NGD: Dean Custom 550 Floyd (2014, NOS)

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by tinman1, Oct 4, 2017.

1. tinman1

tinman1 Senior Member

Thought it was worth posting my recent eBay acquisition given this model appears to have dropped out of the Dean catalogue. Sold as "new other" as it was part of an unplayed collection, it arrived with the protective film still on the plastic parts. There is some evidence of playwear but nothing more than Id expect from a shop guitar or ex-demo model.

Overall the Korean construction appears good and the fretboard binding in particular is worthy of praise- better than many Gibson USA models I've seen recently and on a par with my R8. There are some minor flaws in the (?poly) finish but no deal breakers... in fact it's not entirely clear whether the tiny pock marks under the bridge pickup are from pick marks or tiny bubbles/ imperfections in the clear coat. And its a multi piece body which is quite obvious.

Well spec'd for a Korean made Dean though with EMG pickups and a FLoyd Rose 1000. As far as I can tell the main differences between this and the 450 which appears to remain in production are the thru neck (rather than set neck) and fingerboard binding. Nice ebony board (begs the question why Gibson don't use ebony more rather than rosewood which on lower end models is often quite rough. Why richlite rather than ebony on the Custom model?!) I digress though. Bags of sustain and plays as well as any of my other guitars. The EMGs sound great, the closest I've managed to emulating 80s metallica tone.

Benjammin likes this.
  2. Campbell

Campbell Senior Member

I own two Deans, both from their 35th anniversary commemorative line; Dean ML Chicago Standard and Dean Z Chicago Flame. Both made in Korea, both flawless. The Z has an ebony board, as well.

Dean guitars seem to take a lot of flack. Flogging that Dimebag fellow's name into the ground with an overabundance (and man, is that an understatement!) of Dimebag Signature models hasn't helped them any. But many of their Korean models and their US models can hold their own. I will put my Z Chicago Flame up against (almost) any Gibson US built Explorer for quality and construction.

Congrats on "gettin' your wings!"

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017 at 10:01 PM
    tinman1 likes this.
  3. tinman1

tinman1 Senior Member

Agreed, not just Dimebag who's endorsed Dean over the years either...I was surprised to discover recently that Billy Gibbons went through a Dean "phase", including the original furry guitars from the Legs video.

4. Campbell

Campbell Senior Member

Oh yes, both of the bearded fellows from ZZ Top used Deans. They had the ones with the "shrimp fork" head stocks. Mine have the huge, old school V's.

Not to mention Dave Mustaine still uses Deans. He loves them. As well as, Michael Schenker...both great players.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. tinman1

tinman1 Senior Member

Mega Dave has almost as many signature models as Dime these days....that zero is pretty desirable.

6. Campbell

Campbell Senior Member

Schenker is hot on his tail with his many Sigs, too.