NGD Epi ES 339

Discussion in 'Other Epiphones' started by dsmcl77, Feb 10, 2017.

1. dsmcl77

dsmcl77 Senior Member

I never owned a semi hollow body, and I also never had an Epiphone before.

I never liked the Epiphone headstock (and we all know the tonez come from the headstock), but on a semi-hollow or hollow body they look OK to me.

So with the sale going on I went for an Epiphone DOT ES 339 PRO in cherry.

[​IMG]

I am surpised how good this guitar is, especially considering the ridiculous price.

When I tried her, the action was far to high, but the neck being straight and the frets leveled (good job China man... or probably more... China fret machine tool...). Once at home, I could make it as low as I like it with no buzz anywhere on the fretboard.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not the best pics ever... :D

The guitar plays well, the pups, that I thought I would have to change sound close to the Gibby classic 57's I tried on a friend's LP.
    They could be a bit more balanced between them and the bridge pup a little on the bright side, but nothing that can be managed with very little tweaks of the volume and tone knobs.
    The push-pull's gives a bit more versatillity but being a humbucking kind of guy, I do not care that much about it, but I guess that could be an advantage on certain "live" situation.
    So I am saving a bit of money for now. :thumb:

I thought that being a semi-hollow body, there would be more sound when played unplugged, my Edwards E-LP sound louder than that, but, my Gibby LP and SG sound quieter.

As I said, frets are well levelled, and on each side, if not on par with some other guitar I have with no nibs, the finish is good and you won't hurt yourself and it won't catch any thread of a cloth when cleaning it.

The neck feels great, bigger than my '93 LP 60's slim (whatever) neck and reminded my staight away of my SG, only a bit bigger and kind of a squarish feeling close to the headstock and near the heel, but not a bad feeling I must say.

The white neck binding look really plastic, but so exactlly does the white binding on my Gibson SG classic... Bot doesn't have the "cachet" of the creamy binding of my LP standard.

I don't know what kind of stings they put on, I guess they are 10's, but huh :eek: they feel like cheese cutter wire... Well, I don't really know how I can explain the feeling on my fingers, but :eek:, I put them over the tailpiece to set-up the strings hights properly, I put my trusty DM Blue Steel latter.

The plastic nut is a bit tight on the strings, but I'll see if it is better with my own set.
    If it need work, I just might change the nut altogether.

Attached Files:

2. dsmcl77

dsmcl77 Senior Member

The chinese Tom Murphy's did a great job on the lutherie paint.

Only could they have take the paint off the binding a little.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But I am really splitting hairs right now. And if I look again at my 2007 Gibson SG neck binding, it is no better.

I was surprised to see "mother of whatever" on the headstock for this kind of price range.

Nice...

[​IMG]

The Grover tuners looks OK too, we'll see in the long run, but I can't see why right now why I would need to change them.

[​IMG]

Talking of headstock, I had the sensation that it is neck diving a little, but I had a very soft wool jacket I never used while playing guitar, so...

Overall, a great instrument, well made, serious work from Epiphone China.
    Sounds good, feels good, looks good.

So a big :thumb:

I could never been happier with my first hollow adventure.

Attached Files:

3. shutterbiker

shutterbiker Member

Congratulations and HNGD!

4. Victek

Victek Senior Member

Very nice looking guitar :) Who has them on sale? The Epi ES 335s and 339 I've had came strung with 10s. I always change the strings to 9s right away as part of getting the guitar setup, so no binding in the nut.

HNGD :thumb:

5. Family Man

Family Man Senior Member

I had a 339 at one point. Wonderful guitars. Enjoy!

6. dsmcl77

dsmcl77 Senior Member

Thx! :thumb:

7. dsmcl77

dsmcl77 Senior Member

Thx! :)

I bought it in a local store that matched the internet sale price. I work with him often for festivals and expositions also so I can get deals like that, I always prefer to test the instruments first, even if I rarely had problems with internet (on used market).

I usually use 10s on 24.74", and now fitted with my Deam Markley, I feel at home, even if the tension feels different, for whatever reason, compared to my LPs. I might try 9s...

They say on the Epi w-site they fit them with 10s D'Addario, I'll ask the shop if they change the strings at some point...

8. airtechmech6

airtechmech6 Junior Member

I just got a beautiful Epi ES 339 Pro in vintage sunburst and I have been trying to set it up, trying to get the action down a bit but the neck came with no relief at all, completely straight, which is a testament to quality but I need a little relief in order to get the action down without fret buzzing. I loosened the truss rod but the neck did not change at all. Anyone have an idea how long a brand new neck like that takes to change?

9. Victek

Victek Senior Member

So, after you loosened the truss rod you tuned it up again and the action didn't change? :hmm:

10. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

Welcome to the club!
    A nice piece with great bang for the buck.

11. jc2000

jc2000 Senior Member

Congrats.. love the red.

12. airtechmech6

Yes, that is correct but I checked it today and it seems to have a little relief now. I'll wait till tonight and see. It's not bad but I would like to get the bass side a little lower if possible.

13. Victek

Victek Senior Member

Something you could try is checking the truss rod nut while the guitar is tuned up. If the nut is tight I would de-tune and back off the nut another 1/2 turn; then tune up again. By the way, what gauge strings are you using?

14. airtechmech6

Right now the rod is loose. I can tap the neck and hear it rattling in there. Seems kind of odd to me. Strings: 10-46

15. Victek

Victek Senior Member

Yeah, doesn't sound right. You might want to have a guitar tech in one of the shops have a look at it. :hmm:

16. TheWelder

TheWelder Senior Member

Happy NGD!! I have the same guitar and I'm very happy with it. I ordered mine last year around this time and I was lucky that mine did t have any notable issues. I do plan to change the PUPs at some point.

17. dsmcl77

dsmcl77 Senior Member

Thx :thumb: They are indeed, lots of fun for very little money.

I couldn't imagine any other color for this one, my first rythm and first solo was Chuck Berry's...

18. dsmcl77

dsmcl77 Senior Member

Eventually, I know I'll change the pups too. :)
    Probably with Manlius's Fat Diane or T Top replica. I'll wait until I played this 339 long enough...

19. dsmcl77

dsmcl77 Senior Member

I agree with Victek, go to a guitar tech or a luthier, he will sort it out in no time.

20. howardlo

howardlo Senior Member

Congrats! They are really nice guitars. I got mine a few years ago (in natural) and really like it. As do some of my buddies that I'be played guitar with since the 50''s ( who have houses full of high end guitars).

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017