NGD: Edwards E-LP 98 LTS Dark Cherry Sunburst

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by GuitarRUSH, Feb 25, 2016.

1. GuitarRUSH

GuitarRUSH Senior Member

Got this one in yesterday.

My thoughts:

- Seller described conditions as "VG+++". Which, of course, was a joke. The pics thankfully told a different story. A lot of scratches and a couple of dents. Nothing major though.

- Seller described neck profile as "a little fat". Nope. Thin! Thinner than the Tokai LS98Q I had a few weeks ago, which was a slimmer '59. I'd say this is a slim-taper 60's Gibson profile in similarity.

- Never ordering a guitar without a hardshell case again. The gig bag is thin as paper and the packaging for the shipment was a little lacking. Scary to think this thing traversed across the Pacific and cross-country to get here to me in South Carolina!

- The guitar sounds fantastic! The Seymour Duncans in this is great. I really like the neck humbucker (SD 59?) especially.

- Body is light. But despite the weight and neck profile, the sustain on this guitar is great!

- Not a fan of the dark cherry sunburst in person. I like my sunburst finishes a little lighter.

For what I paid for it, it's an awesome guitar. Not one I'll be keeping, but I certainly wish I had known about these during my broke-as-heck Epiphone days! Blows them out of the water.

I will say though, in terms of quality, look, and feel, Tokai's are a better product. To me, the Edwards is more like a "Les Paul copy" than a "Les Paul". Tokai's just look/feel the most similar to a real Gibson, IMHO.

Some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  2. Robbks

Robbks Senior Member

Can you measure the neck thickness at the 1st and 12th fret

3. GuitarRUSH

GuitarRUSH Senior Member

Don't have any measuring tape on me. Sorry!

4. GammyBird

GammyBird Senior Member

Nice looking guitar. Too bad about the issues you have with it.

That's the downside of buying without playing I guess.

At least the buyer who you sell it to will know the full skinny on it.

1 person likes this.
  5. dmoss74

dmoss74 Senior Member

i got an edwards from a japanese dealer, and could only take their word on the description. it was brand new, so dings weren't an issue. the neck description was "maybe a little thicker than '60".

not true. it's thinner, more like an epi. that's fine with me, i don't like fat necks anyway. the guitar is very well made, and i play it a lot. mine is the '56 gold top model. i swapped out the duncan p90s, for some zhangbucker p90s. the duncans were fine, but the swap was more beneficial to me.

enjoy it. if you got a great deal, you did fine.

1 person likes this.
  6. GuitarRUSH

GuitarRUSH Senior Member

If it had a fatter neck, I would enjoy it. It's still a great guitar, just not for me.

1 person likes this.
  7. GuitarRUSH

GuitarRUSH Senior Member

This one has grown on me. While the neck profile isn't my cup of tea, and the cherry sunburst finish is too dark for my tastes, the sound I get out of it is amazing! For what I paid for it ($500), it's a freakin' bargain.

I have it for sale, but I'm strongly reconsidering keeping it. If this thing had a fat R8 neck on it, it'd never leave my side.

8. ch4os82

ch4os82 Junior Member

I have a 2010 Edwards elp 98lts in vintage honeyburst. Measured with a digitalcaliper;

Nut width: 1.725"
    1st fret: 0.860"
    12th fret: 0.982"