NGD: Burny Randy Rhoads - LC-70RR, which actually is RLC-60

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by JanHammer666, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Troy McClure

Troy McClure Senior Member

Yes just meant the top half of the body is maple on the RR models but usually mahogany on the RLC blacks and white models. The RR model I had was also more of a yellowed colour than the artic white of the RLC models too, I preffered the RLC as they aged much more realistically to nitro in my opinion, the RR was alost bananna yellow.

I've replaced both the tailpiece (string stopper) and the bridge on my burny's before with Gotoh metric parts before , they're decent quality parts. The Gibson parts are imperial sizes so won't fit properly, the Gotoh bridge and tailpiece should slot onto the existing bridge posts and tailpice fixings. I've had to replace a few of the bridges as they seem to collapse over time and the gotoh ones a relatively cheap and good replacement.

The bore diameter on those schaller is 9.8mm so not sure if they'll just slot in , you may need to ream the holes to widen them slightly, plus the screw hole is in a different place to the gotoh's but it's an easy job. I just measured a spare Gotoh tulip tuner I have and the bore diameter is 9.3mm, not sure if it's off a Burny though and they're not usually a tight fit so you may be able to slot them in.

JanHammer666 likes this.
  2. brokentoeswalker

brokentoeswalker Senior Member

If your guitar has an all mahogany body i'd consider it a bonus. Damn fine looking guitar.

3. JanHammer666

JanHammer666 Junior Member

Thank you! And Troy, thank you too!

Yes it is a very nice looking guitar and the acoustic sound of it is HUGE! It is very loud sounding guitar, in a good way. This guitar is just so easy to play, easy to do bends etc.

VH3-pickups do also sound very good so I think that there is no need to change them. I had one guitar shop made me all the electronics for my strat (even though usa-deluxe -electronics were pretty good but i wanted something more aggressive) and now it has only a red button killswitch, volume, coil splitter and HSH-pickups. This Burny will definitely not have that kind of customizations. What I am planning to do is to swap tuners and bridge/string stopper (thanks for the metric info, Troy, i read about that too last night). Also the saddle is in pretty bad shape. The paint has cracked a bit from the both sides just under the saddle and glue looks like it has been boiling, you know bubbly :D It's also worn because previous owner used very heavy gauge strings.

I will look up on the wood things and talk with the previous owner. I don't think that even he knows that this might (probably isn't) not be RR. I checked the forum where he has all his equipment listed and there was his rr custom burny listed. The price seems to be comparable to the ones in eBay, Japan and I had mine delivered for me to test at our gig venue!

Of course I am a bit disappointed that this isn't a RR because that's what I bought, that's what I wanted and that's what was sold to me. And because the whole model was wrong about all the other specs were wrong too. For example, the previous owner told me that it was all-maple body (and that can actually be the case, because catalog had that option for RLC but not for the RR, lol).

Ps. To pickguard or not to pickguard :D As an 'ex-strats only' -man my right hand feels weird when the pickguard is there but then again I have always loved the LP look with pickguard. And this white IMO looks a bit.. pale? empty? when the pickguard is removed. There is nice fades around the pickguard are, the body area under the pickguard is much lighter and it looks very vintage because of that:D

IMG_0039.JPG IMG_0069.JPG IMG_0072.JPG IMG_0073.jpg IMG_0075.JPG IMG_0076.jpg

wulfman likes this.
  4. JanHammer666

Body is all mahogany without the maple parts. Nice. And this information came from the previous owner but I just remembered wrong. So no maple here :) Rr’s had the maple top, at least that's the only combination listed in the 1988 catalog. So no way this is a RR

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    brokentoeswalker likes this.
  5. JanHammer666

Btw just to make sure: I personally don't think that I was fooled or anything. The previous owner told me that he bought it from the same forum that where he sold it; it is relatively small so if you buy a guitar from there and also sell it there, there's no way you can change the model without the previous owner and others noticing it. And he also told that he bought it as a Randy Custom.

I would like to thank everyone who involved in this short but very interesting case :) In conclusion: I play white RLC60 Burny from 1988 February because my guitar has all mahogany body and Gotoh tuners.

6. Shredder69

Shredder69 Junior Member

The Revials started before the RR, so no...

The variants of the RR should be these AFAIK (simplified year ranges). Comments and corrections much appreciated.
    1982-1985 Small Diamond - Kasuga made, pimped RLC-60 shape with maple/mahogany
    1985-1986 Large Diamond - Matsumoku made, true '70s shape with volute, different from RLC-60
    1987-1988 Large Diamond - Dyna made, pimped RLC-60 shape with maple/mahogany
    1989-1990? Lightning Diamond - Dyna made, pimped RLC-70 with maple/mahogany. Engraved pickguard, but no brass ring ('89 catalog ring seems black)?
    1991?-1999 Lightning Diamond - Dyna made, pimped RLC-70. Listed as maho only. No brass ring or engraved pickguard. (Burny Classics brochure)
    2000's Sunfan - Yako made, pimped RLC-55. Maple/mahogany, no brass ring or engraved pickguard.