NGD: eBay guitar not as it seems

Discussion in 'eBay Deals' started by freddairy, Apr 24, 2013.

1. freddairy

freddairy Senior Member

I just received a Les Paul R7 I won on eBay. The seller said it was a 2007 model. The serial # checks out to be a 2000. He also said the frets were excellent and they are really pited in the first few frets. Also in his listing he stated, no cosmetic damage, excellent set-up. I know set up is arguable, but the strings are rusty and the truss rod is in need of a tweaking. But he said, "no cosmetic damage." The back of the guitar is riddled with buckle rash.

Problem is he had a no return as part of his listing. I know eBay offers some sort of protection. Do you think I'm covered? I've never had such a crappy deal on a guitar.

1 person likes this.
  2. SixAngryStrings

SixAngryStrings SeƱor Member Premium Member

How much did you pay for it?

3. Fiat Lux

Fiat Lux Senior Member

Hopefully you PayPalled. I'd seek restitution through PayPal.

Cheers

4. Peeker

Peeker Senior Member

f*ck that guy, go after him.
    bucklerash IS IS IS cosmetic damage.
    he lied

/end

7 people like this.
  5. PNB92

PNB92 Senior Member

paypal has your back. Stories like this are the reason I'm so cautious around ebay. I never buy guitars off ebay, but I've bought watches, and i'm always nervous

2 people like this.
  6. Peeker

Peeker Senior Member

I would NEVER buy a guitar I"d not played in person

7 people like this.
  7. Kalamazuu

Kalamazuu Senior Member

You should be covered, me thinks.
    Do watcha can, and, any pics?

1 person likes this.
  8. jppage25

jppage25 Senior Member

You should be covered under ebay buyer protection the only thing is you will need to pay for return shipping.

1 person likes this.
  9. Leendrix

Leendrix The Cheeky One V.I.P. Member

Send it back.

1 person likes this.
  10. Jakeislove

Jakeislove Senior Member

He misrepresented the item. I'd grieve it through paypal if he/she didn't make things right immediately.

2 people like this.
  11. Semitone

Semitone Senior Member

eBay/Paypal has great buyer protection. If it "isn't as described", you just send it back and eBay will make sure you get your money returned. Start the process by filing a claim and following the instructions. Don't even think about it, just do it now. Most eBay sellers are honest in my experience but every once in a while you run across a scumbag. eBay has your back when necessary. Good Luck.

1 person likes this.
  12. Semitone

Semitone Senior Member

For "not as described items" you will also get your return shipping reimbursed at a stated rate. See the claims section on eBay.

4 people like this.
  13. wormburner

wormburner Senior Member

I've purchased two guitars from Ebay, from 100% rated sellers, and both had what I call significant cosmetic damage. I will never buy a guitar on Ebay again.
    Got a see 'em, play 'em first.

14. twangydave

twangydave Senior Member

Ebay/paypal is totally on the buyers side, he hasn't got a leg to stand on.

1 person likes this.
  15. Torren61

Torren61 Senior Member

You're covered if you paid with PayPal.

First, you send an email to the seller and state your grievances with the item. It doesn't matter if he said "no returns". Try to work out something. Would you keep the guitar if the price was lowered?

If that goes nowhere, open a case through PayPal's resolution center. Clearly describe what is the problem with the guitar.

Once, I bought a Martin acoustic from an eBay seller who didn't mention the scratches through the finish on the guitar's top. They didn't want to work out anything so I filed a complaint with PayPal. I told them I'd keep the guitar if the price was $400. They refunded me $400 from the seller's account. I bought a Martin guitar with scratches for $400!

Keep your cool and it'll be okay. Good luck.

1 person likes this.
  16. So What

So What Senior Member

I think everything has already been said, that can be said.

.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. cck801

cck801 Senior Member

Yeah, I agree with everyone on here--buyer protection should have you covered. I'm not sure how the seller thought he would get away with that. He should have known that he was inviting a huge hassle on everyone's part.

1 person likes this.
  18. jppage25

jppage25 Senior Member

Yes that is true but you have to open a case and have ebay decide in your favor 99% of the time they will as ebay buyer protection is just that buyer protection.

1 person likes this.
  19. michaelinokc

michaelinokc Senior Member

Sorry about your bad deal, but did you ask for pics of the back? Most buckle rash is pretty easy to see. Good luck getting restitution. Sounds pretty straightforward and shouldn't be a problem.

20. freddairy

freddairy Senior Member

Thanks for all tips guys. I opened a case with eBay and then went out for the night to forget about all this. I came home to these messages from the seller.

"First of all, the pics on ebay show the body in the condition it was in before it left, there is no cosmetic damage, the fist number in the serial number is a 7 everyone I have ask says that corrisponds with the year it was made, also I bought it as a 2007 gibson les paul, so its def, not a year 2000, and the frets are in great condition. Im sorry I m not sure what the issue is here.

Im not quite sure what the issue is? I feel like I've been a very upfront seller, I will not issue a refund, because I sold you exactly what I said I sold you, I shipped quickly and with everything intact. You can all me and we can discuss what you think is wrong."

I see belt buckle scratches on the back of a guitar that was listed as "no cosmetic damage." There are also a few dings in the back too. Most just in the finish and maybe I'm being too picky. But I'm really kind of irked that he said it was a 2007 model but the serial number checks out 2000. So it's like all these things are adding up to me being totally unhappy with my purchase.