NGD: Cherry 'burst R9 (2016)

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by Andy California, Sep 25, 2017.

1. BBD

BBD Senior Member

Never mind fiddling around with luthier's tools - the proof is in the playing. I'd not worry about the frets unless a problem persists that a touch of truss rod adjustment and bridge height tweaking cannot resolve. Always leave the metal-removal option until the very last... after a professional setup and only on pro advice from a good tech.

mudface likes this.
  2. mudface

mudface Senior Member

I have been playing Gibsons well over 40 years, some with nasty fret wear little alone uneven frets, (Brian May's homemade guitar has some jacked up frets and he won't re-fret it, go figure) anyways, nothing beats a great set-up. To be honest i believe a guitar needs to be played in a few weeks before a proper set-up, as yours is brand new i would play it in awhile and search for dead spots, fretting out, and show your tech what your concerns are and let him do a proper set-up before shaving any frets. Good luck:cheers:

BBD likes this.
  3. Detector

Detector Senior Member

Very nice!

I prefer a flame top with a bit of character. Some of them look so much alike you can't tell one from another. I want to be able to spot mine by unique pattern out of a heard of flame tops.

4. tinman1

tinman1 Senior Member

Lovely looking R9. Agree and also prefer less uniform flame tops. They look far more vintage or "custom shop" than the super regular, straight flame commonly seen on USA models or budget guitars. Also agree with previous comments about not looking for problems. I had a fret dress on a strat recently but only because it was very specifically fretting out on high E string bends at the 18th fret.

5. Andy California

Andy California Member

Thank you for recommendations, guys! Anyway, I'm not in a rush to "fix" anything just yet :)

Totally :)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    mudface likes this.
  6. musicmaniac

musicmaniac Senior Member

Nice! Welcome to the club.