NGD: Epiphone Les Paul Junior 57' Reissue

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by 99_Revolutions, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Al Walker

Al Walker Senior Member

"Part of me wished I got the tv yellow, but with the work already put into it, makes me think it'll hang around for a while."

Actually I wanted the sunburst or cherry, But, the TV came up and I traded a nice MIM Tele for it. The 57 Reissue played and sounded better (after the mods) then my 2014 Studio Plus. I sold the Studio. Bought a 2016 60s Tribute. It had P90s. The Reissue actually played better then the Tribute, too.

2. 99_Revolutions

99_Revolutions Senior Member

Thanks man! and yes they do!
    Bingo. Plays better than any Gibson Les Paul Junior I've ever played (BJA, VOS, Satin, etc...)

3. 99_Revolutions

Got the button tuners installed! Closest to a real 57 I'll have for a long time!
    [​IMG]

4. moreles

moreles Senior Member

There are a lot of crap plywood/veneer Juniors out there, but there's no substitute for the basic mahogany plank and neck, so congrats on getting a really solid, legit piece. That's not a cherry sunburst, even if it has some red. If you're lucky, the black is sometimes translucent and quite beautiful. Good luck on finding a P90 you like. Some Gibsons are good, but not the 100 (IMO). I actually prefer a non-P90 in a junior, and run a Mojotone gold foil in mine, which gives a tone I love and keeps me from sounding like just another dude w/ a screaming Junior. (I think P90s all sound too much the same.) I love SD pickups, and Antiquities are great. I had a Lollar in mine for a while, and it was good but not for me.

5. 99_Revolutions

The only black is on the headstock. The body and neck finish is a dark cherry.

6. 99_Revolutions

Here's a pic next to my MIK Squire named "K".
    [​IMG]
    I have a SD Antiquity on order. Should hopefully be here monday!

7. fry

fry Senior Member

Great guitar. Epiphone didn't make them very long, and they don't pop up very often. I bought the yellow when they came out, ended up not keeping it, and regret letting it go. I was at a Sam Ash one day, saw a sunburst hanging there with a great price. I was gonna jump on it, then I looked it over. Someone had really beaten the hell out of it, it was pretty bad. The fretboard was even separating from the neck, not worth even the low price they had on it. Better hang on to that one, it's a beauty.

8. 99_Revolutions

I am! The SD Anti came in today and completely changed the tone of this guitar. I was debating getting a Les Paul Standard for thicker tones, but that pickup nails anything from old AC/DC and Zep to Alice in Chains and Green Day! It's crazy good!

Once the mojotone pickup spacers come in, I'll post final pics and a clip or 2!

northernguitarguy likes this.
  9. 99_Revolutions

Well here she is in her final state(until i give her a nitro refin:))

Playing was super sloppy. Once I get a decent mic and interface, I'll definitely get some better clips.

needlespauls likes this.
  10. needlespauls

needlespauls V.I.P. Member

Oh mannn. One of the ones that got away....
    I remember back in 06ish music123 and musicians friend were blowing out these juniors and Birdseye top classics for like $225-250 new, and it took them forever to sell them. I was broke as a joke back then and couldn’t pull the trigger :(. I always knew those Jr’s were great guitars. Now they’re worth more used and you can’t find em! Good find and great upgrades man!

northernguitarguy likes this.
  11. 99_Revolutions

Thanks man! She sure is sweet.

needlespauls likes this.
  12. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Senior Member

Congrats! I had one of these for awhile, prior owner had modded w/SD Antiquity P-90 and intonatable bridge.

Nice guitar, but I've come to the conclusion that single-pickup guitars don't work as well for me. Obviously not a problem for you (OP).

[​IMG]

A friend mentioned he was selling his Gibby LP Special doublecut, so the Junior went to help finance that.

13. 99_Revolutions

Yeah I only really use bridge pickups! My strat has the bridge hb hardwired to volume then jack. I think it's less of a hassle to mess with knobs and controls vs just pluging in, turning up, and having fun playing music.

Brian Krashpad likes this.