!

Shane

9. misterhatter6

Does it have to be Gibson/Epiphone? There's an SX version in TV Yellow on Reverb for not much. Maybe that would help?

Also, does anyone know where I can get a pickguard for this guitar? I've seen people make them that look both like the Gibson Special, and the Standard LP style...I'd prefer the Special style

gsmacleod likes this.
  10. gsmacleod

gsmacleod Senior Member

Certainly doesn't have to be but as I just brought home a '55 Custom, I'm pretty sure I should wait a while before I try to bring another guitar into the house.

Thanks though!

Shane

11. Ronaldo

Ronaldo Senior Member

I don’t think your dumb? I think we’re brilliant for having the insight to chose this little P90 Gem!
    Im going to say this and you will think I’m crazy, but it is my favorite Guitar to play! I love those P90’s in all positions with dirt and without. They’re fun!
    I swear I play better on this guitar lol!
    Don’t know if you like this pickguard, but I got it from a dude on eBay that makes them.
    Have fun with it.

01EBC23A-D809-4527-925C-C173B516A24E.jpeg

howardlo and misterhatter6 like this.
  12. misterhatter6

I like it! Would it take the hardware to attach it to the side? Or would that be a carved top thing? Also, I like the tuning pegs on yours. Would those fit into the standard peg holes, or would I need to drill them out?

13. Ronaldo

Ronaldo Senior Member

It screws flat to the top.
    I had to ream out the peg holes to get the new tuners to fit. It was not difficult.

Attached Files:

14. misterhatter6

Nice! About how much are the pickguards?

15. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Old School Premium Member

Sweet deal! Congratulations and happy NGD :)

16. misterhatter6

0226181625.jpg 0226181626.jpg

Just gonna leave these here...

17. scozz

scozz Senior Member

I’ve always wanted to play one of those.

18. syrinx

syrinx Senior Member

I picked up a special 2 at a pawn shop because it was super resonant and had a great neck. I jammed with it a few nights later and the pickups were great. Tuners are ok, in my case- but likely should be switched out. The pots havent been an issue- but the switches on these are notoriously bad and mine failed as expected. All and all a super light guitar that sounds great and plays well. Does it compare to my les paul that was 50x more expensive?-nope- But the fun it is to play is well past the price point.

howardlo likes this.
  19. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Member

I bought one a while ago and thought it sounded GREAT. The pups were the only thing on the guitar I liked.

Unfortunately, the build quality was abysmal so I returned it. I didn't have the willpower to try a second time.