NGD: Epi Firebird VII '99

Discussion in 'Other Epiphones' started by lesuedois, Feb 13, 2017.

1. lesuedois

lesuedois Junior Member

Hi all,
    NGD yesterday, got hold of a Epi Firebird VII antique ivory from '99 (Unsung factory). Apart from a small dent at the headstock that somebody tried to repair with what looks like spackel or chemical wood, she is more or less minty.

[​IMG]

Does anyone know the color code for Epi's antique ivory color? Thinking of doing some trial fixes on the headstock dent.

Anyway - what surprises me is the quality of the pickups. I've got a Gibson FB V as well (2014) in which I put Mojotone's Johnny Winter pups -- the Epi stock ones aren't too far behind IMO. Different, but both with a lot of character.

She's pretty on the outside, what about the inside? Well...

[​IMG]

That's about the worst I've ever seen. Strangely it all works and it's totally hum free, the wiring (with a stock epi three-pos switch) is: up = neck and middle, center = all three, down = middle and bridge. Is that stock wiring for VIIs or have some previous owner changed that? (Also note how somebody had a short-post output jack and decided to carve away some wood to solve the problem... yikes.)

I also found what I suppose is treble bleeds on the three volume pots. Has anyone seen these before? This is not stock right? (Barely noticeable blue blob lying on the lugs).

[​IMG]

I guess I gotta redo the wiring at some point and repair the carved-away wood in the cavity. Don't think I can sleep knowing about this... I tried to see what cap is used for the tone, but so many wires in the way its impossible to see... :wow:

Anyway - here's my mod/improvement plan:
    • new nut (thinking Tusq XL 6010 00, would that be ok?)
    • fix dent in headstock (if I can find the color code)
    • maybe new gold roller bridge (what's the best option for metric/epi posts?)
    • get CTS TVT pots, a Dijon cap and some vintage wire and rewire everything (and not forget to use treble bleeds if thats whats actually on here, because I dont want to change the sound). If somebody can point me to a wiring scheme for the setup, I'd be deeply grateful (up = neck and middle, center = all three, down = middle and bridge). I'm not gonna try to reverse engineer the given solution... :D

Sound about right?

Family Man likes this.
  2. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

Congrats on a 'rare bird'

:applause::applause:

3. charlie chitlins

charlie chitlins Senior Member

Atsa nice-a spaghetti! Some creative wiring there. Hard to imagine no 1 pickup only switch positions. My old FBIII is bridge/bridge-middle/neck. I changed the middle position to neck-middle. Much fatter...but that's with P90s.
    Cool geetar. I'm a sucker for the flash of 3-pickup models. I still kinda miss the traditional neck/bridge sound, though.

4. Slick

Slick Senior Member

Very nice, congrats :thumb:

5. Family Man

Family Man Senior Member

That's flippin awesome. Congrats.

6. lesuedois

lesuedois Junior Member

Right, well in this setup the middle pickup can always be taken out, but only by turning the pot to 0. I guess one thing to think about is whether it would be good to have a no-load pot for the middle pup volume.

When you rewired your FBIII Charlie, did you use a particular schematic? I am still on the lookout for a good rewiring scheme (that doesn't use push/pull pots)...

And, has anyone seen the blue blob thingies that I have on the volume pots before (see pic above)? I am wondering what they are, beginning to suspect they may not be treble bleeds.

7. TM1

TM1 Senior Member

At's nice!! I had a 2004 Epi FB VII. I installed a set of real reflector knobs, Banjo-type Kluson tuners and a set of Duncan Antiqutys mini's... oh and a real Gibson TRC.. I had it for a while until I came across a 2004 Gibson Firebird VII in Copper Mist. The Epiphone was near the quality of the Gibson. The Gibson has an Ebony fingerboard. The Epi is a rosewood board.

8. Lwilliams

Lwilliams Senior Member

Were the banjo tuners an "easy" install over the mini Grovers?