NGD: eBay guitar not as it seems

Discussion in 'eBay Deals' started by freddairy, Apr 24, 2013.

1. freddairy

freddairy Senior Member

You've obviously missed my point in the quotations. The claiming it's scary he's a vendor actually had nothing to do with him expressing opinions regarding the state of the guitar I purchased.

2. CheopisIV

CheopisIV Copper Slinger MLP Vendor

Isn't that what a good troll thread is all about? Misinterpretations and playing on it to keep it going? Chalk full! :thumb:

3. smorgdonkey

smorgdonkey Senior Member

The point being a vendor who sells guitars doesn't seem to know how to describe them.

Just because it says 'player' that doesn't change the meaning of the rest of the words in the dictionary. I really didn't want to say the phrase one more time but "no cosmetic damage" has only one meaning.

Not a troll thread...but an eye opening one. There are conotations and denotations when it comes to language and some people can't tell the difference.

3 people like this.
  4. Who

Who Who is not here. Please leave a message.... Premium Member

Does "no cosmetic damage" mean that there are no changes to the appearance of something since it was first purchased?

A) Yes
    B) Not if it is a "used" item.

If you chose "A", congratulations. You understand the English language.

If you chose "B", you are the ideal buyer of used goods, and should not be allowed to sell used goods.

1 person likes this.
  5. Actinic

Actinic Senior Member

The listing started at $1500. At that price, the guitar was a great deal. Beyond that, it's a case of Caveat Emptor, or Buyer Beware. The buyer of the guitar overbid by his standards. Don't get carried away in the future. There are hundreds of guitars available, and by reading enough listings, you can tell which sellers exaggerate, and which ones tell the truth. If Ebay does not find in favor of the buyer, then he has the option of leaving a negative review. The seller will be sorry for that, not now, but in the next year. In fact, now that he has been outed, I won't be buying from him either.

6. dangerdog

dangerdog Senior Member

Don't worry. Even though you two (donkey and OP) didn't meet my earlier challenge to tell me your ebay names I found them a few days ago and you are both already on my blocked list.

I will say it again: if you, as an experienced ebayer, buy a supposed 6 year old used guitar, from an obvious amateur, described as a player with "little to no fret wear" and then are surprised when you get a guitar that is not mint you are being foolish. Considering the context, only a fool wouldn't realize that maybe, just maybe, the seller's idea of "cosmetic damage" might be different from their own. And trying to make a big deal out of getting a newer model when you had no idea how to tell them apart anyway?!?:rofl: <---Hilarious.

BTW You don't really scare me too much with the "oh look at this bad vendor expressing his wrong opinion!" routine. I have paid my dues and am entitled to an opinion. That being: the OP is whiny baby who is trying to make a huge issue out of what should be a much, much smaller one. I will just have to hope that my ebay listings and feedback speak for themselves AND that the only potential customers I scare away will buy from my competition instead. :naughty:

1 person likes this.
  7. freddairy

freddairy Senior Member

We aren't dealing with a difference between mine or the seller's idea of "cosmetic damage." We are dealing with an issue where a seller listed an item as having "no" cosmetic damage. Most buyers would be upset when goods aren't described as is.

I do like how you've been able to make this about yourself as an eBay seller though. You've spoken your piece and stated your opinion. Was the last paragraph about yourself necessary? :applause:

8. dangerdog

dangerdog Senior Member

If you'd read what I was quoting and remembered your earlier posts where YOU were the one making it about me:

1)
    and
    2)
    then you might realize why I was talking about myself.

It is all about context...and not being a dumbass...you fail to grasp both of those....again.

9. CheopisIV

CheopisIV Copper Slinger MLP Vendor

The best way to kill a Troll thread is to starve it so I'm out.

@freddairy. It's obvious that you are not happy and are already going through the proper eBay steps so whats the point of this thread living on except to stir up ire?

You asked for opinions and you got them. If you were trying to stir up a lynch mob over this then I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. The wrong year being listed should be all that they need to call it 'Not as described'. Everyone's opinion on the wear/not wear/buckle rash/not buckle rash/Svirfneblin in the control cavity/no Svirfneblin is fairly irrelevant at this point. Whether its buyers remorse or a justified return, that's for eBay to decide.

Good luck; I'd actually be surprised if they decide against you, but I guess that's all dependent on how you presented your case. :wave:

1 person likes this.
  10. smorgdonkey

smorgdonkey Senior Member

My eBay name is my screen name. I didn't 'meet your challenge' because you aren't a challenge...furthermore, I wouldn't buy from you so you don't have to ban me. Now, do you need me to explain that to you and will it take as many times as explaining "no cosmetic damage" with no success?

meestursparkle neeglects to leearn proper ways to deescribe geetars

1 person likes this.
  11. Justinreagin

Justinreagin Senior Member

Here we go folks.... a SHINING example of the downfall of customer service from sellers/merchants. People act as if they are doing you a huge favor by selling to you. Wrong answer. Hey, smart guy... you do realize this is a board that caters to a potentially unlimited number of the direct clientele that buy what it sounds like you sell, yet you come across as being a complete condescending, self righteous prick... all over a transaction that you had NOTHING to do with? Bad news. Tell you what... add my ID to your block list too. Nomoretears2k. I sure as hell want nothing to do with any kind of business you deal in with an attitude like that. Nothing wrong with expressing an opinion, or disagreeing, but your attitude and presentation sucks (and this is coming from one who isn't into being politically correct). You'd be upset too if it was your cash for something that you felt was falsely represented.

8 people like this.
  12. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Senior Member

There is a lot of anger in this thread. Time out, guys. Chill out a little.

I would like to read about ebay's resolution of this matter. Would OP please update this thread on outcome, whether for him or against him? Thank you.

13. freddairy

freddairy Senior Member

I will. eBay must really be going over this one as to I haven't heard a response yet.

14. Ed B

Ed B Senior Member

I think all in all the seller made the mistake by not being more specific. I try not to leave anything up to interpretation when I sell something on eBay. I go in the opposite direction in most cases. I'll say "it's dinged a bit" when it isn't. I want the buyer to feel that they've gotten more than they expected.

This guy should have just refunded you your money. If you aren't happy for any reason a respectable seller would take back the item. This type of situation sucks for everyone.

Good luck!!

15. Ambrola

Ambrola Senior Member

I agree. Personally, I wouldn't want to sale the OP a used guitar. I see nothing wrong or misrepresented with that guitar.

1 person likes this.
  16. jppage25

jppage25 Senior Member

I think this whole thing comes from inexperience on both parts. The wrong year is grounds for a return regardless what anyone thinks and I'm sure it was an accident but it still appears to be a big point with the buyer. I think the seller was unprepared for the reaction he received and acted with shock and a bit of anger before thinking. I don't think he is trying to be a bad seller just inexperienced and in the future will list in more detail. On the buyers side yes some of the things he is concerned about would not be an issue with me (hell i would love to have that guitar) It is an issue with him and it's possible the whole wrong year made him pick apart the whole listing. If i were the seller i would just have asked for the guitar to be returned do a refund and re list it more accurately just to avoid the hassle. I'm hoping that something can be learned from this thread for ebay sales and buying because i see this as an inexperienced seller and buyer but the saying goes the customer is always right. I still think listed correctly it is a kick ass guitar and that's my 2 cents.

17. HRC

HRC Senior Member

One I'll make sure not to buy from.

3 people like this.
  18. Macs69

Macs69 Senior Member

I agree.

DangerDog, thanks for sharing your thoughts, and what you define as "buckle rash". I wouldn't buy from you on a bet.

The money that we pay for these guitars is arguably ridiculous. It is less than forthcoming to say that a guitar has no buckle rash, unless a 4" x 6" swath of laquer is missing, along with chunks of wood.

2 people like this.
  19. Macs69

Macs69 Senior Member

Surprise, surprise....

20. jppage25

jppage25 Senior Member

Did his case ever settle?