NGD: Epiphone Les Paul Signature Goldtop

Discussion in 'Other Epiphones' started by stilwel, Jun 20, 2017.

1. stilwel

stilwel Member

I've been curious about these for ages. Finally found one at a silly good price. I had to jump on it mostly out of curiosity. I understand these were made in the late 90's in the same Peerless factory as the Rivieras that I love so much. I believe it also has the narrow 1.68" nut width as my Peerless Riv.

Unfortunately it looks like it's missing all 3 of the switch rings (??)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
    Benjammin, 61LPSG, Who and 1 other person like this.
  2. DarrellV

DarrellV 1 Year old and 8K this month or bust! Premium Member

Yeah, that would help you know what the controls do! :facepalm:

Here's a pic of one with the rings. You may be able to source them, but at least you'll know what the rings said from OEM!

Looks great! Enjoy! :cheers:

[​IMG]

3. stilwel

stilwel Member

Yep, I'm already on top of that. :)

I recall Michael Ward playing these (70's Gibson version) when he was in The Wallflowers back in the mid/late 90's.
    (M.W. was also the guitarist in the band School of Fish from the late 80's/early 90's)

Here's an interesting article that was recently on Reverb.com.
    https://reverb.com/news/reverb-experts-the-les-paul-signature

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  4. Walt_T

Walt_T Senior Member

Sweetness!

5. kiko

kiko Senior Member

Quite a unique guitar!:applause:

6. Victek

Victek Senior Member

I've not seen one of these before; very cool looking guitar :yesway: How does it play and sound?

HNGD!

7. stilwel

stilwel Member

I got the guitar yesterday morning. It arrived very clean, but had a set of 12's on it which made it feel way too stiff. Had a couple really nasty fret buzz issues. Initially I thought it had some high frets. Got it home last night, set it up with 11-49's, adjusted the TR, reset the bridge to an appropriate height and intonated it.

Killer. Plays great. Has good bones, but the cheap Kluson knock off tuners have to go. Otherwise this is a really solid guitar.

My only real complaint is the neck profile. Since it was made in late 90's I was assuming it would have the same narrow neck as my Peerless Riviera. It's certainly wider than that, more similar to the 2007 ES-345 I recently sold.

I was surprised by how it’s put together. The neck is inset into the body like an ES-330. The neck joins the body at the 16th fret. My Riviera and 335 join at the 19th fret. I should have known by simply looking at it, but I noticed it immediately when I picked it up. It makes the guitar seem much more compact…like a LP. I was expecting it to feel long like a 335. Not a bad thing, just an observation.

I was also surprised by the weight. It’s got a very small center-block right under the bridge and stoptail. It’s weighted more like a fully hollowbody and resonates like one. I kinda miss the extra weight.

Pickups are very unique for sure. Not humbuckers. Not P90’s. They are their own thing. The impedance switch works similar (in tonality) to a Varitone. Reduces level and low-end. Fat and loud on one extreme to thin and much lower output at the other. Out of phase position sounds as expected with both pickups on.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  8. stilwel

stilwel Member

It just occurred to me that I put this thread in the wrong forum. It's an Epi Les Paul and I put it in Other Epiphones.
    It's certainly unlike most LP's.

oh well.

9. Victek

Victek Senior Member

So you replaced the 12s with new 12s or did you mean a lighter gauge? I wondered about the pickups too. It would be interesting to know how they're constructed. The neck joining at the 16th fret isn't a problem if you don't need to play "up top" much. I like having the extra access of the ES335 types that join at the 19th, but whatever. I used to have an ES345 with a Varitone so I know what that's about. I never found it especially useful, but it never hurt anything either :)

10. stilwel

stilwel Member

Doh!

I meant to say 11's. :)

Fixed.

11. stilwel

stilwel Member

Gibson Deluxe Tuners en route...

12. stilwel

stilwel Member

Got some brand new take-off Gibson Deluxe tuners today.
    These feel way better than the stock OEM Schaller tuners that came on it.

[​IMG]

Who, Bud Stoner and Victek like this.
  13. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

That is a really cool piece! Congrats!

14. Victek

Victek Senior Member

Nice tuners :) Have you been able to find the specs on the guitar? I can't reach the Unofficial Epiphone Wiki site :hmm:

15. stilwel

stilwel Member

Victek likes this.
  16. Victek

Victek Senior Member

17. stilwel

stilwel Member

Low-Impedance pickups

The 2 chicken head knobs are actually for rotary switches, not pots. The front one is a 3-way switch to select between 3 different output impedances (50, 250 and 500 ohms). There's actually a little multi-tap transformer in there. To my ears it behaves very similar to a Varitone (but without the extra weight). You get loud and full-range at one end and thin and lower volume at the other. The other is a Phase switch (In or Out of phase)for when both pickups are selected.

This Epi is based on a fairly rare Gibson guitar made with Les' input in the early 70's. It was available in Gold and a weird sunburst. The Epi was available in gold, burst as well as black.

Here's a really informative article that was recently posted on Reverb.com.
    https://reverb.com/news/reverb-experts-the-les-paul-signature

18. Victek

Victek Senior Member

19. stilwel

stilwel Member

Another really cool video of a LP Sig in action with someone you'll all recognize.

20. Victek

Victek Senior Member

Well, Robert Plant of course, but no one else. Cool arrangement of Whole Lotta Love, and the first time I've heard it done without Jimmy Page's signature solo riff :) The guitar looks and sounds great. :thumb:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
    stilwel likes this.