NGD: Corsa LCPG #020

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by JamesT, Dec 10, 2011.

1. JamesT

JamesT Senior Member

Yesterday was a pretty exciting day here as I finally received my LCPG guitar from Larry Corsa. Larry and I have been emailing back and for the for about 6 months. I just missed out on reserving one of his first batch of LCPG guitars and Larry went to Europe for a couple months so I had a lot of time to research not only the LCPG line but Larry as a builder. I couldn't find anybody who wasn't extremely glowing in their reviews of both Larry and his craft. The LCPG (Larry Corsa Peter Green Model) is Larry's tribute to not only Peter Green's classic Burst but his signature out of phase tone. I'm all for having a great looking guitar that looks great sitting on a stand when I'm not playing it but if it doesn't speak to me, it moves on. If you get both, you know you have a keeper.

So without further ado, here she is...review to follow :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

OK, if you made it past the beauty shots (I'll post more later) here's the scoop. The guitar weighs in at 7 LBs 4 ounces so she's on the light side but that is not a bad thing at all. The specs are top notch. 1 piece mahogany back and neck, solid flame maple 2 piece top, Aged Faber hardware, Kluson double rings tuners, CTS pots, and Larry's signature Manalishi pickups. It also came in a gorgeous Corsa signature stamped brown TKL Professional Series case with plush red velvet that is a perfect fit.

The top has some really beautiful flame and lots of mineral streaking (which totally pushes the right buttons for me). The honeyburst color is not a strong orange but actually between a lemondrop and honeyburst color depending on the light. The top carve is a very nice deep dish carve and the curves are really sexy. The finish is something pretty special. Larry doesn't use grain filler on the back at all so the pores in the mahogany allow the nitro finish to sink in nicely. The satin finish on the top is incredibly thin as well. As a result the guitar feels like it is breathing when you strum it. No heavy coats of filler or lacquer to deaden the tone. What's most impressive is that Larry is still able to produce a finish that looks great, feels good to play, and doesn't sap the tone.

About that tone. I'll let Larry's demo speak to the tone...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf_-PBa6914]

The Manalishi pickups have a very sweet and balanced output. They are definitely vintage wound more akin to a PAF so they don't get super hot but they have plenty of bite and dynamics. The Faber hardware helps the sustain noticeably as well. I'm not much a knob tweaker while I am playing but this guitar actually really rewards you for rolling the volume and tone knobs. I asked Larry to align the neck pickup in standard orientation but the neck pickup is still wired out of phase so the middle position nails the Peter Green tone unless you roll the volume back a little. I kept the PG mismatch knobs as a homage to what Larry replicating.

The action is perfect, the 50's neck profile is PERFECT for what I wanted. Not too thick and not a thin '60s profile either. Just right. For those who can't get passed the headstock shape, you're missing out. It looks really cool in person and just adds a nice signature touch to what is otherwise a very faithful Les Paul inspired guitar. I don't think I could compare this to my Edwards Pure Material as it feels like a totally different beast but I love them both for what they are. I'm lucky that they are different enough to not feel redundant.

As for Larry, I can't say enough great things about him. He was always good at getting back to me quickly with questions and provided me with progress photos all the way through. I'd buy another guitar from him in a heartbeat. Speaking of, he makes a gloss finish LCPG Manalishi model that has a Brazilian Rosewood fingerboard (mine is Indian which looks great) and several other premium ugrades. He's sold out for now but I might have to get on the list for next year. Check out his website at CV Guitars - Home and send him an email if you want to be on his email list.

OK, back to playing :thumb:

2. UITA

UITA Senior Member

Now that's a review. Afraid to say I'm one of the few regarding the headstock though.

Udonitron likes this.
  3. soberdave09

soberdave09 Senior Member

niccccccccccccce score,she's a real beauty

4. JDB

JDB Senior Member

very nice James, congrats:thumb: love the top and colour choice.

The only thing she needs is some good old mij aged rings and guard.:)

5. JamesT

JamesT Senior Member

The pickguard was an add on that I requested. Larry doesn't put them on stock but I wanted one as an option. I might upgrade the plastics to something more aged at some point but this works for now. I understand your feelings on the headstock Greg. I'm guess you might change your tune if you owned one though :)

6. wulfman

wulfman ABB Fan Premium Member

Wow, that is my kind of look and is among the best tops I have seen on an LP.
    and I do like the headstock design. Is that the "Green Manalishi" at the top?

Looks like a guitar that will age very well.

Congrats!

7. JamesT

JamesT Senior Member

Yes, that is the Green Manalishi. And I'm sure this one will wear really well with lots of playing and the thin finish. It's one I won't mind wearing on :)

Larry told me that he has some really primo figured maple (mine is a lot more exciting than some of his early builds) that he would be using for the next series of Manalishi models. You should email Larry and get in the loop so you know when those come up for reserve. After you finish your big LP sell off, a Corsa would be a nice keeper for you.

8. raul

raul Senior Member

Congratulations James, and thanks for the great review!

9. GammyBird

GammyBird Senior Member

Very nice guitar James. I don't mind the headstock too much if they all sound like that :D

Congrats!! :thumb:

10. mono

mono Senior Member

Very bucking sweet!!!!

11. Matty

Matty Senior Member

Wow, I agree with Harold, one of the sweetest tops ever! Love the mineral streaks :)

12. vintageJIM

vintageJIM Banned

luv that top & the color too :slash:

if she sounds & plays like she looks, then U gotta a damn winner there :cool: .............

Congrats :)

13. fragchamp

fragchamp Senior Member

Congrats! Probably the lightest LPs I heard of from this maker.

14. JamesT

JamesT Senior Member

Not even close Frag :) He has several finished ones that came in several ounces below 7LBs and two Superlight models (one still available) that will just barely tip the scales above 6LBs!! That's too light for my taste but honestly this one doesn't feel like a feather, just really comfortable to play standing up.

15. Midnight Blues

Midnight Blues Premium Member

Congrats James, she's a beauty and thanks for sharing the pics and review (a good one btw). :applause:

Personally, I like the headstock and I'd love to have one myself!

16. Udonitron

Udonitron Psychedelic Stoner Rock Premium Member

Nice man...it looks damn good!
    Have fun with it.

17. JDB

JDB Senior Member

How about some back snaps!

18. Udonitron

Udonitron Psychedelic Stoner Rock Premium Member

Check out how eerily close these two are, down to the mineral streak locations, colour, flame type, board, etc.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thomas/Sweden and JamesT like this.
  19. GammyBird

GammyBird Senior Member

Yep, they're a lot alike!

20. fragchamp

fragchamp Senior Member

Yeah, I wrote too lazily. I meant the LPs from this maker are the lightest I've heard of. Cool that he puts up all the demos too.