NGD - Charvel Pro-Mod San Dimas

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by rjwilson37, Sep 11, 2017.

1. rjwilson37

rjwilson37 Senior Member

I recently sold 4 of my guitars and I have been looking at these every now and then, since I definitely like a nice Super Strat. I liked my EVH Striped series, but it was lacking a little bit and rather than modding it, I decided to go with the Charvel San Dimas to replace it. Iv'e heard a lot of good things about the Charvels with the 6 pack of tone, for the different tone variations as well as how the neck plays/feels. You can't go wrong with a SD JB in the bridge and SD 59 in the neck for some great tones, and the coil tapping gives you some nice tonal characteristics. I can't wait until she arrives sometime this week.

Sweetwater sent me some pictures of my guitar, I will post them later when I get home.

Who else has one of the newer Charvel Pro-Mod's Made in Mexico, I would love to hear your opinions.

lakeburst, El Pablo and Who like this.
  2. danohat

danohat Senior Member

I have one. I am in love with it. It's made me a new man, dammit! It's the first guitar I grab almost every day.

3. ShawnM

ShawnM Junior Member

I have a So-Cal, really like it. Great guitars for the money IMO. Fit and finish are great, nice neck, rolled edges and no sharp fret ends.
    I'd really like to pick up a hard tail San Dimas with rosewood board.
    I'm sure your going to love it.

4. tzd

tzd Senior Member

Sure, I've got both a 2016 San Dimas and a 2015 So Cal:

[​IMG]

Their necks are totally different. 2015 has a one-piece quarter sawn maple with a super slim profile and meticulously rolled edges, making it the favorite neck of all my guitars. I have changed the pickups of my So Cal from Duncan Distortions to Di Marzio 36th Anniversary PAF/Super Distortion.

The 2016/17 San Dimas has a rounder 2-piece neck with EVH-style truss rod adjustment at the base of the neck, as well as coil-splittable pickups and a tone control knob.

To be honest I find the 3-way switch on the San Dimas get in the way of rolling the volume knob, although I have gotten used to it by now.

These are my favorite guitars along with my Schecter Sun Valley Super Shredder FR-S.

Benjammin likes this.
  5. rjwilson37

rjwilson37 Senior Member

Thank you for the reply's, I can't wait until Friday. :) Here are the pictures I promised from Sweetwater of my new guitar.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. freak

freak Senior Member

See my avatar. I have two. Yellow, and white. Absolutely love them. you can roll off the volume for some nice cleans. And I play with a LOT of gain.

7. tzd

tzd Senior Member

Nice, is that Trans Purple? Doesn't really show up in their photos.

8. rjwilson37

rjwilson37 Senior Member

Nice Yellow one, I like the colored ones, but they were just a little to much for me. Mine is the Transparent Purple Haze, which is pretty dark and subtle, but you can still see the Purple Burst at the right angles and depending on how much light. I guess I will know more about how it really looks, once I get it in person. I liked the Rocket Red, which is a bit Orange, but not deep enough Orange for my liking.

9. rjwilson37

rjwilson37 Senior Member

I thought these came with a Gig Bag, but it looks like I will have to buy a Case or Gig Bag for it.

10. rjwilson37

rjwilson37 Senior Member

My Guitar came today and of course did not come with a Gig bag, and I really think they should at least come with a Charvel Gig Bag. I picked up the Charvel Hard Case from GC for $125, which is made by SKB so it should be nice.

Here are the pics I promised. You can barely see the purple burst except in flash or bright lights at the right angle. I spent about a half hour playing it during my lunch break from work. The quality is very good and the guitar came setup very well from Sweetwater. The intonation is perfect, no matter where you move on the neck it is perfectly in tune even with full bar chords in and around the twelfth fret. I am very please with this purchase, the pickups sound fantastic as well, I really do love a JB in the bridge position and a 59 at the neck position. Even with my Mesa Boogie on some pretty high gain, I backed down the volume and it cleaned up nicely.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  11. rjwilson37

rjwilson37 Senior Member

Well, all I have to say is wow! This guitar is just totally sweet, well worth the money paid. I like it much better than my EVH Striped that I just sold. I am so happy I made this purchase, it feels fantastic and sounds amazing as well.

needlespauls and danohat like this.
  12. Bud Stoner

Bud Stoner Senior Member

I've been wanting a San Dimas in Neon Pink for awhile, with Slime Green coming in as a very close second choice.

They really are sweet guitars, and congrats to the OP for his new gitfiddle! :cheers::cheers2:

13. rjwilson37

rjwilson37 Senior Member

Thank you Stoner, you will not be disappointed if you get your hands on one of these.

Bud Stoner likes this.
  14. Olds442

Olds442 Senior Member

very nice!

15. Heppe

Heppe Senior Member

Looks great!

Happy new guitar day!

How is the neck on the San Dimas?

Is it like a Fender Am std strat or more like the Ibanez wizard?

16. rjwilson37

rjwilson37 Senior Member

Thanks, the neck feels great and is more like the EVH or newer Standard Strat.

Heppe likes this.
  17. rjwilson37

rjwilson37 Senior Member

I picked up this guitar last night, after being gone for a week and played it for a bit. It was perfectly in tune still and it is just a total joy to play. The play/feel of the neck is fantastic and the tone from the pickups is just stellar to the max. Love this guitar and think it will be one of my main guitars for years to come. :jam:

18. danohat

danohat Senior Member

I want more.

19. tzd

tzd Senior Member

Here's a taste of my Black Burst

needlespauls likes this.
  20. rjwilson37

rjwilson37 Senior Member

Sweet, great playing and it sounds amazing with some great tone! :headbanger: