NGD: Crews KTR LS-02

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by free713, Jan 13, 2017.

1. free713

free713 Senior Member

Arrived together with the Momose LP the other day. I have been curious about these guitars on yahoo for some time now, but knowing (or thinking I knew) that the entry level ones were basically Bacchus Classic series (which I looove), I thought they were a bit too expensive....until this on showed up at a very reasonable price.

Very nice quality "hard bag"
    [​IMG]

Plaintop with a few birdseyes here and there
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Nut, fretboard, bindings and fretwork is all very nice
    [​IMG]
    Two piece center seemed back
    [​IMG]

More pics

And the best thing is:

1. The 58 neck. Typical Bacchus Classic Series chunkiness and big shoulders with 1st fret at 23,32 mm and 12th fret at 25,20 mm

2. Weight is just around 3,9-4 kg, so very comfortable.

So what is different on this Crews LS-02 compared to a Bacchus Classic Series...well not much to be honest, but still some quite important things. To my ears the pickups on this one sound better - more balanced and with a sweeter upper midrange/treble were the pickups in the Bacchus CS could be a bit sterile/modern sounding.
    Another thing is the lacquer. Forum member Truckstopchuckie called it "orange peel" top coat...I actually like it...maybe it's called cloudy finish...it's really smooth and soft to the touch and kinda makes the guitar feel more worn in (in a good way)...

Other specs can be found on Musicland page about the LS-02

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    GammyBird likes this.
  2. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Senior Member

That is a really nice looking guitar. What kind of pups and how do they sound?

3. loke

loke Junior Member

4. TruckstopChuckie

TruckstopChuckie Senior Member

That's correct and that explains the similarities between the Bacchus Classic series and these Crews models (as the Bacchus brand is made at the Deviser factory).

5. korus

korus Senior Member

And how does it compare tone-wise to Momose? I understand there is a price difference, but it is not a guarantee ... Nut is a different material, this ABR-1 is not Tokiwa all brass I guess ... but what are your impressions overall for both, are they comparable?

6. free713

free713 Senior Member

Just like Bacchus Classic Series the LS-02 is a great guitar. The big neck and the low weight is a great combination. Overall great workmanship and great bang for the buck. Nice woody tones...but perhaps also a bit muddy/unfocused. The Momose is extremely balanced, very defined with sweet upper mids and highs...very hifi but without becoming sterile or too modern sounding.
    The Momose is on another level...which explanes that the used price is almost triple. The precision of the build, the materials used...everything is working together. Its insane and I think you have to pay at least 5000 euro to get someting like it from Gibson.

7. free713

free713 Senior Member

....obviously some of the difference comes from the different pickups. A Crews LS-02 or a Bacchus Classic Series with your favorite boutique pickups is IMO the absolute best choice if you want a Rx but dont have the funds for a Momose

8. korus

korus Senior Member

Thanks for your prompt replies! Now only to find a way to get a left handed Momose without paying at least double of what you paid, which is not very likely as it obviously has to be custom ordered and it is always ... much more even than regular pricing. If they are willing to make left handed one at all, that is.

9. welland

welland Senior Member

10. free713

free713 Senior Member

Yeah it's sounds great...the LS-02 ain't too shabby either. Made a sound clip

....and until I change my mind it's for sale in the mij classifieds thread

11. CaptainT

CaptainT Senior Member

That is some nice playing and tone!

Reminds me of Bonamassa:thumb:

12. AbbeSauniere

AbbeSauniere Senior Member

What's the rest of the set up? Sounds awesome!

13. free713

free713 Senior Member

Axe fx2...first a fender reverb'ish setting and then a Friedman setting at two different gain levels spiced with real dirt pedals. None of the settings are factory settings...I tweek EVERYTHING! :) And thanks for the kind words...really a great guitar...def. holds it's own against the Momose. The neck is amazing and it just plays great...really hard to let it go but I have a ton of guitars

14. Udonitron

Udonitron Psychedelic Stoner Rock Premium Member

You JUST got it and are selling it?

15. free713

free713 Senior Member

First in first out when bills need to be payed...but I'm on the verve of regretting and finding something else to sell

16. justinspv

justinspv Junior Member

anyone know where you can get a Crews LS-02 jr?

17. free713

free713 Senior Member

Phew first Failbucket->other imagehost completed. Used imagebb....seems very user friendly.

Some xtra info/question...seems the 2017(2016?) Crews LS01 and LS02 are no longer made by Devisor. (different inlays and trc)..I'm guessing they are now also made by Terada? Anyone in the know?